WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Success with my Husqvarna 1867 Rolling block, new bullet did the trick.

Boolit Master

Success with my Husqvarna 1867 Rolling block, new bullet did the trick.

I have a Husky 1867, that I had not fooled with much for a year or more. It came sporterized, and I refinished the metal, and the wood, and put some decent sights on it. I had tried the Lee .450 gr slug for a .500 smith that I cast, and tried a Lyman .50 plains bullet, 390 grains. No consistency for either bullet, and they bot seemed big enough. Well today I was casting some Lee .515, 500grain slugs out of 1/2 wheel weights/pure lead, for my 50/70 Trapdoor. I had made about 500 up, and decided to load some up, with 12grs of Unique,to try on the 12.7 Husky. I made a dummy round, breech block woud not close, and the bullet was in as far as it should go. I remembered that I had mistakenly trimmed some about .100 of an inch too short. I dug them out and primed, powdered, and seated some of the 500gr slugs, in the crimping ring, with the 12gr of Unique. I went out to the car port and elbowed up on my Rav 4, and picked a bar spot on a steep bank where I could not get ricochet's, and picked out a white rock about 2" around, stood out on the red clay bank. I have a tall ft sight and had raised the rear peep up quite a bit, when shooting it the other day. At the same spot, it was all over the place, 3 feet groups if that. I held on the rock, and hit about 4" over it. So I held the same place for 2 more shots, and they went in the same place, I meant exactly the same place. I got on my 4 wheeler and drove over, and with a tap measure, the hole diameter, was 1-3/4 inches, at 140 yds. I was pretty well good to go with that group, came and loaded 3 more up, held on the same place, and just kept on stacking them. I am tickled pink with this load. This rifle is supposed to have the barrel that is from a old ML, I do know the rifling is Hexagonal, like a Whitworth, with a fast twist, probably about 1-30 or faster. This would make a great deer hunting rifle, 150 yds in would be a cake walk. Anyway, just thought I would share.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Kroger, you might try taking that plains boolit and use pure lead and use some black powder instead of smokeless and see how it does too. The black and a pure soft plains boolit should fill the barrel just fine. It might just be another type of cartridge you could use if needed.

Boolit Master
    Thanks MOA, I had considered that, as black powder loads are some of the most accurate loads I have ever shot in my 45/70's, back in the early 90's. I have a bunch of SPG bullet lube put back, and used Steve Garvey's method of loading, never tried anything else, since it worked so good. I wanted to stay away from it, their is a lot of extra work to cleaning brass and processing it. The slug I am shooting is doing so good with the Unique load, I hate to change anything. I might order a Lee mold for the 450 gr slug.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Koger, yes the brass and the cleaning is no doubt the biggest down side to black for most. If I didn't own a wet/pin/SS tumbler I might do less myself. Here's some of my days loading.

Lee's .515 dia. 450 & 500 grain boolits being cast.

The boolits.

The plains loaded with black with a wax carton wad.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, some good looking loads.