WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Trail guns

Boolit Bub

Trail guns

I carry a 45 Colt most of the time but there’s not much in NE Florida that needs anything else. If I know there are snakes around I have found the best medicine is a trusty 12 ga!
    Shotgun

Boolit Master
    I spent 25+ years in central Florida my long time companion was a pretty neat little gun don’t remember who made it( I wound up trading it for a pony) it was called a snake charmer! It was a just legal length, single shot 410! It wasn’t very heavy and very easily fit in a scabbard on my saddle. Never really ran into anything that I needed anything any bigger than that. Maybe an occasional hog. I did see a panther wants, bothered my horse more than bothered me, kinda neat ta see. That snake charmer was put to use on several occasions!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

The snake charmer was a neat little 410 shotgun I had one for a few years never really shot it all that much just kept it behind the seat in the truck
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Bub
    Out west I usually carry anything from a 357mag on up, depending on what I am doing and what I feel like carrying that day. I am not too concerned about snakes but always keep an eye out for the random coyote, etc that shows up. If hunting in certain areas where the grizzly bear is making a comeback, it's a 44 mag or 10mm auto.

When out in the mountains of Washington Idaho or Montana I carry a 44 mag ruger Super Blackhawk, or my redhawk in 44 mag. Every once in a while I may carry just the 22 if I'm by myself, but I usually have a rifle of some sort along doing that. Used to carry a glock 23 but the 44 is so much more comforting...
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

The subject of trail guns comes up a lot and gets a lot of response. Different strokes for different folks-- it depends a lot on where you wander and what you expect to encounter that might be hostile. On the last go around I convinced myself that a 10mm 1911-type semi-auto might be the best choice for potentially dangerous encounters with bears, but for some reason I can't shake off the .45 Colt I like to carry. I like and own 1911s, and they are more than accurate enough at the range, but somehow a round barrel seems better in the woods. Is that strange, or what?

Back around the late '70s I sold several Snake charmer shotguns through the LGS where I was partnered at the time. I was told that it was called that name because a coiled snake's head and eyes will follow the muzzle of the extended shotgun as it perceives the nearest object to be the threat, and if it strikes that is what it would strike at, and when everything is lined up you pull the trigger. Some of you fellows with experience in that area will have to verify or dispute that statement, as I have a great aversion to snakes and wouldn't put it to the test myself!

DG