WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making charcoal for BP

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    I think the big thing about temp is the consistency of the powder lot to lot. That would be difficult to do in a hobby setting.

Bob
    You get consistency by blending several small lots into one - whether charcoal or powder - the blend is your friend - be careful tho

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skrapyard628 View Post
    Reading this makes me a bit curious. Would using the natural hardwood lump charcoal you can buy for grilling at the hardware store work for making BP? Has anyone tried this?
    many have tried and failed = poor quality powder is the story - dirty - inconsistent - low energy - I took their word for it .

Boolit Grand Master
    I've been meaning to try this.
    What wood is the best???
    Hard or soft wood???
    We don't have much variety here, so wanting to use scrap wood.

Boolit Master
    Abunaitoo, I have heard that coconut shell charcoal is good, but have never tried it.

Well these guys say no. They suggest grape vine.
    https://pyrodata.com/chemicals/Charcoal
    Last edited by JimB..; 05-21-2020 at 08:01 PM. Reason: I was probably wrong.

Boolit Master
    Usually the lighter the weight of the wood (lower density), the more energetic the BP made using the charcoal (like all rules, there are exceptions). Some wood species leave more ash than others. For pyro stuff the ash isn't that important, for use in firearms it make a big difference in the fouling left behind. Most hardwoods leave less ash, most softwoods more. Light pine is great for pyro BP, but leaves more fouling that's harder to clean when used in guns compared to most (popular for BP) hardwoods.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The best wood is the one with the most glucose when harvested in the Spring. Goex subcontracts yellow maple and premium Swiss buys spring cut alder buckthorn from the Gypsies, stores for 3 years, peels off the bark and then makes charcoal as I previously posted
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When I first thought about making BP, I found the most important ingredient was the charcoal. I found some SEM pictures and the best charcoal had tiny voids in it produced by the fibers of the wood. I guess the voids were filled with the other ingredients and that’s what makes it better. These aren’t the pictures I found before related to BP, but will give an idea.

https://www.google.com/search?q=char...obile&ie=UTF-8

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    You get consistency by blending several small lots into one - whether charcoal or powder - the blend is your friend - be careful tho
    I make enough at one time that I don't have to blend small batches.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz330 View Post
    I make enough at one time that I don't have to blend small batches.

Bob
    so not a hobby setting!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    so not a hobby setting!
    They aren't that big but I shoot mid and long range competition and use store bought for that. My HM is used for hunting or close range (150yd).

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    The best wood is the one with the most glucose when harvested in the Spring. Goex subcontracts yellow maple and premium Swiss buys spring cut alder buckthorn from the Gypsies, stores for 3 years, peels off the bark and then makes charcoal as I previously posted
    Spring cut? So how about about wood that is dried standing? I have a tree of heaven or two that are just about dead standing due to the spotted lantern flies. Was thinking of trying my hand at homemade with them when they are ready to fall. The one tree should be able to make about....How many pounds of charcoal can you get out of a tree that would make two cord of firewood plus all the smaller stuff?

Anyway, question is, should I cut it before it dies or just let it stand and cut it when it's more convenient?

Most would have willow close by id think if my memory serves black willow is what you want but i may be behind on the latest achievements
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    Cooking wood in a vented container at a controlled temperature, sounds like a job for a PID controller hooked to a gas camp stove.

When Dupont was making chemicals through the destructive distillation of wood in giant retorts and waste byproduct (to DuPont) was the wood charcoal. DuPont sold the waste to GOEX.
    When the retort wore out they quit that area of business. GOEX had to to find a new source of charcoal.

“Activated charcoal” you see that label applied to many products, particularly if the product is a filter.
    I see a trendy trend now is to have charcoal as an ingredient in shampoos and body washes.

What does Jack Daniel’s do with the charcoal in their filtering vats? Might make good BP once the booze dries out of it. Maybe it all ready earmarked for GOEX.

How about all that Texas mesquite wood. Cook it to charcoal. make it into BP. Every shot fired would smell like a BBQ in hell. Maybe a mesquite and Jack Daniel’s charcoal blend, it might cause a resurgence in popularity in BP shooting.

Pipe tobacco manufacturers put all sorts of weird flavouring in their deadly product, so why not some dried apple peel in you BP to counter the sulphur stench.

I have always understood that the type of wood, eg willow, buckthorn, alder is most important, and the charcoal is the most important ingredient. I did make a small batch of powder by hand using charcoal made from cherrywood. I found it had about 1/3 the strength of factory Goex. It did go off ok in a Navy colt and my flintlock rifle, but no real guts. I did not compress it into a puck when damp, so that may well have made a huge difference.
    A Pid controller on a gas barbecue might well be a good way of making a consistent product. I did try some powder for priming that a mate made out of palm fronds, that went off fine. It was pretty much dust so I did not try it as a main charge.
    Keep yor hoss well shod an' yo powda dry !

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Greg, you can even light the smoke on the lid with a lighter if you dont like all that smoke... it is highly combustable... just remember that when the smoke stops, you are done. and dont open the lid to take a peek... it will possibly flare up...
    Do you know they once used that smoke to run engines?

Boolit Master
    Here's the black powder making super thread. There's an incredible amount of info therein. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...e-black-powder

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    Do you know they once used that smoke to run engines?
    yep WW2 - seen pictures of them old 1920's cars with the "Gas Producer" on the back - my Dad told me a well fed horse was a better bet but those old contraptions spluttered along and got there - my Grandad and the boys buried a 44 gal of good petrol in the middle of the chookshed floor to avoid handing it in when rationing came in early in the war - dug it up about 1953 (after the rationing ended)

Quote Originally Posted by seetrout View Post
    Spring cut? So how about about wood that is dried standing? I have a tree of heaven or two that are just about dead standing due to the spotted lantern flies. Was thinking of trying my hand at homemade with them when they are ready to fall. The one tree should be able to make about....How many pounds of charcoal can you get out of a tree that would make two cord of firewood plus all the smaller stuff?

Anyway, question is, should I cut it before it dies or just let it stand and cut it when it's more convenient?

I'd cut it while its green and let it dry.
    You will find that for such a stinky tree, ToH makes about the nicest smelling smoke imaginable, but very strong.

I made my retort out of two square cake pans clamped together ($1 store) and a hollow bolt stuck in the center of the top one for a chimney.
    Not sure that a chimney is necessarily better than just a hole but it seems to me that air would have a harder time getting down a chimney than just through a hole.
    The hollow bolt is a lamp part which is nice because once the smoke stops, you can simply plug it with a sharp dowel or something similar.
    The big BP making thread has all of the answers one could seek on the subject.

Boolit Mold
    The Royal Gunpowder Factory at Waltham Abbey in UK used only Alder Buckthorn (Frangula alnus) for making rifle gunpowder. Willow was used as well, but for making artillery grade powder. They considered that the charcoal, and what it was made from, was the main factor in the eventual quality of the gunpowder.

The wood was cut in the spring and debarked. It was then stacked for over a year to let the sap and moisture dry out. The wood was then packed into metal tubes which were then loaded into a retort and heated to form the charcoal. One of their main concerns was ensuring that grit did not get into the milling process from the charcoal, and were extremely careful in how they stored and processed the wood once it had been de-barked.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast