Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Blending some scrap...

Boolit Master

Blending some scrap...

I think I will end up with Wheel Weight/ lead shot type alloy.
    Sent off some samples to get tested.

Pencil hardness test a few hours later came in around 12 bhn.

I think my split Blending was good enough to equal out the alloy for my needs. If the 2 samples come back way off I might just have to split the blend again.

just to add Walmart has the Blue Rhino tank exchange for $14.82 So I rounded up a few expired tanks and filled up. figured it cost me about .04 cents/lb to blend- 100lbs
    so all this time off I been able to catch up on all my smelting and alloy sorting. think Im done for a good while
    Last edited by mac1911; 05-18-2020 at 10:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post

I think I will end up with Wheel Weight/ lead shot type alloy.
    Sent off some samples to get tested.

Pencil hardness test a few hours later came in around 12 bhn.

I think my split Blending was good enough to equal out the alloy for my needs. If the 2 samples come back way off I might just have to split the blend again.

just to add Walmart has the Blue Rhino tank exchange for $14.82 So I rounded up a few expired tanks and filled up. figured it cost me about .04 cents/lb to blend- 100lbs
    so all this time off I been able to catch up on all my smelting and alloy sorting. think Im done for a good while
    Nice.

Boolit Grand Master

When I have an unknown quantity of lead I melt it together and send a sample off for test. If its a really small quantity I just put it in with the next 400# batch of wheel weights that I melt. If I do add it to my wheel weights I test each piece for zinc.

This includes battery cable ends, odd fishing sinkers, Duck Decoy weights, ingots taken in trade, ect ect.

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    When I have an unknown quantity of lead I melt it together and send a sample off for test. If its a really small quantity I just put it in with the next 400# batch of wheel weights that I melt. If I do add it to my wheel weights I test each piece for zinc.

This includes battery cable ends, odd fishing sinkers, Duck Decoy weights, ingots taken in trade, ect ect.
    I do pretty much the same. but I melt the small quantity of misc. lead into one batch. By melting something I'm pretty sure is plain soft lead and dipping other items into the melt with a thermometer in it. Toss aside anything that doesn't easily melt. Get happy over the stuff that melts super fast (tin causes easier melting) I pour this into bread loaf pans to make inch. inch and a half slaps. I drill a sample from those, melt the shavings in a spoon to make the pea sized sample that BNE wants.

That way I send in a sample to be tested from a larger batch of assorted lead and lead alloys. I try to do misc. lead when I get to around 50 pounds or so. Then I can plug the alloy results into Bumpo's lead alloy calculator for mixing.

I will sometimes sort the misc. lead too. Like when I have 30# of this, and 25# of that, and some assorted soft lead like pipe or sheet. That means I have three samples to send (at cost of 3# of lead) but I can mix those items in with greater confidence when making "finished" alloys.

The tested bread loaf slab ingots accumulate until eventually I do some big batches with them that I pour into the cast boolet ingot molds or pucks or whatever mold seems appropriate. I can do about 135# at a time as a big batch. A bit more if the ingots melted were already fluxed.

I'm pretty caught up. Only have one batch left to make into a "finished" alloy.
    Last one for awhile will be one batch of misc. that is a touch over 100# of mostly dental foil tested as 2/4/94 and 27# of 4/4/92 I accumulated from something. Both tested. By throwing in a few pounds of some solder and 5# of printers lead.... I should get a nice batch of 3/3/92 that will totally fill my pot to the top.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Results are in. Came back Sb2% Pb98%
    So looks like its moslty old magnum shot. Which IIRC is what the bulk of the scrap was suposed to be

Boolit Grand Master
    Cool! Add a pinch of tin to make it flow better and get to casting! Sounds like you have the basis of some good alloy.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    Very nice