WidenersRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Velocity\Energy loss semi auto vs bolt?

Boolit Buddy

Velocity\Energy loss semi auto vs bolt?

I sent a single shot 308 into Rossi to be repaired about 7 months ago,and yesterday I was told they would be replacing it ,and they are allowing me $272,but I have to choose from Rossi's web sight. They have little to choose from in the price range,so I am thinking about a 22 mag semi automatic rifle for $262,even though I see them selling on other sights for about$40 less. I can get a bolt 22 mag,but they don't cost as much,and I would like to get as close to the $272 they are offering me..My question is how much,if any energy is robbed by the action of the semi auto ,when compared to the bolt..I know it is probably a dumb question,but I hate to give up too much velocity on a 22 mag.

Boolit Grand Master

The 22 Mag should be a straight blowback action. The mass of the bolt is the only locking mechanism . On blowback actions the bullet exists the bore before the breech opens so you should have zero velocity loss. On gun designs the used gas to open the action the claim is that you get some but it's very minimal at best.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks M-Tecs.. I appreciate it..I spoke to a woman today,and she says I am getting $305 credit for my 308,so I went ahead and chose a Rio Bravo 22 lever action in German birch wood for $347,and will make up the difference .I could have got a similar pump for the same price,but the trigger guard didn't look right to me,and I was afraid it was plastic. She said that it may take some time for them to ship it because it is a pretty new model..I will post my opinion of it when I get it.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Please do. I'm wondering if the Rio Bravo is actually made in Germany. After all, why make the rifle in Brazil but import the wood from Germany? Also, I think the ancestors of today's Henry rimfires were made in Germany by Erma.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Please do. I'm wondering if the Rio Bravo is actually made in Germany. After all, why make the rifle in Brazil but import the wood from Germany? Also, I think the ancestors of today's Henry rimfires were made in Germany by Erma.
    The pump also comes in the German Beech wood,but I like the looks of the lever action more
    https://rossiusa.com/firearms/pump-a...-ribbed-forend
    https://rossiusa.com/firearms/lever-...rman-beechwood I realize I said birch wood in the earlier post,but it is beech.

It says Beech wood not birch. Totally different woods. Beech is better for gunstocks and stains better. Harder wood.

DEP
    Last edited by northmn; 05-21-2020 at 04:22 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    It says Beech wood not birch. Totally different woods. Beech is better for gunstocks and stains better. Harder wood.

DEP
    Yea,I noticed I goofed on the wood,but it was an honest mistake. I figured that a Beech tree would have been some sort of Palm tree like you might find on a sandy beech in sunny Florida.LOL

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The 22 Mag should be a straight blowback action. The mass of the bolt is the only locking mechanism . On blowback actions the bullet exists the bore before the breech opens so you should have zero velocity loss. On gun designs the used gas to open the action the claim is that you get some but it's very minimal at best.
    The answer...….

Any chronographed difference in velocity between different rifles given the same barrel length will simply be within the expected normal test to test variation. If one could lock the bolt on a semi-auto and test it semi and bolt locked the difference would still be within the same normal test to test variation.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla