RepackboxRotoMetals2ADvertise hereWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Case forming warning

Boolit Buddy
    I Used to form 6.5-06 cases from .25-06 or 270 brass. Worked great. Then I tried some militaty 30-06 and I think I had a thick neck-to the point where I blew up the gun. Welded the bolt shut, couldn’t open.
    I suggest a reloader measure before and again after and again after sizing.
    The 30/06, 270 and the 25/06 case body/including the shoulder are all the same.

If you necked the 30/06 down count on the neck getting longer. Problems are created when the shoulder becomes part of the neck. I find it an advantage when I need to off set the neck of a generious chamber.

F. Guffey

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    I should be embarrassed, I am the one that said it is impossible to move a shoulder back with a die that has full case body support. I am also the one that fired 8mm57 rounds in my 8mm06 chamber without case head separation. the shoulder of the 8mm57 case is .127" from the shoulder of the 8mm06.
    F. Guffey
    FWIW - One very good way to achieve excessive shoulder setback is to fireform with a light load. OK with rimmed cases, but with rimless the explosion of the primer drives the case forward, and with a light load there isn't enough pressure to drive it back again.
    Eleutheromaniac

Boolit Master
    Thickness of the case head may or may not be significant.
    What is important is the STRENGTH of the case head. The ability of the case head to withstand high pressure is dependent on the hardness of the brass too. It has demonstrated by Bob Hagle in. Handloader Magazine article about 50 years ago that higher Brinnel hardness case heads withstood higher pressures in the 7mm Rem Mag. He cut off the case bodies and measured the hardness of the case heads between the belt and the flash hole.

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    Reloaders; I have been told the military case is heavier because it is thicker. A lot of reloaders talked about it but I had trouble finding a reloader that weighed and or measuring.

I told them if there was any truth it could only be a half-truth. All of my surplus 30/06 cases had a case head thickness of .200" when measured from the cup above the web to the case head. I compared the surplus cases to Remington 30/06 cases. The Remington case head had a thickness of .260"; that meant nothing to another reloader but if the Remington case head is .060" thicker the case head has to be heavier than a case head with a thickness of .200". It was then I realized I was not talking to a group that could keep up.

They were weak on case head protrusion but that did not slow me down, I recommended the Remington case with the thick case head for safety. I wasted my time but just in case there was a reloader that was interested I did not want to miss them.

F. Guffey
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    Thickness of the case head may or may not be significant.
    I would agree if you understood why the Remington case with the thick case head is safer than then the thousands of cases I have that are .200" thick.

F. Guffey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12