Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Mould question - new here

Boolit Mold

Mould question - new here

Hi. Brand new to the board and casting. Been reloading for 30+ years. I've always had an interest but couldn't force myself to buy lead. Now I have access to as much lead as I can use. I would like to start casting m/l bullets and round balls for now.

I have always used .50cal Hornady Pa bullet for Pa muzzleloader hunting with good success. Does anyone know of a mould that comes close to the shape and weight of the PA bullet?

Thanks in advance. Dave

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Are you set on the Hollow base and the knurled driving bands? Or open to flat base and lube grooves?

Boolit Mold
    Would prefer to avoid lubing for now if that is even a possibility. But would do it for the right bullet. Problem is I have no equipment yet and will be picking it up as I go.

Boolit Master
    I looked at the Hornady bullet and it appears that these are swaged and then knurled. Not sure what kind of lube they use. The hollow base could be a problem. If there is a custom mold maker, I would not suggest that a new caster take on the project until they have practiced with a plain based cast bullet mold and mastered the casting technique. The cheapest "starter mold" would be the Lee REAL 50 cal bullet and it casts at 250 grains.

Have you recovered one of the Hornady bullets? Does the HB actually expand upon firing? I ask because it looks like the cavity is pretty shallow and the skirt is very minor in appearance. To try this bullet, you will need a casting furnace, a ladle, a mold and a supply of lead. You do not need a lube sizer to lubricate the cast bullet, but you do need a lube and there are many home mix lubes that are suitable for black powder. DO NOT USE SMOKELESS powder bullet lube.

I may have time to do some casting and can make up a hundred or so and you can try the heavier bullet and then decide if it works and if you really want the lighter bullet. I looked at the Midway site and both bullets are presently out of stock, but there are other sources to check. If you think you would like to try some of these 320 grain REAL bullets, reply with your mailing address, BY PM, and I will find some time this week to get them on the way. Only enough to justify the USPS SFRB priority mail charge. Dusty

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the great info Dusty. I have read some good things about the bullet you mentioned as it seems to be fairly common. Definitely wouldn't be opposed to trying a different direction with a different bullet. Thanks for the gracious offer on the bullet sample. I will try to pm u but as a new member, I may need more posts

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had great results from the tried & true T/C Maxi-ball. Accurate and good on game. It has lube grooves, but then I find that necessary for good shooting. One thing that mitigates the lube mess while hunting is a bullet board. Lube up your bullets, at home, and push them into a bullet board and you can load in the field with a minimum of contact with the lube. I like the T/C Maxi more than the T/C Hunter, but that's just me. Both are good.

Either pick up a maxi ball mold or one of the Lyman plains bullet molds. You will need to smear some lube in the grooves, but you should not have to size them. What are you planning to shoot them out of?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

if lead is endless, you might get some to sell here, just sayin..

Welcome to the group. Bunch of nice knowledgeable folks here. I’ve been blessed with their support. If you just ask, many may be willing to help you get set up-I.e.older melting pots, dippers, brass, lead (but you’re covered there), lots of advice, samples.....

What kind of lead do you have access to? If ya don’t mind me asking! As ascast said, you might could sell some here if nothing else than just to cover your startup costs. Lots of folks are willing to trade. I think you need 30 posts to sell/trade and there are rules, so read the selling sticky. I’m not sure but I think you can PM from the start-in fact I did when I joined. Had some mentors teaching this old goat some tricks!

(Maybe this is cheating a bit but to get your post count up, find some threads you like and post “following” on it.)

Again, welcome.

Edit: I just read a rule. Your posts to increase your post count has to be “meaningful.” So just posting “following” MIGHT get one in trouble. Of course if you truly want to follow the thread and gain knowledge then “following” might be appropriate.
    Last edited by Tazlaw; 05-19-2020 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Read a rules sticky
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Depending on the twist of your Barrel the Lee real and a maxi both work well don't know of any molds like the Pa conical . The ole round ball works well enough so it's what I use in Pa
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I will be shooting them from a Lyman deerstalker and a t/c Omega. I try to streamline my loads for m/l so I can keep the straight.

Boolit Mold
    What is a bullet board? I never thought about the maxi. It is similar in shape to the Hornady iirc

Boolit Mold
    I am not exactly sure what kind of lead. How can I tell?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ring1 View Post
    What is a bullet board? I never thought about the maxi. It is similar in shape to the Hornady iirc

This is a maxi ball.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B8C9859F-D826-4654-BB10-D5893F5C3725.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	262407