RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do you sort your revolver brass by head stamp??

About the only thing I look out for is junk brands like amerc or those stupid small pistol primer .45acps

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I always wanted to buy a Ransom Rest just for things like this, but I never did. At one time I might have shot a pistol good enough to tell the difference. And I might not have been good enough? But I am for sure not good enough now to tell any difference.
    I bought the inserts to use my Ruger 44 Mag on the Ransom Rest our gun club had. I contacted Ransom and got instructions. The results were less than impressive, I out shot it offhand. I could find nothing wrong with the Rest, double checked the instructions. Maybe 44 is too big for it? Maybe I missed something but if they were all that great I think we would see more people using them.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    I have to. after a few times i was loading and going through the motions and all of a sudden seating a primer or something feels different than the last 50 rounds did and red flag goes off in my head i start looking, did something on my press change, did i slip, maybe the primer or pocket was deformed. Then i just find out i got a S&B case in my remington pile, and they just feel different to load. I just cant have that. To me lack of consistancy is a sign that i messed something up, and heads up about safety hazards. So i need the cases to all feel the same.
    +10!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I bought the inserts to use my Ruger 44 Mag on the Ransom Rest our gun club had. I contacted Ransom and got instructions. The results were less than impressive, I out shot it offhand. I could find nothing wrong with the Rest, double checked the instructions. Maybe 44 is too big for it? Maybe I missed something but if they were all that great I think we would see more people using them.
    Well, I guess that rules out my .480 Ruger then .....

Three44s

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Most of the time no , but when the load starts getting to the high end of the chart yes , I'll sort .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, particularly for chronograph.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies . A lot of good info here.

For M-TECS : What group size are you getting at 50 yds with revolvers??? I'd probably get minute of target. THANKS
    For THREE44s: I'll trim these so I don't have to fiddle with the crimp die.
    For Lloyd Smale: I agree that shooting is A LOT more fun than loading.
    Thanks
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master
    JAMESGR,

That’s the idea!

Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Master

I always sort my handgun brass. For caliber only. I do not shoot good enough to bother.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JAMESGR View Post

For M-TECS : What group size are you getting at 50 yds with revolvers??? I'd probably get minute of target. THANKS
    For 50 yards and beyond most of my serious revolver shooting is done with jacketed bullets with the exception of lead bullet 38/357 used for NRA Bullseye competition. If I can't get sub 4 inch all cylinder used groups it goes down the road. Consistent groups of 2" to 3" groups at 50 are very repeatable. With my 460 S&W and one of my Dan Wesson 15-2's that is very doable at a 100 yards. With 6 shot revolvers' it's common that one or two cylinders will not group with the rest.

That being said I have never grouped some of my fixed sight SASS revolvers. Once I have them shooting to POI testing is done since speed is mostly the name of the game and targets are very close and large.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

I sort all brass for handguns & rifles by headstamps and lot # if possible .I use a certain brand of brass for a particular load as I have several loads using the same .

Boolit Grand Master

I do sort rifle brass by headstamp and pistol when I have little else to do. I shoot rifles with scopes so I can see the difference. Pistol shooting is much less precise. My ophthalmologist tells me that there is no purpose of changing my glasses until he removes my cataracts. That was last year and I'm still waiting.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    For handguns it is a waste of time for the vast majority of guns, shooters, and applications. I used to do it until I started shooting a lot. If I still shot Bullseye, and had the skill I had 40 years ago, I would sort for the 50 yard stages and competitions....but not for practice ammunition. Back then, I only shot CIL wadcutter cases so no sorting was needed.

I do not hunt with a pistol. I use factory ammunition for SD, and the rest of my shooting is plinking/target shooting.

It is typical to follow the advice of gurus in the gun rags as gospel. IMHO, they are either anal, or do not shoot a lot if they sort pistol brass. There are some brands, like S&B, that give me trouble but they are culled when I buy brass. Once brass has been loaded once, I never worry about headstamps again unless I am developing a new load for the pistol carbines that are used up to 100 yards.
    Don Verna

I am a Plinker, If I can hit what I shoot at I am happy. I sort by Caliber not head stamp. The only thing I sort by Head Stamp is my Milsurp 30-06. A lot of it is from the early '50s.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234