RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Mould for Criterion .303 barrel

Boolit Master

Mould for Criterion .303 barrel

Just had one of these installed on a P-14 action. Wondering if anyone else is shooting this barrel, and if so, what your favorite mould might be. I would use it mostly for military matches and paper punching.
    https://criterionbarrels.com/product...field-barrels/

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Looking at the dimensional info on Criterion's website, I'd go for the NOE version of #314299, which is a common choice in the .303, but you will have the advantage in not being limited by a loose barrel made to hurried wartime specs.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, Outpost.

Also brass should last longer with the tighter chamber- one would think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Also brass should last longer with the tighter chamber- one would think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    A P14 Enfield should be much easier on the brass than an SMLE or No.4 Lee Enfield for a variety of reasons. Hopefully the chamber reamer used has a much closer resemblance to the actual cartridge dimensions than those used by the British military over the decades.

If I had a good P14 action and a lot of money, I'd get a good aftermarket barrel maker to turn me out an excellent quality barrel, and have a benchrest gunsmith chamber it with a custom-made chamber reamer for the .303, made to minimum dimensions. I personally think that the .303 is an excellent cartridge, primarily limited by the rifles available for it - and military requirements for sloppy chambers.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

My local mould maker has a mould with two fifferent cavities, a 190gn that duplicates the shape of Mk7 boolits, and a 220gn that duplicates the earlier Mk6 profile. Both are sized to 0.314" and are very accurate in my P14.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    That's a lovely mold, Bad ***, with equally lovely results.

Boolit Master
    I forget who mentioned it but one of the top reamer manufacturers had the specs for a 303 match reamer. Either Pacific or Manson comes to mind. And yes I have also wondered what the 303 British cartridge would do in a P-14 action with a premium grande barrel and custom reamer/chamber and a heavy style match or target stock. I have a P-14 action as well as a model of 1917 action but no $$$. I have a crappy P-14 barreled action with a great looking issue barrel and a great looking action with a crappy barrel. Would love to have the great barrel put on the great looking action. But the smiths around here won't work on most of the older mil surps. Would like to hear if anyone has a good smith that would do the barrel swap. Frank

Boolit Master

I agree the CBE mold is a beauty, but the label on the box misspelled boolit. What were they thinking?
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    What are the interior dimensions for the 303 barrel?. Anyone slugged theirs and write down the numbers. Any good gunsmith who specializing in the installation of these barrels?. Thank You Frank

Boolit Master
    I doubt you would find a better 303 barrel than the Lithgow H barrel.....I installed a new one in a Martini a while ago,set back by a thread and rechambered by a Manson reamer ......the reamer was a major disappointment ,as it seemed to have the very long throat of the Mk6 bullet spec ,the so called long cone .Too late once the chamber is cut ,and I didnt want to set the barrel back any more.

Boolit Master

Any boolit that's 0.314" or larger for accuracy. The barrels measured 0.314". I have had lots of luck with moet of the common boolits. Lee 185gr 303br PCed to 0.314 has been a real performer low or high velocity.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master
    A M10 Ross with the factory chamber and an excellent bore is hard to beat with the proper dia. bullet. It is as good as a milsurp gets.

Boolit Master
    Leebuilder, I bought the Lee mold and my boolits are running about 194 grains with Liquid Alox and a gas check, sized .314. I am thinking of using CE Harris's "Universal Load" -- 16 grains of 2400 -- with this slug in the P-14.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Abert Rim View Post
    Leebuilder, I bought the Lee mold and my boolits are running about 194 grains with Liquid Alox and a gas check, sized .314. I am thinking of using CE Harris's "Universal Load" -- 16 grains of 2400 -- with this slug in the P-14.
    Giver, great load ! I think I have gone as high as 20 gr with good accuracy with gas checks and Alox.
    I'm away from my notes, 13gr of Unique with a heavy boolit is my 100m load in most P14 I have.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience