WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Gas checks and powder coating

Boolit Mold

Gas checks and powder coating

I’m new to casting. Figuring out as I go
    And doing a ton of research before buying too
    Much equipment. I’d like to start casting for 30-30 and I’d like to be able to push them to decent velocities. I’ve read a bunch saying if you powder coat first, GC doesn’t fit right. But to crimp the gas check first, you have to allox and size, then multiple acetone baths to remove the allox so the PC bonds. I’m wondering, if I plan to size to .309, can I grab a .311 sizing die with the thought being, start the crimp on the GC without any lube, powder coat then finish the GC crimp while sizing the coated bullet to .309???

Also, I’m looking for molds for 45-70 and maybe even a mold to try casting for my 458 Lott. I’m finding most molds say they are .457 and I’m not finding any that are .459. Why would I want to cast a .457 if jacketed are .458???

Boolit Mold
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	466E7B2B-99CB-458F-8A26-2BCE58B357AB.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	262498

Boolit Buddy
    i have gone both way with rifle and pistol bullets. when i started powder coating i found out it is better than lubing bullets for what i do. i cleaned out all the lube in my sizing dies and my luber sizer. i have powder coat first then seat the gas check. work well. then next run i seat the gas check then powder coat the bullets. both ways worked, but i like putting the gas check on first then powder coat the bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Putting on GC after PC is a pain but doable and for me personally better than running them twice. I’ve found using a small nylon/rubber faced craft hammer works great to tap the check on and then run it through.

Boolit Mold
    Awesome thanks

Boolit Master

It is actually quite easy. I seat the check with the NOE sizer. Coat and size again. No need to fuss with alox and acetone. Of course if the check will fit post coating, that woukd be easiest.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master

I coat and then size while adding the gascheck. I usually tap the bullet on the steel plate I have my press mounted on to seat the check before I then go and run it through the die. If I'm shooting over 1800fps, I then coat and size again to ensure I don't run faster than my PC coating can handle.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    Has there been any real testing on just how much pressure and velocity PC or Hitek can really take.
    Also if your weary of gas checks post coating try a water based lube in what ever your seating the gas checks with.

I've read where HyTek can take quite a bit but I keep mine low, very low. Search the past, I'm sure there is a lot of pressure info on here.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master

This is what I did last batch that gave me issue.

https://youtu.be/1fvXQRve0X4

When I cost for PC I find that extra "sifting" of the coated bullet results in a far more even and thinner coating allowing GC seating to be near as non PC bullets. With actually BETTER GC retension.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned
    If you are using a quality powder, gas checks should not be necessary up to rifle velocities (2000-2400 fps) for most cast calibers.
    Over this, I would just go with a c-word-j-word projectile.
    R/Griff

Most 457 molds throw 459 or 460. At least all I have owned. Crimp on the check at the first sizing. 457-458 ? Powder coat and size again 457-458 . Your ready to go.