Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to me Savage Mark II on the way

Not that it matters a bit but aren't these Rifles made in Canada by Lakefield for Savage?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Both of mine are. As I understand it, Savage bought Lakefield back in the 90's and just continued their line of rimfires.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Got my parts from Savage yesterday. Everything is correct except for the front action stud under the barrel, the male thread on it is too small. Best as I can tell the original is 5/16-24. I simply replaced one of the action screws in front of the trigger with the stud, and drilled a hole under it in the stock for the stock screw to tie it all together, works perfectly now. This rifle only used one stock screw from the factory anyway, so I just moved it back a little bit.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

The beater rifle is coming along quite well. After cleaning and oiling the extractors it seems to extract Winchesters just fine now. Only problem is the leaf spring mag catch seems to be not holding the mag up as high was it should, the bolt keeps skipping over the next round in the mag. I rest the mag against my free hand while working the bolt and it feeds perfectly. Is this known to be a problem on these rifles?

We have a Savage 17HMR that did that. A new magazine fixed it I think. I need to dig it out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thanks. I tried all the mags I have (which work perfectly in the nicer rifle) and same thing. I 'spose I'll have to dig into it when I get a chance, mebbe the mag catch is bent or something.

Boolit Master
    Doing some reading on Rimfirecentral.com, the mags on the Mark II's are a troublesome point. It seems the mag walls tend to bow outwards with use. Give em a squeeze, a little bend back in and test them out. Make sure the feed lips don't bow out when squeezing the mag body. Also, try to avoid dropping the mags. The newer version of these rifles now use rotary feed mags.

Update: I found that the mag catch was not assembled correctly. It is supposed to be sandwiched between the mag housing and receiver with a screw connecting all 3 together. I found mine was assembled under the mag housing, holding the mag too low in the receiver. That corrected, it's shooting great now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12