RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: got another glock 22

Banned

got another glock 22

son in law has a cousin that's a prison guard. He told me a while back the prison is switching from 4os back to 9s. They are selling off all of there glock 22s. Said a good used one was 275 bucks. Figured I couldn't go wrong at that price and told him to get me one. Well I was to late. they all sold but he said they have a number of new ones still in the box for 375 with 2 mags and night sights. I told him to run not walk and get me one. He came over yesterday and said his cousin is picking it up today. I already have two of them but for that price its hard to pass and its allways been one of my favorite glocks. It just sits in my big hands better then my 23 or 19. That and one of my 22s went in that micro roni deal. If nothing else I could shoot it for a couple years and at that price get my money back.

Banned
    I don't think you can beat $375 for a new Glock 22 with night sights and a spare mag. You will likely get the box, cleaning rod, brush and manual with it.

The G22 is essentially a G17 chambered in 40 S&W, and a proven concept. While I'm not a huge fan of the 40 S&W I do have a G22. It's a solid workhorse with a high capacity mag. Like all Glocks, it is monotonously reliable. It will feed and fire just about anything that slightly resembles a 40 S&W cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    It will feed and fire just about anything that slightly resembles a 40 S&W cartridge.
    It will fire 9mm as well, just won’t eject them. I’m in no way saying to do this. Just that I’ve seen it happen due to multiple guns and magazines being out and people not paying attention when loading the magazine and gun.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    It will fire 9mm as well, just won’t eject them. I’m in no way saying to do this. Just that I’ve seen it happen due to multiple guns and magazines being out and people not paying attention when loading the magazine and gun.
    Yeah, I saw the same thing happen with another type of pistol.
    An acquaintance showed up with a brand new, never been fired Beretta. He fired 2-3 rounds and the pistol failed to cycle after each shot. He was a bit disappointed in his brand new pistol. I looked at the pistol and it was a Beretta 96 (chambered in 40 S&W) and it was loaded with 9mm cartridges. I told him the gun was chambered for 40 S&W and he responded, "but it's a Beretta", as if that meant it had to be a 9mm pistol.

That guy is a well educated and highly intelligent person but he's not a "gun guy". He went to a gun store and purchased a Beretta thinking that it had to be a Beretta 92. They sold him a Beretta !

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve never understood why people love on the 10mm and loathe the 40 S&W. Both can be loaded up and down. The 20SF is a perfect fit to my hand.

Banned
    I wonder if it's because when the 40 SW came out law enforcement bogarted most of the guns and almost all the ammo until they came up with better 9MM ammo then dumped the 40 SW like last year's trash.

10MM doesn't have that history. --- my 2¢

Boolit Master
    No the FBI 10mm load was abandoned about 5he same time for 9x19.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Banned
    The history of the 40 S&W is deeply intertwined with the 1986 FBI Miami shootout.
    In the aftermath of that horrible event, the FBI blamed the ammunition for the failures that occurred in that event. The FBI went in search of a suitable cartridge. That suitable cartridge wasn't going to be an existing cartridge because that would beg the question - if there was something better; why weren't they already using it ?
    They came up with a downloaded 10mm cartridge and that gave birth to the 40 S&W.
    And despite what some people now claim, effective 9mm ammunition did exist in the late 1980's; the FBI just wasn't going to acknowledge that it exited.

Even with the new 9mm ammo, I still prefer the 40. As a reloader, the forty has more flexibility, and gives a lot less trouble when reloading.

Nice deal on the G22!

Boolit Master

My Glock 22 is always in my truck or on my hip. At least for the last 10 years or so. It gets used and abused on open tractors. Bumps and bruises and gets dirtier than I should let it get and it doesn't miss a beat. I don't shoot it as well as my 1911's but Glocks are about as indestructible and reliable as a hand gun can be. An old LEO Buddy says. "Show your friends your Kimber. Show your enemy your Glock"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    .................. Glocks are about as indestructible and reliable as a hand gun can be...............
    /\ True /\

Banned

me either. Ive allways like the 40 (10s too) . I chuckle at guys that claim the recoil is violent. Have they actually shot 357 mags or for that matter any handgun bigger then a 38s special. If you cant handle a full sized 40 then you better put some more time aside for range work. Heck my wife shoots 44 mags. I love the fact that everyone is switching and nobody wants 40s. Ill take them cheap like this. Still have 3 of the 38 smith police trade ins that they about gave away.
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I’ve never understood why people love on the 10mm and loathe the 40 S&W. Both can be loaded up and down. The 20SF is a perfect fit to my hand.

Banned

I agree. I now have 3 of them and if I found a used one cheap enough in the gunshop id have 4. If shtf I could think of no better gun to have on my hip. I chuckle at the guys that claim the 9 will do anything the 40 will. In a pigs ear. That's about like saying a 357 mag will do anything a 41 mag will do. In my experience guys who claim things like that are guys who are scared of a bit of muzzle rise
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    My Glock 22 is always in my truck or on my hip. At least for the last 10 years or so. It gets used and abused on open tractors. Bumps and bruises and gets dirtier than I should let it get and it doesn't miss a beat. I don't shoot it as well as my 1911's but Glocks are about as indestructible and reliable as a hand gun can be. An old LEO Buddy says. "Show your friends your Kimber. Show your enemy your Glock"

Boolit Master

I bought a Glock 22 back in the late 90's and it was fine, but wasn't happy with the accuracy, so traded it in on a Glock 24C. Was very happy with the accuracy with that, but it was just too big. Traded that in on a Glock 31, the .357 Sig version of the G22. Was happy with the accuracy, size, and recoil was fine. I even went to the trouble of customizing it a bit. Got rid of it due to cost of ammo and went to a Walther P99 in .40 S&W. Loved it! had it for a few years until I got into a car accident and financial trouble. Had to sell it. By the time I got back on my feet, Walther had changed the design and I hated the new ones. Went to M&Ps then and have been happy.

Waiting for the Gen 5 .40 S&W Glocks before I buy any more.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I agree. I now have 3 of them and if I found a used one cheap enough in the gunshop id have 4. If shtf I could think of no better gun to have on my hip. I chuckle at the guys that claim the 9 will do anything the 40 will. In a pigs ear. That's about like saying a 357 mag will do anything a 41 mag will do. In my experience guys who claim things like that are guys who are scared of a bit of muzzle rise
    Totally agree, when things go south my G22 will be with me.

Boolit Master

My first 40 caliber Glock was the 35 , have a 22 also I like them , magazines are the same and magazines are plentiful along with once fired brass .

Boolit Master

I've had my old Glock 22 since the mid '90s. It's always shot great. I just don't understand all the hate for the .40 S&W in recent times. Some people get really worked up about it.

I also don't get the people who repeat the myth that an "improvement in ammo design has made the 9mm just as powerful and effective as the 40 S&W". They repeat it as Gospel truth, but apparently don't understand physics. I say it all the time: a 9mm is "good enough" for most things, but simple physics dictates that it will never be the same as a .40 S&W.

I had a Glock 20 for a short time. I really wanted to like it, I really did. It was just too big for my hands. Maybe if I'd have shot a few hundred more rounds through it, perhaps I'd have gotten used to it. It just wasn't comfortable for me.

Banned
    Nobody wins caliber wars but I'll bite

I don't hate the 40 S&W but I never warmed up to it. It terms of diameter, the 40 S&W falls exactly between the 9mm and the 45 ACP. I never felt like the gap between 9mm and 45 ACP was a big enough gap that we needed to put something in the middle, but we did just that. I'm not saying it was a bad idea to fill that gap, just saying I'm not sure we needed to fill that gap.

I also would not say that the 9mm is "....just as powerful and effective as the 40 S&W" but I will say it is just as effective.

I find it interesting that a 9mm bullet of .355" diameter, weighing around 115-125 grain and easily travelling over 1200 fps is often considered by some to be inadequate and yet that's far more energy than most 38 Special cartridges deliver. The 38 Special was, and still is, considered to be an adequate self defense cartridge.

When you get right down to the truth, all handguns are rather poor tools to stop a human attacker. Some handgun rounds are better than others but NONE of them are great at stopping human attackers. A handgun is better than harsh language but not as good as a long gun.

When one looks at actual results from shootings, a 115-125 grain +P 9mm hollow point has a pretty good track record, as handgun cartridges go. The 40 S&W is no slouch but nor are other common self defense cartridges. None of the common handgun cartridges significantly stand out above the pack. A 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 9mm Luger, 40 S&W and 45 ACP are ALL capable of penetrating deep enough to stop a fight.

A lot of people are fond of pointing out that a 40 S&W cartridge delivers a bullet that is heavier than a 9mm projectile and faster than a 45 ACP projectile
    BUT.....
    I like to point out that the 40 S&W projectile is lighter than a 45 ACP bullet and slower than a 9mm projectile.

Like I said, nobody wins caliber wars.

Boolit Master
    The velocity with a .40 will be close to 9mm with bullets that have a similar sectional density.
    135 in 40 and 115 in 9 , 155 in 40 and 125 in 9 , 180 in 40 and 147 in 9.
    There is a reason the .40 has more recoil . It is more powerful .

I’m looking hard at the S&W M&P .40 trade ins. I like a thumb safety on my Glockcopy.........

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast