Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience with Bibb 3D printed bullet feeder?

Boolit Buddy

Experience with Bibb 3D printed bullet feeder?

I know there was legal drama with DAA and Karl Bibb. They threatened to bankrupt Karl with lawsuits and were able to say they ‘patented’ flipping the Bullets point down in their Mr. Bulletfeeder.

Karl Has changed his 3D bullet feeder to a 2 port design and I can’t figure out how it works AND if the bullet will be nose down.

I got my Lee APP press and ready to size a bunch.

Anyone have the new Karl Bibb feeder? I wouldn’t mind looking at 3D print files on the original design if you had those too.

Boolit Master

Hi psychbiker,
    I have one of Karl's feeder, though it is the old style. I've watched videos of the the new style, and it works fine. If you aren't a member of the group, you'll need to ask to join, but Karl is quick to add you. In any event, the way it works now (without the flipping ramp,) is the first drop tube allows nose down bullets to drop. If you are sizing bullets, hook this to your APP. The other drop directs base-down bullets into another container to be re-added to the bowl. If you want the bullets base-down, simply reverse where the drop goes. Yes, it's a little more work, but it meets the "legal" requirement of not violating DAA's patent. Note in the first picture below, the nose-down bullet will drop into the first spring. In the second picture, base-down will skip over the first spring and drop into the second. Hope this helps.
    Ed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-05-19 12_56_32-(4) Facebook.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	262396 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-05-19 12_58_36-(4) Facebook.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	262397

Boolit Buddy
    People are just making their own ramps now.

Boolit Mold
    I just bought one from Karl. Great bender. I had an issue with the hopper being broken and he made it right. The post office must have played football with the box it was nothing that Karl did. Very good product. I haven't been able to use it yet as we're in the middle of moving.

Boolit Mold
    Great bender. Fat fingers

Boolit Buddy
    did yours come with a ramp? Everyone I've seen posted has the ramp still.

Banned

I have the 2 port. It works. The clamp for the pole mount split on mine and he was a horse's rear end about it. Said he was going to replace it but never did. Been waiting 3 months for the replacement.

Is there a video on the 2 port version somewhere? Curious on how he got around the patent, finally.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Is there a video on the 2 port version somewhere? Curious on how he got around the patent, finally.
    Imagine a spring for nose up bullets and one for nose down bullets. Which spring you use it up to you. The other going into a bucket. Just refill the hopper with the wrong way bullets.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Hi GWS,
    Look at my post #2 above. Those are screen shots from the video on his Facebook page. Here is the video. I don't think Karl would mind me posting this here as a link. Also, the whole purpose of not using the ramp was to avoid patent infringement...that's why the two ports.
    Ed

RedlegEd: That seems a shame to make it half efficient. There are other ways to reorient bullets besides using a MBF style ramp.....one is using a method similar to what I'm using in my latest Rifle bullet "shaker" collator. (I wanted that one to be motor-less.) But that method only works for base-first dropping.

Another method more suitable to feeding point down, is just changing the shape of the hole in your rotating plate so point-first orientation drops but base-first won't (because of the minimum diameter hole. Sort of an egg shaped hole, the wide end barely as wide as the bullet. That method requires a baffle that keeps the bullets feeding to the plate one bullet diameter high. Which means it has to be just under two diameters high.....because you do have to have it to be able to tilt in. If such a baffle for keeping bullets from stacking is too close to one diameter the bullets can't tilt to fall.

If bullets are vertical they will drop either orientation....the baffle prevents such vertical access to the holes too.
    Last edited by GWS; 05-24-2020 at 01:54 AM.

Boolit Master

Hi GWS,
    I don’t don’t disagree at all about the efficiency (or lack thereof.) Unfortunately, Karl (and others) are hamstrung by the patent. Your idea is intriguing and should be looked at. Can you PM me a drawing so I can see if I can design it for 3D printing?
    Ed

RedlegEd: Not ignoring you.....working on a demo of the concept.....within my limitation of using materials and tools that I have in my "quarantine garage" Boy I wish I had a 3d printer! Which one did you buy? And what software did you find to use?

I could PM you a drawing but I only have autocad, which doesn't make the files your printer needs. It'll do some formats....even 3d, but I've never used much of the 3d capability since I do building/house plans for tradesmen who think and build using 2d....so not much experience at drawing 3D.

Anyway, I've made a one-hole demonstrater, and I'll try to get a video made to show you.......I'll bet you can take it further on your own if you want to. Maybe I can have a short vid out tonight.

Boolit Master

Hi GWS,
    Replying with PM.
    Ed

Boolit Bub
    GWS,

I have a lulzbot mini 2 which prints quite well. However, the print bed is only 160mm x 160mm, so a bit small, and I doubt it will be large enough for all the pieces. Their other products have a full 300mm print bed. We also have a Monoprice 121666 Mini Delta 3D which we use for trade shows -- it fits in the luggage and lets people watch stuff being printed. It works quite well. Others at work have other Monoprice printers and Creality and they are good. Lulzbot is a bit pricey but good if you can afford it. The monoprice is a great value.

One of the main software packages is Cura, which is open source. The products from lulzbot has a version of the open source code that is specific for their machines so set up is super easy, but you can use the standard source version. I have my staff using Simplify3D which is powerful, but costs a bit.

Banned

Be very careful of what you download now. Look up the case act. 3d printing is about to die a horrible death. And karl is still selling the original version from what I have seen. Also when i ordered mine early summer he asked me if I wanted the original style or the 2 port.

I don’t understand if your printing it yourself why not just use Ammomikes original files?

Boolit Bub
    I looked for ammoMike's original files, but the place where they should be is 404 on thingaverse (i.e. missing).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Dog View Post
    I looked for ammoMike's original files, but the place where they should be is 404 on thingaverse (i.e. missing).
    Hi,
    There is a lot of activity on this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ullet-Collator. The latest version is a larger bowl and collator, though if you look around the thread, there may still be a link to Ammo Mike's files. TylerR, o416 and some others have done superb work getting everything organized and put into a manual (link) that will answer just about questions you have. Please read it before posting a bunch of questions.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Dog View Post
    PM me with your email.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast