MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Loads for Charter Arms professional 32 H&R mag.

Boolit Master

Loads for Charter Arms professional 32 H&R mag.

I just got a new 3" barrel Charter Arms professional. I was astonished at how much the ammo costs. I have been reloading 32 SWL for years. Those dies etc are supposed to work on the 32 H&R as well. Now in my previous perusal of 32 loading data in manuals I have found serious mistakes in data for 32 ACP and 32 S&W Long. I need some info on 32 H&R mag with 90-115 grain cast boots. If you have a favorite load or or a load that has served you well, could you share it with me?
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

I use 4.0gns of unique with a 100-119gn bullet in a single six 32h&r. The single six is a strong gun, and this isn’t an especially hot load. Since I am not familiar with your gun, I would reccomend to start lower and work up.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master

I've been a fan of the 32 H&R for many years. I've also done a lot of pressure testing of various loads. The Federal factory 95 gr LSWC I pressure tested ran at 18,200 psi. You can duplicate that load with a 90 gr Lee TL314-90-SWC or the 98 gr RCBS SWC over 3.5 gr Bullseye. Suggest you try 3.2 gr Bullseye under either bullet as that has proven to be an excellent load in several S&W and Ruger 32 H&Rs.

With a 115 gr cast SWC (311008) 3 gr of Bullseye will put you right at 19,000 psi.

FYI; SAAMI has not published a MAP for the 32 H&R but it is generally accepted that 19,000 -20,000 psi is the MAP for H&R revolvers. Ruger and S&W revolvers are loaded ato a bit higher psi's but I do not recommend that for H&R revolvers.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    The 32-98 RCBS SWC Has worked very well for me with 3.7 grains of WW-231, and I second Larry’s suggestion of 3.2 grains of Bullseye with that same Boolit, it has worked well for me in my SP101.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I don't know how strong your Charter Arms 32 is but I would not work it beyond its limits.
    I have 5 different 32 magnums and my S&W 631 gets special treatment and it responds well with 3.2 grs. of Unique and 100 gr. MP's 314640 boolit.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

100 gr lead, 3.5 gr HP-38 or Green Dot.

Moderator Emeritus

I would rate the Charter Professional as somewhere between the Rugers and the H&R's.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I would rate the Charter Professional as somewhere between the Rugers and the H&R's.
    Agree with MT Gianni, the Charter Arms Professional has a stainless steel frame with steel 7 shot cylinder. It doesn't have the aluminum alloy frame the H&R had. The "Professional" is a much better made revolver.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    All the H&R built 32 Mag revolvers I have seen were all steel, never knew they even made an aluminum framed gun.

Boolit Mold
    ..the charter pro in 32hr is an interesting gun.

immediately folks ask "why not 327mag?"

the first thing is that iot put 7 rounds in that little frame window - the cyclinder is maxed out with 7 holes - a "one up" on the j frames and sp101s..

and then, most folks don't quite understand the little 32hr - and what it CAN do, which when compared to the short barrel loads in the speer manual, puts it AHEAD of the 38 (and +p), nipping at the heels of its "big brother.."

skeeter skelton mentioned loads for cast back in "85 (shooting times, oct 85) that were pretty stout and the buffalo bore stuff clocks in at 1133 fps for a 130gr from a 3" barrel - not bad...

look at: https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...-magnum/358503 ; https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...to-know/385331 ;

lbt slug: https://www.montanabulletworks.com/p...t-110gr-fn-gc/
    Last edited by rkcohen; 02-26-2021 at 11:31 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

CA CEO says they will never make another 327 Fed. They had too many problems with the high pressures of the cartridge and the smaller guns they are known for.
    I like my Professional and found it does very well with AA2 and a .315" bullet from 95 to 118 gr. Mine has .314" throats so I cast with a .314 " mold and pc to build them up.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Years ago I bought 1,000 cast bullets from Meister for a song, their 94 grain RNFP. I load that with 3.5 grains W231 and it shoots great.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I use 4.0gns of unique with a 100-119gn bullet in a single six 32h&r. The single six is a strong gun, and this isn’t an especially hot load. Since I am not familiar with your gun, I would recommend to start lower and work up.
    Ditto...Kind of... but 4.2 Unique with a cast 100gn SWC. In Ruger Single Six, Blackhawk.
    I would however, do whatever Larry says first and foremost..