Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Bearcat 22

Ruger Bearcat 22

Seems like another new one from Ruger. The Bearcat is a kinda replica of and reminiscent to the Remington New Army model ... scaled down.

It seems to be a single cylinder gun in 22 LR without the mag cylinder.

Just wondered if anybody has one and cares to give a impression of it and a shootability report.

Does the grip geometry pinch the middle fingrr?
    Does the cylinder stop , in the gate open position, that lines up with the ejector rod?
    Is the cylinder countersunk?
    How is the balance ?
    Accuracy?
    Trigger pull?
    Size compared to single six?

Thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    It's very small. Doesn't fit a man's hand at all. Great for instructing the youngster. Trigger pull is crisp but not heavy. Mine has fired less than 100 rounds and the brass often sticks. Hoping that'll clear up.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Thanks. If you are familiar with col. Colts pocket 31 cal revolvers or the 1862 Police models ... is this new Bearcat this size or slightly bigger?

Just trying to get a comparison sizewise. Also is the frame / cylinder steel or a tempered aluminum?

Thanks for your reply and info.

The Bearcat has been around since the 1960s. Maybe you are thinking of the Wrangler. The Bearcat is cute and expensive, the Wrangler is normal sized. I have medium large hands( long fingers) and I have no trouble with either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tex, no I am looking into the size and sturdyness of the Bearcat model. I am contemplating one for a small and sturdy little revolver chambered in 22 LR and accurate to harvest small game with when out n about in the sticks.

If this is not in my wheelhouse , then I will look elsewhere. Maybe a SP 101 or Single six or a S&W J frame with a 3 or 4 inch barrel.

I have no interest in an alloy framed revolver.

The Colt New Frontier is a distinct possibility if I could get into a pristine shape one and affordable. Also getting the mag cylinder along with a Single six or Colt New Frontier.

I just thought if the Bearcat was a close size to an old Colt model Police 1862, then having and enjoying the old Police '62' then a Bearcat should do for me in fine shape.

I was betting TBG was right about you thinking "Wrangler", but now that you've confirmed "Bearcat", yes, I can tell you a little. I bought one for each of my two granddaughters to learn to shoot with. They are working just fine for that purpose. Both are the newer model, but one is about 10 years older than the other, and both work without a hitch. However, I think that your reservations may be well founded, especially if you have large hands, as I find them kind of awkward to handle, load, unload, etc. They would be a great gun for plinking stuff in the woods, easy to carry in a pack or wherever, but I think I'd go for the Wrangler. The Bearcats aren't cheap, and the Wranglers aren't expensive.

DG

For as long as I have known of their existence I have drooled over Bearcats.

For as long as I knew of their existence, I've owned/shot 8 different Ruger BC's - all .22LR Old Models.

I've never had any issues with handling/shooting them, except that most would not zero (fixed sights) with any of the various types/brands of ammo available to me (why, one by one, I sold them)

The exception is my current 1969 BC - which shoots several different types of ammo to the POA @ 15yds.

BTW, with the exception of the New Model BC's made around 1999, all were chambered by Ruger in .22LR.

Ruger ditched they aluminum alloy frame in favor of steel (Super Bearcat) about 1990. then later started making them in stainless.

The ca. 1999 dual cylinder (LR/Mag) were quickly recalled due to .22Mag issues; the few that weren't sent in for the recall bringing big bucks (around $1K) today.

The BC was briefly discontinued for a bit, before Ruger introduced the New Model Bearcat, which has the transfer bar safety built into a slightly larger frame than old model BC's

This is my 1969 model:

Last edited by pietro; 05-25-2020 at 05:43 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

One more thing I'd like to say about them-- they are high quality, well made little revolvers. You get what you pay for.

I went through a bunch of old model Bearcats back when they weren’t old models. Never did get one that printed sights. I have a Single-6 I got new in 63, fixed sights and it shoots fine. I keep it more less for sentimental purposes. In revolvers it is hard to beat a S&W 34 Kit gun for size and weight. I have small hands and put J Target grips on mine. It will shot better than I can hold it. A Colt New Frontier is slightly lighter than Ruger Single-6, both about equal for accuracy which is good. When you get into this size then you are in S&W 18 territory which is about the best you can get without going to m17, K22 which is the best. The Ruger SP 101s are nice but heavy, stiff trigger and sights leave something to be disired. I also went through a dozen 22 auto loaders of 32 frame size, no plastics except SIG Mosquito. No acceptable accuracy. A step smaller the Berretta 21a Bobcat wasn’t bad for fixed sight but awful small. A step up was S&W 422 4” with adj sights. Nice light weight and flat easy to carry. Fine accuracy and dependability.

Boolit Master
    I confess I am a bearcat fan. I have owned a single six since 1976 and always liked it, but I like the bearcat better. Mine shoots to the sights, well after a bit of file work. It is small, a plus, but fits my size 9-10 hand just fine, just like the 1862 police you asked about. It is also accurate, along every the same lines of the Single Six and M63 Smith.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57BE47CB-902D-40BE-A6F7-4B2B846C2F67.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	262543

And the bearcat on top of the Colt 1862, yes it is a Colt from the 1970s, Colt Black PowderClick image for larger version. 

Name:	A971FEA8-925A-46BB-9892-917B2EBB694D.jpg 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	262545

I actually don’t know about where the cyl stops, it is easy to load and punch empties, but I hold the gun in my left palm and rotate the cyl with thumb and index finger as I load or unload with the right. Never have understood the issue so can’t say.
    Balance is good, it’s smaller than the SS and lighter. All steal on the new generation since the 90s. Trigger is actually better than I expected but NOT as nice as a 60s bearcat I played with a bit. Nothing that can’t be fixed fairly easily.
    Last edited by rking22; 05-21-2020 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Extra pic
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I confess I am a bearcat fan. I have owned a single six since 1976 and always liked it, but I like the bearcat better. Mine shoots to the sights, well after a bit of file work. It is small, a plus, but fits my size 9-10 hand just fine, just like the 1862 police you asked about. It is also accurate, along every the same lines of the Single Six and M63 Smith.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57BE47CB-902D-40BE-A6F7-4B2B846C2F67.jpg 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	262543

And the bearcat on top of the Colt 1862, yes it is a Colt from the 1970s, Colt Black PowderClick image for larger version. 

Name:	A971FEA8-925A-46BB-9892-917B2EBB694D.jpg 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	262545

I actually don’t know about where the cyl stops, it is easy to load and punch empties, but I hold the gun in my left palm and rotate the cyl with thumb and index finger as I load or unload with the right. Never have understood the issue so can’t say.
    Balance is good, it’s smaller than the SS and lighter. All steal on the new generation since the 90s. Trigger is actually better than I expected but NOT as nice as a 60s bearcat I played with a bit. Nothing that can’t be fixed fairly easily.
    Perfect! That is just the comparison I was seeking. It really looks like it is the very same in size as the 62 Police. I betcha the weight is very close as well.

I very much enjoy my 62 police and have often wondered about trying to do a 22 conversion with it but ... do not want to fiddle with my perfect 62.

Weirdly the 62 fits my big hands and hoped to find a like weight and grip configured that compares. Might be that this all steel Bearcat would fill this bill nicely.

Thank you for the overlay and comparison that I had in mind. Very helpful

You would have loved this one, a 22lr conversion I picked up in a lot from an estate. Shot it but sights were lacking as was ejector system, you had to punch them out with rod. I will have to say it was very comfortable gun to handle and fire.Attachment 262549

Actually, the BC is exactly the same size & grip style as the BP Remington Model 1863 Pocket.

Boolit Master

I bought my wife one for Christmas of 99. We still have it and shoot it often. I like it a lot. It's all blued with steel trigger guard.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    You would have loved this one, a 22lr conversion I picked up in a lot from an estate. Shot it but sights were lacking as was ejector system, you had to punch them out with rod. I will have to say it was very comfortable gun to handle and fire.Attachment 262549
    That looks like a cap n ball 62 police like mine. Tell more please on the 22 LR conversion. THAT would be the PERFECT 22 for me ... as long as the conversion does not change the revolver.

Guess I could obtain a Uberti 62 or pocket navy for the conversion.

Is it repeatable accurate?

Boolit Buddy
    We love the little Bearcats here. Have had 6 over the yrs. I have one from 1959 and Dad has a 2002 (I believe), my wife has a stainless “Shop Keeper”. I’m looking at one of the 6” models from Lipseys right now.

Lipseys has quite a few different models/styles, including Ajustable sight models.

I wish Uberti or someone would make a Remington 1863 Pocket, that thing is Awesome!
    Last edited by Wheelgun; 05-22-2020 at 03:16 PM.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Master

I'd like to see the Ruger Bearcat in a 5 shot 32 S&W long.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

This was no basement job. It’s been two years since I had that gun, I think a forum member bought it. If I remember it was a Colt* repro. The barrel was inserted with liner, the cylinder was bored and chamber inserts installed.Notice loading gate. I can’t remember but hammer must have been modified for RF. Me and Bro fired 100rds just for grins but really don’t know anything about it.
    I would say it must have been a kit. Slightly knowing deceased owner he had no skill so local Smith would have put it together. You might back track my sale posts and see who bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I'd like to see the Ruger Bearcat in a 5 shot 32 S&W long.

FWIW, the .32 conversion is only done on a steel frame BC - aka: Ruger New Bearcat - because it has a larger/stronger frame that's big enough to take a 5-shot .32cal cylinder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast