Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Sprue Plate Pivot Wear

Boolit Bub

Sprue Plate Pivot Wear

I have a couple of Miha's brass molds that are showing wear on the brass at the pivot screw. What am I doing wrong? I could cry when I see the wear marks on those beautiful molds.

Boolit Master
    Plate down too tight or you are not using a lube (that won't contaminate cavities).

Moulds are like cars. If you want to keep them perfect don't use them. Otherwise lube pivot points regularly

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Banner Sponsor

Works great!

Banned
    EVERY TIME I use a mold I lube the sprues plate pivot point, the pins, the top of the mold, and bottom of the sprue plate. synthetic 2 stroke additive works great.

The sprue does not need to be tight. just so you can't see light between the sprue plate and the top of the mold. I have some molds where I can just slick my wrist and the sprue plate will swing back into position.

Boolit Grand Master

Sprue Plate Lube
    You can use Synthetic Two Stroke (two cycle) oil , the kind meant for a chainsaw or weed eater , a small bottle will last most of a life time . I got small bottle at wally mart $1.97 ...that's all you need .
    Apply to underside of plate and top of block at wear marks , apply sparingly with a Q-Tip , note the word ...sparingly... that's important . Keep sprue plate adjusted while casting ...don't get it too tight .
    This will help but you will see wear because you're using it ...sorry .
    I've got a NOE Elmer Keith Signature mould that I haven't used yet because it's a work of art and I'm loath to mess it up .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I do love my MP Molds, but I wish they had the same type sprue plate stop as Accurate Molds from the factory. I modified most of mine just that way using the same screw as used for the sprue plate pivot (McMaster-Carr). I can now run them with a relatively loose plate as that new stop screw holds the plate. Maybe my explanation isn't too clear, so just think of the way an Accurate Molds sprue plate works (in other words, fantastic). Another side benefit of this modification is that I can run my MP Molds very fast.

Still gotta lube it though, but there seems to be less wear and tear being able to run the plate loose.