Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you sort your revolver brass by head stamp??

Boolit Bub
    For my revolvers, generally yes. For the semi autos, no.

When I sort my revolver brass, I generally just group by manufacturer and if nickel or brass. For instance, W-W and Winchester Brass are kept together. Sometimes all the oddballs will end up in one batch.

As mentioned above, buy it new from Starline and keep it together, is the easiest path.

Boolit Master
    I sort all brass except for my semi-auto pistols. Primarily for a slight accuracy benefit, but mostly so I can keep track of how many reloads each set has seen. I don't sort 9mm. All I do with 9mm is check to make sure it is normal brass (no odd steps on the inside or things like that). I find so much good 9mm laying on the ground that I just decap and toss it in a tube feeder and pull it out of the bottom to reload. The thing holds about 3000 cases, so I'm not too concerned about how many times they get reloaded.
    Hick: Iron sights!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I do .
    I had a couple of carbines that for whatever reason would not feed 45 Colts RP brass or nickle cases . Schofield cases would feed so rim dia and thickness weren't the problem .

There was another that would run 38s like water but would only feed smoothly nickle fmj 357 from Armscorp I think , 38 cases loaded to 357 OAL were 50/50 without a clear line of what did and didn't work .

I've run mixed lots of 9mm , not anymore . I had a load that was good in FC , Win a little light in RP and had belly buttons , flow around the firing pin and flattening in S&B cases , problem solved don't shoot S&B .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

I don't sort any handgun brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Do you sort your revolver brass by head stamp??

Yes and no. I say yes because they are all one head stamp. I say no because I switched all pistol brass over to Starline. So I don’t technically sort by head stamp. I kept all the other brass I had and put it up for a rainy day.

Boolit Grand Master

I sort all brass, rifle, pistol and revolver by headstamp. Mostly because I want to separate out the small primers from the large primers and to separate out the crimped brass. Its only another move to put like headstamps together.

I shoot all the same headstamp when hunting, competing or for my defense loads. I'll shoot mixed brass for informal target practice or for plinking. Truthfully, I don't shoot a handgun well enough to tell the difference.

Boolit Bub
    I do, especially when using moon clips.

Boolit Master
    Like some others I separate all brass for all calibers.

Boolit Grand Master

I inspect all my brass prior to reloading and I glance at the headstamp picking out some less desirable mfgs. (Amerc). It's no big deal to toss a case into a separate pile for each headstamp and sometimes I do. For my heavy 44 Magnum T-Rex Killer loads I stick to one headstamp and for load work ups, mainly for my semi-autos, I'll sort but when I find "the load" I normally relax my standards and use mixed brass. I don't think I've sorted any 357 Magnum brass by headstamp in many years, just check for splits...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus

I sort all brass. It's something I actually enjoy and I usually find other culls while doing so.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I sort. Gives me another great use for empty coffee cans (my coffee team is red) and garage sale bread loaf pans. I then bag and store. I just figure it takes so little effort and helps fill the time when the dear wife gets to the remote before I do so I'm only half watching the TV.

I trim brass, even straight walled revolver brass. Only once for the revolver brass as a rule but since they get a roll crimp it helps to have more consistent crimps if they are the same length, which in theory leads to more consistent burn and pressure and accuracy. On the flip side I don't think it makes me any more accurate or any less accurate for that matter.

But my roll crimps look marvelous darling simply marvelous.

Rifle brass I sort, why not and milsurp needs primer pocket work and is sometimes noted for thicker walls too like 5.56 vs .223 brass.

I do it that way and it is waaay better that way, so there! No really I do it, have what I think are decent reasons for the decision but I'm not sure it is needed. Just lets me enjoy the Zen time of case preparation a little more.... before the Zen of casting time, or Zen of shooting time.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I keep all brass separate. On revolver brass I want it all the same length and use one make for my target and hunting ammo. I’m little less picky on ammo for fixed sight guns. Rifles I’m even more picky. I weigh and trickle each load into brass of same lot. Lucky for me I’m not into ARs or such. I deal in quality not quantity.

I deprime them, clean them, load them, then shoot them. If you can see a difference on target by sorting your pistol brass you're a better shot than me.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I pay no attention to head stamps! Especially for revolvers, 9mm, and 40 S&W semi's.

Do it if you want. I see no need to waste time for general plinking & shooting.

I DO inspect all brass B4 reloading. VERY IMPORTANT! Have found a few cracked and junk ones in there over time and they go right in the trash.

Stay safe!

banger

Boolit Master
    what bangerjim said .

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with Tazman (post #18). All testing I have done it does make a difference in GOOD guns. In sloppy handguns and short range (15 yds or so) not so much. The average offhand shooter will not see the difference. Put a good gun like the smith 14 on bags and you could see some brass give you under an inch at 25 yds and other brass won't hold 3. The biggest difference I have seen is a POI change.
    Tony

Moderator Emeritus

If you don't sort you will eventually find some Amerc or other junk stuff that can last one or two firings at most. Unless you are a scrap yard junkie or live to pick up brass at the range you will get some. I would not want a gun tied up when I needed one.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies!!!!
    I've always sorted my brass and obviously I'm not alone. People from British Colombia to South Wales UK and all across "The Fruited Plains" sort their brass.
    If I had known about Star Line when I started a few years back that's what I would have. But, I didn't and I don't.
    Thanks again, this brightens my day knowing there are so many sorting brass.
    James
    JAMESGR

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have purchased several thousands of brass from Starline. Good company. Good products reasonably priced. The just keep adding new cal's every month!!!!! And they now have many of those "weird" (to me) cals of bottle-necks.

I have reloaded hundreds of their 45LC brass at least 5 times each with no problems so far.

banger

I have 100 starline 44 mag cases I bought, and 100 federals that I fired from factory. Unlike 38 special I occasionally get from a friend, I have no other source for the 44. No 44 specials other than a handful I was sent from a member here. I have several brands in batches of 200 or 300 in 38 special, as well as smaller amounts of odd stuff, but always looking for more to add to my batches.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast