MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robins and Onions Problem

Boolit Master

Robins and Onions Problem

I would love to add a post in the hunting with cast bullets about wiping out the robins for pulling up my onions
    But I figure I just might get in trouble

So I will ask here
    As I am about to ........ err

My problem is I have 1 or 2 robins that are pulling up the small onions
    I replanted 8 onions just this morning
    After almost 2" of rain , it is not fun and muddy

Any idea on getting them not to do it short of 45 gr of lead out of the 22 hornet ?

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

Scarecrow maybe? My cat keeps the birds at bay too.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Tent with hardware cloth.

Banned
    Robins and onions? Sounds like a recipe for dinner to me.

Use to eat blind robins ! Them ones you got with good eye sight probably taste ok too . Joking aside my pap used to throw a few fake rubber snakes out in the garden to keep birds away
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Scarecrow maybe? My cat keeps the birds at bay too.
    I tried to feed a road killed robin to the cats
    Non of them would even touch it

A scarecrow might work for a few days
    Might give the onions a chance to get better roots

Any other ideas ??

Thanks
    John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

put a fake Owl out but you need to move them around a little so they think that they are alive few times a week same with the rubber snake
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Tent with hardware cloth.
    Or one inch chicken wire. Son-in --law 'lost' a 6 inch tall sunflower to a Peacock that he has set out on the patio to acclimate before planting!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Mold
    Hoont water blaster and bright shiny metallic streamers! It has worked for everything that has wondered onto my deck to steal from my container garden.

Trying onions for the first time this year!

Vendor Sponsor

Bird Block Netting from Lowe's. Put a few sticks like poles for a pup tent, drape it over them place a rock here and there to hold it down.

I use this stuff for tomatoes, I build a walk-in cage out of those salt treated 2x2s and staple the bird block netting to it. Keeps the squirrels off my tomatoes. You have to attach it pretty good at ground level so they don't get under it.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

Put a couple mirrors in the garden. Robin's like to fight other Robins. When they see their reflection in a mirror, they'll spend all their time fighting it and forget about the Onions.

I watched (on and off) one Robin having a fight with the neighbors Truck mirror, for several hours. He'd leave then come back for another round.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I like your first idea .

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

If you have to resort to "drastic" measures , take it from an old Cajun....they is mighty tasty and make a good Gumbo or Jambalaya .
    Another tip ...treat them like quail or woodcock .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Bird Block Netting from Lowe's. Put a few sticks like poles for a pup tent, drape it over them place a rock here and there to hold it down.
    Bird netting works. Unfortunately, it also kills snakes, which is why I stopped using it. Beneficial snakes like black rat snakes and black racers get into the bird netting and tangle in it. They then literally tear themselves in two trying to get out. It's horrible.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Bird netting works. Unfortunately, it also kills snakes, which is why I stopped using it. Beneficial snakes like black rat snakes and black racers get into the bird netting and tangle in it. They then literally tear themselves in two trying to get out. It's horrible.
    I have had to free black snakes from it before but if you check your garden daily there won't be an issue if one gets hung up.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Bub
    Isn't there a provision that any animal causing harm to your crop is considered a pest and can be killed? Depredation maybe??

Anyway, we used to keep crows off the blueberry bushes with two colors of ribbon. Tie the two strands together with some streamers on them every 6 to 8 feet. The two different colors blowing in the wind was supposed to confuse the crows. I'm not so sure that it actually worked but it made Grandma feel better.
    Lead, brass, and copper are the real precious metals.

Boolit Master

I once knew a guy from another country that preferred robin breast to quail or dove.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master

Keep in mind owls attract crows. You may be woke up with a bunch of crows attacking the decoy. A vee from light 1" square mesh wire can be bent up around a 2 x 6 x 6' board with 2" edges and pushed into the ground on each side. I dont think they would enter the ends and this will protect the plants

Mom would put stakes with a small aluminum pie pan on strings to blow in the wind. ( the cheap disposable ones abut 4" in diameter) This seemed to work also, but you have to untangle occasionally.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    You must have unique robins! Never seen this to be the case! Now robins love earth worms....They may be digging for them. If you have a lot of organic matter in your soil ( Compost ) you may have a lot of earthworms! Since Earthworms and onions like the same PH in the soil...Those little wigglers may be overpopulating the garden which will drive Thrushes ( Robins in particular ) Crazy
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast