RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proper fit grips...too much to ask?

Proper fit grips...too much to ask?

Waited a month for Altamont Classic Panels for my 624 (N-frame square butt). I got these because I really like my 10-year old Altamont classic panels on my 19 (K-frame square butt) with a KB adapter. My favorite handgun grip period. So I had high hopes for the N-frame with a Tyler's t-grip which I have on order.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	altamont1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	262520

The ears do not fit well at all. These are critical for for comfort under recoil...even more important in hard recoiling N-frames.

Name:	altamont2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	262521

Name:	altamont3.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	262522

The grip was not cut down the middle either. It's clear it is crooked and this results in a cant that effects the entire grip. It doesn't feel bad or anything, but come on. Is this high-school shop class?

Also you can see how thin these are. They are noticeably thinner than the K-frame's. What gives? You need something to hold onto with these big brutes.

Here is a Hogue so that is not perfect but a lot better.

Name:	hogue1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	262523

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    Waited a month for Altamont Classic Panels for my 624 (N-frame square butt). I got these because I really like my 10-year old Altamont classic panels on my 19 (K-frame square butt) with a KB adapter. My favorite handgun grip period. So I had high hopes for the N-frame with a Tyler's t-grip which I have on order.

The ears do not fit well at all. These are critical for for comfort under recoil...even more important in hard recoiling N-frames.

The grip was not cut down the middle either. It's clear it is crooked and this results in a cant that effects the entire grip. It doesn't feel bad or anything, but come on. Is this high-school shop class?

Also you can see how thin these are. They are noticeably thinner than the K-frame's. What gives? You need something to hold onto with these big brutes.
    Have you talked to the manufacturer yet, maybe sent them a copy of that photo? I sure would, as I've been pricing grips for several pistols lately. They are not inexpensive. Also, have you considered making a set yourself, to fit YOUR hands? It's not really hard, though it does take some time. Might be a good project for the times, too. I'm more of a wood butcher than a wood worker, but I did a set about 40 years ago that was nice for an old Iver Johnson break-top 38 S&W I once owned. Miss that pistol.

Bill

Grip fit bugs me, too. I would complain and see if they can do better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Also, have you considered making a set yourself, to fit YOUR hands? It's not really hard, though it does take some time.
    Yes, in fact I have. Working in walnut is difficult, but not nearly as difficult as those epoxy-impregnated birch laminates.

Name:	mine2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	262528

Name:	myine.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	262529

Making a S&W grip from scratch is no trivial matter by the way. The frame in-letting is very complicated and it is far easier to start with an over sized grip that fits the frame and then bring it down to size and shape that suits the user.

Epoxy has made things easier though. It is possible to in let using epoxy.

Grips were one thing I don't always do myself. Long ago I found that no holster was right.

Boolit Master
    I have little to no talent for grip making, so unfortunately for me I have to have them fitted. It's not inexpensive but at least they fit the frame as I want. In my case the revolvers I have fitted grips on are all single actions. I can just take the grip fame off and send it to the grip maker (which you already know). A S&W DA would be quite a bit more because of shipping the whole thing. It's an expensive hobby for the folks that like things "just right". I'm a Poster Child for the last sentence....

Have you looked at Culinga yet? Not too sure, but maybe his would be a better fit though more $$. I'm tempted everytime I look at his website.

Boolit Buddy
    My VZ grips are doing great. I recommend them.

I took Hogue wood grips off my 586 and put a set of Altamonts on it and got a poor fit in the same places. It sure doesn't say much for CNC or maybe the operator. The Hogues fit much better.

That's a pet peeve of mine, too. Even factory Grips don’t fit any more, at least on Ruger single aCtions..

Hope you get this resolved, but other than full custom grips I don’t know that there’s much hope.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master

With Herrett's going out of business, I wonder how many truly custom grip makers are still out there? I did find a company called Custom Firearm Products that will make a truly custom grip, and they are the ONLY company that I have ever found that will make a grip for a Ruger double action. I'm waiting on a set for an SP101 right now, so far it sounds like they are going well.

As for Altamont, I don't like them. I've tried a few of theirs. Generic is how I would describe Altamont.

Something happened at Altamont.....but I don't know what it was. I ordered two sets of grips from them about 5 years ago (S&W mod. 10 & 15) and they were very nice. Last year I reordered the same grips for different revolvers, same models. First thing that happened was that I got an e-mail back from them almost immediately saying that there would be a delay, and I could have an instant refund if I wanted it. I didn't mind waiting, and when they showed up they were not quite the fit of the first set, but good enough that I decided to keep them. I don't know if there was a change in personnel, machinery, or what-- but I have to agree that they're not quite as good as they once were.

DG

Boolit Man
    I had the same experience with Altamonts. I ordered a set of their Altai grips for my 617. Fitting was way off. Contacted them, returned and exchanged for a new set. New set was just as bad. Returned them for a full refund and was done. Its a shame, because they have a ton of nice stuff in their catalog.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

I've had mixed results from Altamont. The good thing is they will exchange or refund your purchase if you are not completely satisfied. I have had to send at least a couple of grips back to them. After sending them some photos and describing my complaints they finally got it right. I would best describe them as "semi-custom" grip makers. I have to say that I do love their Olivewood grips, and have a couple of winners in that wood.

Boolit Buddy
    got a set for my sp 101, same thing didn't fit well at all.

Boolit Master
    I forgot about VZ Grips. You have to like G10 (and I most certainly do) but every pair I've seen mounted looked like a nice fit. I've put a pair for my M60 357 Magnum in the cart a few times, but never follow through.

I'm going to go look right now.

Boolit Master
    I forgot about VZ Grips. You have to like G10 (and I most certainly do) but every pair I've seen mounted looked like a nice fit. I've put a pair for my M60 357 Magnum in the cart a few times, but never follow through.

I have also had bad luck with altamont. I ordered two pairs for ruger single actions. The first pair didn’t come close to fitting, and the second set, the piece that the screw went in was loose. They did gladly refund my money though.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DHDeal View Post

That is nothing but another vanilla boot grip for the SP101. There must be 20 different makers of that same exact grip, of various materials.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Something happened at Altamont.....but I don't know what it was. I ordered two sets of grips from them about 5 years ago (S&W mod. 10 & 15) and they were very nice. Last year I reordered the same grips for different revolvers, same models. First thing that happened was that I got an e-mail back from them almost immediately saying that there would be a delay, and I could have an instant refund if I wanted it. I didn't mind waiting, and when they showed up they were not quite the fit of the first set, but good enough that I decided to keep them. I don't know if there was a change in personnel, machinery, or what-- but I have to agree that they're not quite as good as they once were.

DG
    I have ordered several sets of grips from them over the years, and they have always sent me that email asking if I minded waiting a few weeks for my order. I just figured that's how they did things, which kind of makes me wonder why some of their grips are occasionally out of stock. If they've got to make them anyways, why limit me to choices A, B, and D when I would have preferred choice C?

I just ordered a set of grips for a K frame a few days ago. I hope they don't have the same issue as curioushooter. I don't mind a minor fit issue, but that's pretty far off.

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately in this day and time, if you want a perfect fit for (revolver) grips, you have to go custom. Custom as in, you send the grip maker your gun or grip frame, and he makes your grips to fit.

As far as Ruger single action revolvers, Ruger individually grinds/sands/polishes their grip frames, and no two are identical - even two sequential grip frames done by the same worker. I guess that Ruger figures that anyone who actually cares about such things will spend the money for custom-fit grips. The average shooter might complain about the lack of proper grip fit, but probably won't do anything more. They might call customer service and whine about it, and CS will send them another set of grips that won't fit. Otherwise, they might buy a set of aftermarket grips that won't fit either.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I would rather they send them slightly oversized than undersized at least then you can make them fit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast