RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me Savage Mark II on the way

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

New to me Savage Mark II on the way

I've been wanting an inexpensive, simple, and not too nice looking .22 rifle to keep in the garage for awhile now, and the Savage Mark II seems to fit the bill nicely. I got a used example on GB for $84.00 shipped, supposedly a broken front sight is all that is wrong with it. I have plenty of sights in stock to fit, probably stick a Marble's Bullseye on the rear too. What can you tell me about these rifles? Savage seems to have a really good reputation but I've never had any of their products before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Savage Mk. II.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	262329
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I bought the MKII FVT ... it is sitting in the Smiths safe, has been for a month now. My Cal DL expired in April and our DMV is not open so I can renew it so I can prove that I am me...the expired one is me too but somehow it's not me anymore even though I have an extension.

It's nutz out here behind enemy lines.
    I have my cheek riser formed up from Kydex but can't trim & fit it with the rifle 30 miles from here...

Even found a single feed magazine plug I'm fixing to order ... but been procrastinating about that, I just can't get in a hurry about this anymore with all this insanity going on within the states.

If I ever get it I'll let you know how much I like it ... I know I'm gonna like it, I've seen every review out there and it's a solid rifle ... well with a few mods, cheek riser, balance & stiffen the plastic stock ... you'll prolly know more about it than me if things keep on like this.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I bought my petite niece in law one of the youth models and teaching her to shoot we went thru 200 rounds flawlessly. She grew up in Virginia across from DC and had never fired a gun before. She is a badAshley now! I hate the accutrigger but she likes it so no problem. I bought her husband a Maverick 88 for graduation and she has since fired it with no fear.
    I love creating monsters- especially women. They come into shooting with no preconceived notions or bad habits!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I bought the MKII FVT ... it is sitting in the Smiths safe, has been for a month now. My Cal DL expired in April and our DMV is not open so I can renew it so I can prove that I am me...the expired one is me too but somehow it's not me anymore even though I have an extension.

It's nutz out here behind enemy lines.
    I have my cheek riser formed up from Kydex but can't trim & fit it with the rifle 30 miles from here...

Even found a single feed magazine plug I'm fixing to order ... but been procrastinating about that, I just can't get in a hurry about this anymore with all this insanity going on within the states.

If I ever get it I'll let you know how much I like it ... I know I'm gonna like it, I've seen every review out there and it's a solid rifle ... well with a few mods, cheek riser, balance & stiffen the plastic stock ... you'll prolly know more about it than me if things keep on like this.
    Wow, that looks like a nice rifle. I see they make a CA/NY compliant mag for it too.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I bought my petite niece in law one of the youth models and teaching her to shoot we went thru 200 rounds flawlessly. She grew up in Virginia across from DC and had never fired a gun before. She is a badAshley now! I hate the accutrigger but she likes it so no problem. I bought her husband a Maverick 88 for graduation and she has since fired it with no fear.
    I love creating monsters- especially women. They come into shooting with no preconceived notions or bad habits!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    My daughter is 4 and really wants to go squirrel hunting, believe it or not. The Mark II is petite even not being a youth model so I imagine she will grow into it pretty fast.

Boolit Master
    Years ago Wife saw the Mk II BTV and had to have one so I custom ordered her one brand new. While ordering she saw the gold ringed scopes and just had to have one (leupold) so in my youthful eagerness to get her engaged in shooting I bought it and mounted it all together as a birthday present.

It is a wonderful tack driver and was proven so all three times wife took it shooting. Been a safe queen ever since.

Betting my daughter will love it when she’s old enough.

Ya know, we understand if you really bought the rifle for yourself but told the wife it was hers. You know, like how Homer Simpson gifted Marge a bowling ball with his initials on it.

Boolit Master

Mk II 17 HMR, wonderful gun. Bought a Mk II 22lr for my daughter that one seems fine as well.

Boolit Master
    Bought a B22 FVSR, the current Savage offering. I only differs in a couple of ways. Mine had an especially tight chamber that needed to go back to the factory to be reamed. It runs really well and is pretty accurate when fed the right ammo. It likes standard or subsonic velocity the best. Rimfirecentral.com has a bunch of threads on the Mark II's and the B22's.
    Do yourself a favor and order another spring clip for the extractor. They tend to be weak.

Thanks, I sure will do that.

When yer hot, yer hot!! Also won a nicer example with a wood stock and two mags for $130.00 total.

Name:	pix059672076.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	262403

Boolit Mold
    The Mark II is a fantastic little rifle. Accurate, reliable, and inexpensive. I have three of them. They are all accurate. As some have mentioned, the extractor spring is the weak point on these. Visit the rimfire central site. Lots of Savage/Stevens expertise there.

Good luck with yours.

I picked up the beater Mark II yesterday. Overall it's what I expected, fortunately the bore looks good. One problem, the stock screw is seized in the action stud that connects to the receiver in front of the mag. When I took the stock off to clean it, it unscrewed the stud from the receiver (which was rather loose to begin with). The hex head on the screw quickly stripped out so I had to hacksaw it off to separate it from the stock. Looks like I'll be calling Savage for parts on Tuesday, will get extras for the extractor while I'm at it. Also using this time while it is apart to paint the stock.

Got the stock painted and added a white dot front sight and Marble's Bullseye rear. Took the rifle for a test drive yesterday as the action stays in place just fine unless you turn it upside down. The Mark 2 is easily minute of squirrel as long as I do my part. Like my other .22 rifles, it really likes Remington Thunderbolts. Good accuracy and every round feeds and ejects perfectly. W-W Power Points not so much, about 40% fail to eject. Maybe I have alot of bad karma to over come for the years of trash talking about Thunderduds!

Name:	Savage Mark II.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	262802

Just got off the phone with Savage, ordered all the parts including new extractors and collar spring for $18.00. Hopefully that is all it will need, fingers crossed.

I got a nice used one with one 5round mag and 2 ten round mags and a Baraska scope
    Mounted a Pride Fowler 6x and it is a tack drive at 100 yards. I shoot clay pigeon pieces with abandon so I got 3 more 10 round mags. Adding the can does little to impact accuracy. A Best Buy IMHO

Sounds good. From what little time I have spent with it, this rifle shoots as well as any other I have tried.

OS OK

Please tell me more about the single shot magazine plug

I have an older, pre Accu Trigger MK II that is a good squirrel rifle. it has the slim barrel with sights.
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee

I've seen the single shot adapter on Fleabay for like 10 bux. Just a mag shaped piece of plastic that guides the round into the chamber.

Picked up the nicer Mark II and installed a Williams FP-GR and a taller front sight. Took it out to 30 yards today and looking good so far!

Name:	Savage Mark II wood.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	263021

Name:	Savage Mark II groups.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	263022

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast