Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: got another glock 22

Banned

yup no rubber band guns but my handguns go from 22lr to 500 Linebaugh. Took a look in the safe and have 7 40s and 11 9mms (two are ar15s) My most shot handguns are 9s. heck my most shot rifle is my 9mm ar15. Not because I think they have some mystical power they get from the gods but because of exactly the reason 35rem gave. There cheap to shoot. Got to love them for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I haven't really shot anything I didn't like.
    I even like guns that shoot rubber bands.

Boolit Master
    My experience is just the opposite as I have shot the 1911 in 45acp since the middle 70s to the point I don't need sights for decent hits to 15 yds or more. The xds in 45 points in the same for me.
    I have shot the Glock 21 and 22 enough to make good hits rapidly but it takes more concentration because they both shoot high left for me when pointed in without using sights. Glocks are very good guns and are as reliable as anything but they just don't fit me right.
    Maybe I have formed bad habits from shooting a 1911 for as long as I have. Another handgun that is a natural pointer for me is a 4" M28 S&W. With either of these or the XDs I can look at a target close my eyes and point the gun where I think the target is, open my eyes and be very close. The Glocks won't do this for me and this is the only reason I don't own one. I actually like the Glock21 but the non fit makes it a bad choice for me for a defense handgun. I think one should use what he can shoot and operate the best.

Banned

when I first started shooting glocks I had the same trouble as you. Now its just the opposite. Im so used to shooting them that a 1911 doesn't point for me. Its all in what you practice with. Or what you learned with. Ive had cops that shot glocks all there lives ask me how I can even shoot a 1911 accurately and that think there more of an accurate competition gun then a serious service gun to count on to protect your life. Glocks are kind of like that. Either you hate them or love them and 99 percent of the time if I find someone who says they don't point right its someone that hasn't shot more then 500 rounds out of one and gave it a chance. An indy car racer cant jump in a nascar car and win a race. Give someone who shoots trap competitively a Mossberg 500 they've never shot before and see how there scores tank. Bit of advice to anyone whos like me and has many different handguns they shoot is to quit practicing the instinctive pointing and practice ALLWAYS putting the front sight on the target and then shooting. At combat range if you put that slight blade on the target your going to hit it with any gun. Practice so much that you ALLWAYS "instinctively" put the blade on the target. A guy who knew guns more then me taught me to do that. He said 99 percent of the people that think they can instinctively shoot miss under the stress of real combat. Many of the old gun slingers believed in that. They were more conserned with actually taking the time to INSURE they were going to hit there target then the speed at which they got off the first shot.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 06-02-2020 at 06:10 AM.

Boolit Master
    I find all the reports of people shooting cast boolits in Glock barrels with good results encouraging. Got a bid in on a G34 MOS. Had a 34 when they first came out and used it as my IDPA "race gun". Because it was lighter than a 1911 my draw times were faster. And it had great accuracy too. Should go nicely with my AR carbine that takes Glock mags. The 34 will be my plinking and vehicle carry piece.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    when I first started shooting glocks I had the same trouble as you. Now its just the opposite. Im so used to shooting them that a 1911 doesn't point for me. Its all in what you practice with. Or what you learned with.
    Hopefully I'll find out soon enough when my first 1911 is able to be picked up from my FFL... Ordered it three weeks ago and it arrived within a week, but my FFL is also a deputy and has been distracted. First, he forgot to submit my background check, which delayed things a week, then the check came back clear, but he changed shifts to one opposite of mine, so I have to wait until Wednesday to finally go pick it up. On my lunch hour. Won't be able to shoot it for another few days.

I've never gotten the argument about certain pistols not being natural pointers or accurate for some folks. I've been blessed with the ability to pick up pretty much any pistol and shoot it to it's full potential.

I've had friends own handguns that they declare as inaccurate and ask me to shoot them to verify. Most have been plenty accurate. The latest that even I wasn't able to get to shoot accurately was a Ruger SP101 in .357 Magnum. My buddy couldn't hardly hit a paper plate at 10 yards. I got it to group maybe 4". Advised him to get rid of it.

Pretty sure I'll be fine with a 1911.

In fact, I was with my girlfriend at a beginners handgun course last summer to monitor her progress, and the instructor was a notable ISPC competitor who brought along his hot rodded STI 1911. He invited me to shoot plates with him after the course was over. I had my Glock G19 Gen 5 in my holster.

I shot just as fast as he did with the Glock. Then he handed me the 1911. Shot the first string just as fast. He was impressed and said I really should join and get into competition. Sorry, not enough time or money to get into it.

But admittedly, I am a bit of a unicorn.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned

your a shooter so im sure youll do fine with it. Most of this kind of bs comes from people who don't shoot. Lots of people with NO experience buy glocks. why? Because there reliable and cheap and very few bad words are said about them. Then when they cant hit something with them they blame the gun. Same with people that buy stupid first guns like a snubby 357 and put full power loads in it and blame the gun when they cant hit anything with there face twisted and there eyes shut! No doubt about it, the 1911 platform is going to be more accurate then a glock. At least 80 percent of the 1911s ive shot. But truth be told if I had to get into a gun fight id much rather have a 22,23,19 or 17 glock on my hip then a 1911. If your talking a deep cover gun id take a 43 ANYDAY over an officers sized 1911. This comes from a guy that carried an officers sized 1911 (Kimber cdp) for over 10 years. Theres good and bad 1911s and usually it comes down to how much $ your willing to plunk down but to get a really good one your going to spend twice what this new 22 cost me and even then I wouldn't bet my house that it will run as well as that glock. Matter of fact I wouldn't bet 10 bucks on it. Spend 375 on a new 1911 and I can about guarantee you headaches. It will either run well and shoot like crap or shoot well and run like crap or do both like crap.

Lloyd: you done good at $375 for a new G22. The street price right now for a used one out here is $625-700 and that with one mag. My LGS has restocked 3 times in the last 2 weeks and is selling guns like hamburgers. They can't keep any handgun in stock. When he is selling 8-10 guns a day from a Surplus Store you know something is happening outside.

As far as that Front Sight thing? I think I know where you got that? Could it have been at "Front Sight?" That's where i heard about it.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned

I actually got it from a shooter I competed with that I respected very much. Someone whos been there and done that and doesn't just own the t shirt. Now he may have got it there I don't know. But I do know a lot of very experienced people who have actually used handguns in combat and police work agree with that training method. Even old wild bill hickock preached that taking the time to insure a hit always trumped speed in a gun fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Lloyd: you done good at $375 for a new G22. The street price right now for a used one out here is $625-700 and that with one mag. My LGS has restocked 3 times in the last 2 weeks and is selling guns like hamburgers. They can't keep any handgun in stock. When he is selling 8-10 guns a day from a Surplus Store you know something is happening outside.

As far as that Front Sight thing? I think I know where you got that? Could it have been at "Front Sight?" That's where i heard about it.

Randy

Boolit Master
    Absolutely agree front sight focus is the key to putting rounds on Target accurately.

I can shoot just about any handgun and frequently do practice with 3-4 different ones per range session.

A gun shop owner handed me a gun once asked if I could run some ammo through it. It was compact 1911 45 ACP. The guy brought it back Said it shot 6ft low at 10 yards. Hey 50 rounds of ammo for free heck yes I will shoot it. I shot 50 round box at 10 yards cut about a 4” ragged hole 1” low from bulls eye and slightly to the left. But the web of my hand was raw from a sharp edge on the grip frame safety. So that gun was shooting low it was biting him, he would push the gun down that far and it was shooting 6’ low right where he was pointing it. By the way compact 1911 is finicky feeder the Glocks feed anything and in a small package they definitely are more reliable than the compact 1911 45....

Boolit Master
    Front sight and squeeze.

In an interview, Officer Jim Cirillo of the NYPD stakeout squad was asked what went through his mind during the many gunfights that he won. His answer was “Front sight, front sight, front sight.” It is the most important part of a gun if you wish to hit something.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234