Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you sort your revolver brass by head stamp??

Boolit Buddy

Do you sort your revolver brass by head stamp??

I just received a shipment of cleaned brass in .357 Magnum (looks like new) containing mixed head stamps. I'm in the process of sorting the brass by head stamp. I just don't know if it's necessary.
    Does anyone else do this or do you treat all .357 magnum brass the same???

I have always tried to keep the same head stamp in a box of reloads. I don't think that it makes that much difference, but it is just that I am a little AR and like it that they are all the same.

Boolit Grand Master

Unless you have extreme accuracy requirements like long range competitive shooting sorting has little benefit.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I'll sort in batches of 100 to load for rifles, except 5.56.

Handguns I don't, but I also keep everything under max. too.
    If I really want to try for my best groups, I'll sort out a few by head stamp from a (same lot) bag of ammo at the range.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I sometimes do it like for load development.
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

I'm not OCD but I do separate all my brass by headstamp. When I reload, I pick a sack of whatever I have the most of and load them.

My off the wall headstamp brass is good swapping material.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

I tend to load a big batch all with the same load and then sort by headstamp as I put them into range boxes ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, for the replies. I normally shoot my 686 at 25 yds. and my Henry with a ghost ring sight at 50 yrds.
    These are some of the head stamps I should have put them in the original post. Anyone know about their quality??
    CBC; FREEDOM; GECO; SIG; A USA; PMC; AND GFL(A LOT OF THIS ONE)

I use to. Not for practice. Hunting and load development only.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I do for revolver brass, not auto. Once and done. Although even then, you can feel differences in brass hardness. Likely from different lots.

Boolit Master

I sort all my brass for headstamp. Rifle, revolver, pistol. All of it.

Does it help ? Well, it doesn't hurt.....

Boolit Master
    I’m of the sort and group camp for all calibers. It may make no difference but it keeps me from having surprises at the range

I do both. I sort brass but I also have a mixed bag of odd stuff for plinking ammo. I shoot for accuracy so I use sorted brass. If I'm doing defensive training or killing coke cans up close, that's where the mixed brass comes in. I trim my revolver brass for consistent crimps.

GFL is Fiocchi and is good stuff. I'll load anything if I have a decent batch of it but I don't really care for S&B or PMC much. The way they feel. My favorite is winchester.

Boolit Master
    I used to but it's been years since I've seen 44 brass discarded at the range. Best deal on new brass seems to be Starline 1,000 boxes. I checked and every last one of them has the same headstamp so I guess I do sort after a fashion.

Well there was that one guy that left 44 brass that he shot in a 45 long colt ......
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 05-19-2020 at 09:18 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I started sorting a few yrs back after the public range was a gold mine of once fired brass. Only problem was, the lengths were different by a few thousandth's. It really showed up on the crimping for revolvers. I was a notorious brass hound. It allowed me to shoot a bunch for cheap but I finally gave up and over the years I steadily replaced it with new Starline and now the length problem is a not-so-fond memory.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus

When I shot revolver matches, pretty much all shooters reserved their "best" brass for competition. The theory (??) of the day was that revolver brass all was pretty much too short to be annealed by reloader, and the "tightness" of the brass, which has an affect upon the bullet's release had most consistency with relatively new brass, all of same manufacturer and if possible, lot, as well as number of times it had been shot. We used to colour our primers with magic markers, also: unmarked was virgin brass; then yellow; then blue; then red; and finally, black. After five firings -- the remaining non-split brass was reserved for practice...
    To be 101% honest, I do not know if it made a bit of difference -- but... that's what we did (early 1970s)...
    and... why.
    geo

For my revolvers when I buy new brass I keep them together in 50 round boxes. That way each 5o gets reloaded the same amount.
    On assorted head stamp pick up brass I sort by head stamp and swap out head stamps I'm not familiar with or don't like for stuff I do.
    On rifle brass I do the same but try not to buy assorted brass. If used I try to buy all one head stamp. I then sort the 1000 by weight. Lots of +or- .5 grs. This may improve accuracy and ii only cost me a bit of time. It only has to be done once.
    Being retired it gives something to do when it's to dark to do other things. I don't have TV, to cheap to get cable and since it went digital I don't get any off the air.
    Leo

Only when super match accuracy is wanted for either rifle or handgun. It makes more difference in rifle than handgun but the difference is still there.
    The testing I have done for handgun, was with 38 special(many guns but mostly S&W 14) and 9mm(S&W 929) for revolver. I also tested in 45ACP. In every case the difference was there. Unfortunately, I am not a good enough shooter to make use of it without a rest.

Yes.
    With my hunting revolver, I need it to be precise. I can see why many mix brass for their self defense handguns; but I keep my brass separate no matter what firearm it is for.

Having said that, I do have loads that are the same powder and charge weight; but use different cases, bullets, and/or primers... and they aren't always as precise, or hit in the same spot as the original load.

Boolit Master
    Some I do and some I don't , 32 s&w , 38 and 357 are mixed 32 h&r and 44 special are all star line 327 is almost all federal 45 colt I sort.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast