WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one here....?

Boolit Master

Am I the only one here....?

..... Whose wife is trying to convince them that he's old and decrepit? I am energetic and active at 58 years old, and I feel like my wife is trying to convince me that we need to spend more money to hire people to do jobs that I know full well I can do. To my surprise it's becoming a serious point of contention.

It's a old wife trick.

When I put a project off too long, the wife threatens to hire it done.

It's a great motivator.
    I have these visions of large amounts of money being sucked out of my 'Whiskey and gunpowder fund',
    and get right to it.

I've tried telling her to get the money out of the shoes, clothes, and war paint fund, but it hasn't worked.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I'm in my early 70's and still want to do much of what I used to do, but will have to admit I just can't perform some tasks any more. My wife's frequent comment is, "You have to remember you aren't 45 any more", and I guess she's right. GF

Boolit Master
    I am almost 81 and I still do my big yard with a self propelled mower not a rider. I am redoing a bath now new vanity top, sink, faucets floor and trim. Wife says if you feel like it do it. Dr. said do what you feel like sitting will kill you.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

I am going to be 78 this Sunday. When my wife and I have differences we sit down and work them out. As an example right now we are waiting for the VA to get back to fixing knees and in the mean time I pop some pills they give me and I mow the lawn and she does the trimming. We love and respect each other and we don't force the other to do the things we want to do. And our belief in Jesus help us with the love and respect.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Banned

64 and am stronger and in better shape then I was at 50. I lift every other day and walk every day. For me its my son in law. Hes always over trying to do everything for me like im a helpless old man. I let him do some of the crappy stuff to make him feel better about his self

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    64 and am stronger and in better shape then I was at 50. I lift every other day and walk every day. For me its my son in law. Hes always over trying to do everything for me like im a helpless old man. I let him do some of the crappy stuff to make him feel better about his self
    I'll give you my address and you can send your son-in-law here to do some work for me, because I am a helpless ol' man!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Similar discussions some times here.

My wife's motivation is that she thinks I should be doing to something I would enjoy doing more - fishing, kayaking, tinkering with other projects.

My motivation is that about half the time we pay someone to do work, they do poor work or some other issue. My quality of work may not be up to professional standards in every case, but we're not paying the professional premium and having the stress of dealing with crummy workers.

I also enjoy seeing the finished product and the problem solving that goes along with the jobs.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I agree that sometimes it's a way of convincing us to prioritize a job, rather then a criticism of inability. On the other hand, it could be she wants some of your time for "quality time" which is not a bad thing.
    With my wife, we are both DIYers and enjoy projects immensely, but we're becoming conscious of over-committing ourselves so that the only time we see each other is the supper table or passing by each other in and out of the garage.
    If your wife wants you to hire someone for a few jobs, and you can afford it, and the other option is time spent together on something more fun than doing those jobs together, maybe it's not all bad?
    I admit, it's hard getting used to. I'm married less than a year now, and having gotten married at 47, I'm barely housebroken. But we both work, and can afford to hire someone (now and again), so if it's a dirty job we have the luxury of watching someone else do it now. Takes getting used to. My fingernails keep catching my attention because they look odd. It's because they're clean...
    Bulldogger

Moderator Emeritus

^^this. She may be trying to tell you she's wants some quality time with you. You are not old enough for the decrepit status unless there are other issues. Talk to her. After my divorce I decided no more quessing what signals were being sent and that whomever I am with we will talk. Actually working out a lot better that way as my girlfriend and I uh ave been together almost 1 1/2 years now and it is great.

Boolit Master
    One of us is 69, the other is 72. We still enjoy taking care of the yard, vegetable garden, and flower beds. We also both participate in cowboy action shooting as well as just plinking on the backyard range. BUT, when it was time for new windows a few years ago, we hired it done, and when the appliances need to be replaced, we choose the deliver and install option, which includes hauling off the old appliances.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    ..... Whose wife is trying to convince them that he's old and decrepit? I am energetic and active at 58 years old, and I feel like my wife is trying to convince me that we need to spend more money to hire people to do jobs that I know full well I can do. To my surprise it's becoming a serious point of contention.
    If I didn't have MS my Wife and I might be having a discussion like this. My suggestion is to do some of what you feel capable of doing and to try to compromise with your Wife on the other stuff. If you are a healthy 58 just remember that even though you still feel good that your reflexes have slowed down and that you don't bounce as well as you once did.

It was hard, very hard, for me to face the fact that I could not do the things that I used to do. And to have the wisdom to know not to try. I'm 62 now, but at 55 I could stand on the top step of a 12 ft ladder and work on lights. Yes, the very top. Now days I try to stay plumb away from ladders! We pay a yard service to keep our yard, something that I used to enjoy doing. We pay to have our cars serviced, another thing that I always did.

Boolit Buddy

81 in August. Both knees replaced, a hip and a shoulder replaced. I have arthritis and myasthenia gravis. If you can still do the chores be grateful. Luckily I have grown children still willing and able to fill in where needed. Do what you can when you can and be glad you can.

Boolit Master

I see this on a social media site keeping up with high school classmates. We all just hit retirement age. Most of the men and a lot of the women are still vital and active but a few, mostly women are old far beyond their age. Maybe they want company that acts as old as they act/feel. My parents were still blowing and going at 80. They’re past 85 now and slowing down.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

I remember for years hearing the old saying "Use it or loose it"...…I decided years ago it was true. Sure glad I did.
    Be 70 not to far away Walked 6 miles Tuesday to get some anti-convulsion meds for a 11 year old.
    Ya know ya just have to decide what ya want in life and not live by the desires of the masses.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    I'm 62. I have done 99% of anything I have ever needed done in the past. I still do, but it takes longer for me to recover between each job. The reason I started doing most of my own projects is I couldn't afford to pay someone else to do them. My skill level has improved over the years to where the work looked good and was done right.

Lately I have decided I don't want to do a lot of the jobs I used to think nothing of. I also am in a financial position to where I can pay someone else to do what I no longer want to do myself. I will likely never shingle another roof. I doubt I will ever tile another shower, and a tile floor may be a project I'd hire out. Cement work is no longer something I'd even think of doing myself. I need a 5' x 100' retaining wall built in my wife's mothers back yard. There was a time a wheelbarrow and shovel would have moved all the dirt to fill in the yard, but I'll pay someone to build the wall and haul the dirt.

If you are capable of doing the work and WANT to, go for it. If not hire it done.

Banned

yup ive got a hip replacement an ankle replacement and 5 back surgerys in the past and I don't let them slow me down.
    Quote Originally Posted by bishopgrandpa View Post
    81 in August. Both knees replaced, a hip and a shoulder replaced. I have arthritis and myasthenia gravis. If you can still do the chores be grateful. Luckily I have grown children still willing and able to fill in where needed. Do what you can when you can and be glad you can.

Banned

I went to reunion in 14. It was my 40th. What made me chuckle was all the good looking athletes and hot cheerleaders looked like they swallowed watermelons. Couple of the girls were skinny but they looked like crack queens. My wife even said that it looked like everyone in the place was 10 years older then me. That was with my hat one though not much hair up top! Another sad thing was the person up front asked for all the veterans to stand and I was the only one in the room that stood up.
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    I see this on a social media site keeping up with high school classmates. We all just hit retirement age. Most of the men and a lot of the women are still vital and active but a few, mostly women are old far beyond their age. Maybe they want company that acts as old as they act/feel. My parents were still blowing and going at 80. They’re past 85 now and slowing down.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I remember when people ahead of me started holding the door open for me at business to be courteous to an old man . I didn't like it . LOL But I always thanked them...............still don't like it .
    No turning back , No turning back !

At 77 I can still do most things I use to do. It just hurts more the next day.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast