RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives for Dillion 550C powder fail safe rod's white plastic flange bushing

Alternatives for Dillion 550C powder fail safe rod's white plastic flange bushing

Ok, I broke another one of those white $3.00+ flange bushings that will cost me $12.00 after shipping just for one. I would like to know if anyone has an alternative to this part. I measured it to be ID 13/64 x OD 5/16 x OAL 5/8 (Flange: OD .5 and thickness 7/32). Now my numbers may be off, so any help with this might solve the problem quickly. I searched everywhere that I could and nothing is out there. The closest one might be the Bunting Bearing #11F030508.

Maybe I'll just super glue mine back together and see if that works for now?

Banned
    How are you breaking those? I've run tens of thousands of rounds through a 550 and never had a problem with that bushing.

Have you tried calling Dillon?

They may suggest what is breaking them, I've never broken one, I don't load that much on my 550 but I'm still in the thousands of rounds.

And I would expect they will send you one for free--remember Dillon has the best warranty out there. Both the Square Deals and the 550 were purchased used by me and they have never failed to replace broken parts regardless of the cause.

Boolit Master
    A few years back I was having some kind of PM issue and Dillon send me 3 of the cubes for good measure (pun intended).
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Moderator Emeritus
    What part are you talking about? Is it this? 18086 Shoulder Washer

Here’s the manual with part numbers: https://dilloncdn.com/manuals/dillon...al-english.pdf

If it’s the part I mentioned, I am sure Dillon will replace it but can’t see how it broke. It is just a nylon bushing that doesn’t have much stress on it.

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    What part are you talking about? Is it this? 18086 Shoulder Washer

Here’s the manual with part numbers: https://dilloncdn.com/manuals/dillon...al-english.pdf

If it’s the part I mentioned, I am sure Dillon will replace it but can’t see how it broke. It is just a nylon bushing that doesn’t have much stress on it.
    Yes, that's the part. After some searching here, I found that if I bent the rod so that it was closer to a 90 degree angle while hanging, that the stress on the bushing seemed to be much less. I simply super glued the part together and am back reloading until I can get a new part. I'm glad those that loaded thousands of rounds in the 550 didn't have a problem with them...but a try at solution would have be appreciated.

I know Dillion will replace it, but I don't like waiting a week for a part that I could possible find in a local store or elsewhere. Some parts are interchangeable or can be slightly modified to do the job.

Thanks to those of you with suggestions and tried to help.

It's hard to imagine how the 18086 Failsafe Bushing could break unless you are over-tightening the blue plastic wing nut. Try using less tension. It only has to be tight enough to return the measure bar to its starting position.

Boolit Master
    Rusty, the solution is to figure out what you’re doing wrong and to stop doing it, but you haven’t provided enough info. The members have a ton of experience, but your experience seems pretty unique so folks can’t guess at what it is you’re doing. It’s probably something small. Can you post a decent picture of that part of your press? What action causes the part to break?

Moderator Emeritus

Kinda hard to propose a solution if no one else is having an issue. My guess would be the rod got bent somehow and is causing a strain. I have not had a problem with mine either.

Moderator Emeritus

Throwing another wrench in the mix, so to speak, I had similar challenge, albeit mine is a 550B. I had added new-to-me calibre addition, and the new powder measure came with their "new and improved" fail-safe modification. Right from the git-go, I had problems, and I, too, broke the white Delrin square plastic slider doo-hickey (technical term) -- Their part # 18086. Fortunately, one comes in their spare parts kit, which I had -- but, to be OCD, I ordered a couple more. The replacement from spare parts kit broke in short order, and I rang Dillon. Perhaps "lucky", I got a gentleman who suggests this has happened, as Dillon "kind of" changed the angles on the operating rod. They sent me, gratis, both a new rod and a plastic bag of three or four of the plastic pieces. Must be fifteen years; I have/load using ten different tool-heads -- and have not a problem with these since. The rod part number is 97000. Just some info re a challenge I had with my press.
    geo

Bold below is copied directly from the PDF Dillon 550 manual and pasted here:
    18086 Failsafe Bushing (agrees with illustration on pg. 4)
    18086 Shoulder Washer (different part name, but part of 16813 Failsafe Rod Assembly)
    13871 Bellcrank Cube (I think this is what some people are talking about)
    97000 Failsafe Rod

Now the question is: Are we talking about part number 18086 or 13781?

Boolit Master
    When I received a new Dillon powder measure I elected to not use the Failsafe Rod Assembly. I just use the new powder measure like I have the others for the last 34 years. Sometimes new and improved isn't always better.

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Throwing another wrench in the mix, so to speak, I had similar challenge, albeit mine is a 550B. I had added new-to-me calibre addition, and the new powder measure came with their "new and improved" fail-safe modification. Right from the git-go, I had problems, and I, too, broke the white Delrin square plastic slider doo-hickey (technical term) -- Their part # 18086. Fortunately, one comes in their spare parts kit, which I had -- but, to be OCD, I ordered a couple more. The replacement from spare parts kit broke in short order, and I rang Dillon. Perhaps "lucky", I got a gentleman who suggests this has happened, as Dillon "kind of" changed the angles on the operating rod. They sent me, gratis, both a new rod and a plastic bag of three or four of the plastic pieces. Must be fifteen years; I have/load using ten different tool-heads -- and have not a problem with these since. The rod part number is 97000. Just some info re a challenge I had with my press.
    geo

Thanks Geo,

That is very similar to what I had experienced. I bought it new, and the rod was always a little "angled" when installed but I just thought that was the way it was supposed to be. It was new, and I never saw a Dillion up close before. Well, I heated the top of the rod where it goes though the powder charger and bent it so that it would hang down at a 90 degree angle. With that done and my "new" super glued Part 18086 in place it slides without any "binding". I think it broke because of its movement along the rod at the awkward angle. I loaded about 3K or more rounds before it broke. With the problem fixed I can continue to reload while waiting on a another bushing from Dillion. The rod seems okay so I'll just keep it. Thanks for the great response and solution.

Boolit Grand Master

The next time you have to order one ...don't ... order 6 !
    With that many extras on hand I would bet money you never break another !
    You might get away with ordering 3 but 6 will guarantee you never need more !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I keep a spare parts kit on hand. It has all the commonly lost/broken parts.

If I take a part out of the kit I call Dillon for a replacement.

No more waiting.
    NRA Benefactor.

Moderator Emeritus
    There shouldn’t be any stress or binding on that part. The failsafe rod slides freely up and down through the bushing. It’s only purpose is to hold the failsafe rod in the right position and the bottom surface pulls the rod down at the bottom of the stroke. The bend you put in the rod probably permanently fixed the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    When I received a new Dillon powder measure I elected to not use the Failsafe Rod Assembly. I just use the new powder measure like I have the others for the last 34 years. Sometimes new and improved isn't always better.
    I also broke that part a couple of times as well. I have seen a lot of people mistakenly install the rod backwards.

I too, found the fail safe contraption to be a big pain. I eliminated it by removing the rod, and pinning the two powder dispenser arms together with a nut and bolt. Now, it works just like the original Dillon design.

Disclaimer: if you choose to do the unthinkable, and rely on yourself for safety—preventing double charges, squibs, and other catastrophic events related to bullet reloading—you may have to go a little slower and watch the powder measure as it operates. It is possible to double charge without the safety rod if you partially raise the ram, and then partially lower the ram, and then fully raise the ram—like when, in mid stroke, you realize you forgot to put the bullet on the brass in next station and then decide to lower the ram slightly to put a bullet on before it is too late. So, be careful.

You may ask: why would this ———- guy remove a safety device. I did it to put the powder on a different station. I get a lot smoother press action when loading 9mm if I use an expander die to bell the case before the powder dispenser comes in contact with the often sticky brass.
    Last edited by 1006; 05-21-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    My old 550 does not have part # 13885, so I just did the unthinkable and relied on my self for safety as I have done for the last 34 years of shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a 550b for quite a few years. I started using a Lee Auto Disc measure on it shortly after I bought it. I prefer the case activated measure, and it has served me well.

The Dillon is case activated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast