MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas check before pc?

Boolit Buddy
    I PC and then apply gas check. I use my seating/crimping die to seat the check. Keeps them consistent and square. Then run through the sizer.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Yes, you don't have to use a GC when powder coating to prevent leading.

But, if the bullet is designed for a GC then it will usually be more accurate with the GC installed.

I cast, install GC, size, PC and size again. I do not use a lube when sizing. The GC seems to prevent lead build up in the sizing die (or it is due to me polishing the die a bit).

Boolit Master
    Hi guys, I just wanted to thank everyone for there responses. So I guess the short answer to my question is yes there’s no reason why I can’t gas check my .224 Boolets before I powder coat them. And I know this will be considered sacrilegious by most to follow this sub forum, I have no intention of relying solely on powder coating. I plan on lube sizing some of my .224 Boolets. Personally, I want the ability to be able to make ammunition for every caliber firearm I shoot. From 9 mm Makarov up and including 30-06 in a remote location, without electricity. Especially in light of the events of the last few months. As a sidenote I intend on powder coating some Boolets outside over a fire with the aid of some type of home construct hotbox/oven. If for no other reason then to say I did it, and I can do it again if I need to.
    Anyway thanks for all the input. As usual this form and its members have a plethora of knowledge and wisdom that they are more than happy to share with others. I for one I am honored to call myself a member of this community.
    Thanks again guys I’ll keep you appraised of my success and failures.
    Sincerely,
    Poppy42
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Banned
    Not sacrilegious to me, even PC has its limits. I GC all my 223 boolits, speedy little varmints they are. I push some past 3,200 fps. need the GC for anything over 1600 - 2000 fps depending on the base, alloy, and gun powder

Boolit Master

I do not see why gas checks cannot be applied before PCing and sizing. I've been doing that since I started PCing. Yes, it is bothersome putting the tiny checks on the .225 RCBS flat nose cast boolit I cast and use but I use latex gloves (to keep any contaminant off the boolit) when I apply the gas check. Sizing is done after PCing using a Star sizer. Big Boomer

Banned

I coat 4 or 5 of them and try to see if I can install a check with them allreayd coated. If not I do it then coat. I ran into one bullet that was loosing its checks on the way to the target with a bullet I checked then coated. I kind of thought maybe when heated in the oven the copper and lead expand differently and it loosened the check. Don't know if its for sure though. I know that if I check after coating that check crimps real tight into the pc.

One of the objects of GC is to make the base square to the centerline. So far my best results are to size a bit larger when seating the GC, then PC and size again proper. I use Lee pushthru and the initial sizing (just large enough that the bullet is 'centered' properly) gets the GC on square and it stays that way with minimum distortion of the bullet. Baking the PC also anneals the GC some. This is offhand BO carbine @ 50 yd, 2130 fps 145gr.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carbine5017.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	262514
    Whatever!

Banned
    some PC coats thinner than others, some PC's you can remove all excess from the boolits and just dump in a basket and get good results.

the silvers seem to work, maybe clear will - I haven't tried clear doing the dump method yet

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I coat 4 or 5 of them and try to see if I can install a check with them allreayd coated. If not I do it then coat. I ran into one bullet that was loosing its checks on the way to the target with a bullet I checked then coated. I kind of thought maybe when heated in the oven the copper and lead expand differently and it loosened the check. Don't know if its for sure though.
    Hmmm, could you pick the check off? I would think the PC would "glue" the check on fairly well.

Banned

that was the theory I got from someone else but theres a lot of friction and heat going down a barrel. Ive lost them of handgun bullets before that you couldn't peal off with your fingernail. Don't really know. All I do know is that I was loosing checks before the 50 yard target
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Hmmm, could you pick the check off? I would think the PC would "glue" the check on fairly well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12