RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: pepper seedlings problem

Boolit Master

pepper seedlings problem

I got some numex suave seeds I was really excited to try because its a habanero modified to be mild but still have the flavor. they germinated and got first baby leaves fine. once they got big enough to have first real leaves they come out yellow and somewhat see through. some where the first real leaves are half an inch they got somewhat darker but have some purple/brown colors. they were in 6 pack gowing cells under my lights which grow everything else very well. I gave them liquid fish/ seaweed once they were up. and once gave them half strength miracle grow tomato food. dirt is pro mix potting soil. I think they may have stayed too wet when the problem was starting or too little nitrogen. but to add nitrogen I had to water so I watered with some half strength dissolvable fertilizer and moved them into Styrofoam cups and let them seep their water to the new potting mix and put them under moving air to dry faster.

any ideas if theyll be ok or try something else? I could take some out and wash the dirt away and start fresh if something was wrong with the soil and how it got fertilized. thanks for any advice

Sounds to me like they are over fertilized. I don't know where you are, but as soon as you can you should get them outdoors. It's still too cold here in Virginia.

Boolit Master

Definitely sounds over fertilized and possibly over watered. Also when I used grow lights some people plants like a certain strain of Roma tomato seemed to react poorly to the grow light after germination, it discolored the leaves .
    Tiny little seedlings with underdeveloped roots and leaves need very very little fertilizer, some plants more sensitive to it than others, too much nitrogen will often discolor leaves , also burn the roots.
    Another thing I’ve learned , peppers and tomatoes are very sensitive to over watering while in single cell flats. Pepper seeds will actually molder and rot in to wet a soil.
    Hope this helps.

Boolit Master

all seedlings need is good potting soil, no fertilizer at all until they are in the garden. I would repot them asap and get rid of as much old dirt as you can without disturbing the roots.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead