Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Refinished a Lyman All-American

Banned

Refinished a Lyman All-American

This is a press my dad bought new in 1972 and it was the workhorse in my handloading room until 2007 when I had to have a Forster coaxial press. Still used it though as the Forster universal shellholder gimmick forced me to buy more parts from Forster. It's been off the bench for about a year so I decided to give it a new look and put it back into service.
    Pics to follow!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman-1rev.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	262330 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman2rev.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	262331 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman3rev.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	262332
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Banned

Thanks KMac!

Boolit Master
    too bad you didnt make it red . you say 72 didnt know that one was made then that has the small handle about 82. ?

Banned

Definitely not 82.......I like the gray. I'm not an anal purist! And it was 72 when I started using it.

Moderator Emeritus

Smithnframe: If yours is the Lyman All-American -- I have and use three of these awesome (imho ) presses! I believe I purchased my first in 1972 -- coinciding with yours. I keep each set up with (rifle) dies in three different calibres. Never professing to be the brightest lamp in the fixture, though, it took me about a decade of use before I "discovered" that little screw which needs to be snugged up at rear of turret to attenuate any "wobble" -- providing maximum repeatability in every load. I have an "original vintage" Ohaus measure on each, too. I might add, too, that I neither decap nor prime with these presses -- I have an old Pacific single stage -- "my dirty press" reserved for ALL decapping; and, prime using a Holland/RCBS bench priming tool.
    These are, indeed, GREAT presses. Congrats on your refurb -- I hope you get many years of productive enjoyment from it!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    I got mine from the guy who bought it from the John Ambler estate. It had hardly been used... I assume just tested for review. I’ve got it semi-permanently set up for 327 FM using Lyman dies including their combination expander and through the die powder drop. Powder is measured using a long discontinued Lyman Accu-Measure. It seems just about perfect for this application.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned

Hey George.......I have a couple old Ohaus powder measures too! Like I said in my first post this was my workhorse press for 35 years. I have quite a collection of the "J" type shell holders too!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Hey George.......I have a couple old Ohaus powder measures too! Like I said in my first post this was my workhorse press for 35 years. I have quite a collection of the "J" type shell holders too!
    Somewhere (???) I have a box with a small J-assortment shell holders assortment, too. BUT, very early in the game I discovered the adapter which permits using Lyman X, and plain-Jane RCBS, Redding, et cetera shell holders -- and never looked back.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J to X adapter.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	262424 I love these presses....
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    Somewhere (???) I have a box with a small J-assortment shell holders assortment, too. BUT, very early in the game I discovered the adapter which permits using Lyman X, and plain-Jane RCBS, Redding, et cetera shell holders -- and never looked back.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	J to X adapter.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	262424 I love these presses....
    geo
    That’s cheating, George! Anybody can find “normal” shell holders. You need to use the J-type so you really appreciate them! It’s not like you’re trying to find them for a Herter’s or something.

Froggie

Moderator Emeritus

You may have a point, Froggie; and now that I have each of my three All-Americans "dedicated" for one-each cartridge -- it surely might be a doable change. Back in 1968 or so when I started reloading, I was trying to get by with two and 1/2 part time jobs -- and, my 1st wife -- using a single stage RCBS press; one shell-holder each for the three calibres, only, I loaded. A few years later, sans both the single stage press and wife -- I graduated to the Lyman -- and buying the adapter seemed the "smart" thing to do, enabling my use of the shell holders I already had. Now -- in 2020 -- I do not know, but imagine J-type holders may be difficult to obtain, unless on the used market. And, even if so, those in odd-ball calibres -- or even those introduced after the AA's demise -- e.g., Was a J-type shell holder for 10mm Auto ever made? -- reinforce still using the adapter.
    Note, though, I retained the J-types I have...
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    Look on the current Lyman shell holder list... find the one for your 10 mm and see what other cases it fits. Then you can find the J-type listed for that other case. I helped my cousin do this many years ago when the Ten first came out so he could use it in his All American.

Froggie

Boolit Master

I have one of the AA presses and I also have the adapter to use modern shell holders. No way am I going to pay the prices that are being asked for the "J" shell holders. But then I have always been stubborn about overpaying for things. james

Banned

I've had the adapter for several years also.......only use it when I have to.......which isn't very often!

Boolit Grand Master
    You may have a point, Froggie; and now that I have each of my three All-Americans "dedicated" for one-each cartridge -- it surely might be a doable change. Back in 1968 or so when I started reloading, I was trying to get by with two and 1/2 part time jobs -- and, my 1st wife -- using a single stage RCBS press; one shell-holder each for the three calibres, only, I loaded. A few years later, sans both the single stage press and wife -- I graduated to the Lyman -- and buying the adapter seemed the "smart" thing to do, enabling my use of the shell holders I already had. Now -- in 2020 -- I do not know, but imagine J-type holders may be difficult to obtain, unless on the used market. And, even if so, those in odd-ball calibres -- or even those introduced after the AA's demise -- e.g., Was a J-type shell holder for 10mm Auto ever made? -- reinforce still using the adapter.
    geo
    I just looked it up... you should be able to use a Lyman #15 shell holder, J- or X-type for your 10 mm loads. That was the one my cousin and I found at a gun show so he could load 10 mm/40 S&W on his All American. It’s not a commonly used size, so is likely to be found cowering at the bottom of somebody’s junk box (if you’re lucky!)

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Has anyone found a rattle can that mimics the oddball Lyman red used on the All American and Comet presses? I’ve decided I “need” to paint one of my Accu-Measures to match the AA I have it mounted on. I mean, it’s only right, and I don’t want the fashion police to give me a citation for color clashing.

Froggie

Boolit Master

geo
    I believe J holder #15 will fit the 10mm Auto

Update - I see Froggie already answered the mail on this.
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Has anyone found a rattle can that mimics the oddball Lyman red used on the All American and Comet presses? I’ve decided I “need” to paint one of my Accu-Measures to match the AA I have it mounted on. I mean, it’s only right, and I don’t want the fashion police to give me a citation for color clashing.

Froggie
    I think this is close ..... ( https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...Grand-American )

If you want I can try to get a side-by-side with my Comet or AA Turret press.

LMK Froggie.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.