MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Smith &Wesson 41 Mag cylinder throats?

Smith &Wesson 41 Mag cylinder throats?

Hi,
    I tried searching before posting my query.
    Is there any consensus about cylinder throats and bores in respect to Smith & Wesson 41 Magnums, be they M57 or M58?
    The impression I get is that they tend to be good shooters, but I can't find specific numbers, or how they might have trended over their production since being introduced in 1964.

Thanks for your help!
    Jim

The chamber throats on my S&W Model 57 measure 0.411" uniformly.

Boolit Master

All of my 657's tend to fall in the range of .411. I size to snug fit and all of mine snug fit a .4123.

Thanks for replying.
    Given the reputation for accuracy of both the M57 and the cartridge, my guess is that .411" are the intended norm,..... presumably with a .410" bore (?)

Boolit Buddy
    Unlike others 41 mag throats & bores are pretty much uniform be it handgun or rifle .

Cartridges loaded with 0.411" diameter bullets are a hard fit in my Model 57, and cannot be forced into my Ruger Blackhawk. I use a 0.4095" sizer die made for me by Lathesmith. Bullets so sized work in both the Ruger and the S&W. These are 240 gr cast bullets that are long enough that the bullets enter the chamber throats when ammo is chambered. If you're using shorter bullets, 0.411" diameter may work for you.

41 mag has a .409" groove per SAAMI
    Last edited by rkrcpa; 05-21-2020 at 10:35 PM. Reason: mispoke in original response

Boolit Grand Master

The model 58 in my avatar , dates to early 1969
    Bore .4095"
    Throats ...very uniform .4105" .
    Boolits sized to .410" or .411"
    This revolver is extremely easy to to load for , I believe the consistent .4105" throats and .409 barrel help . For decades I cast boolits and sized them .410" with good results .
    Recently , after purchasing a NOE 413-215-WC mould and a NOE 412-237-SWC(Keith) mould , I have been sizing these to .411" and/or .412" and with properly sized NOE Case Expander Plugs , have been getting even better results ...
    The 41 Magnum in a model 58 is a much more pleasurable experience than the 9mm Luger or 45 Colt and cast boolits .
    Gary
    Loading cast boolits in the 41 Magnum has been a pleasure with no pitfalls
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by boatbum101 View Post
    Unlike others 41 mag throats & bores are pretty much uniform be it handgun or rifle .
    Yes, this is a benefit of the 41 is that over time groove and throat diameters have remained the same over time. There is still normal manufacturing tolerances, but overall they have maintained around .409" to .410" groove and .410" to .411" throats. My own model 57 has .408" groove and .410" throats. I didn't know the SAMMI spec was .409", I always thought it was .410". I guess that explains why you never see anyone complain of a .411" barrel.

Hi Everyone,

My sincere thanks for your expert advice. 44 magnum and 44 special have been favorites of mine since the 1980s. So, the 41 has been overshadowed in my realm.
    But, the 41 was introduced in my birth year. So, an early M57 no dash is sort of an appeal.

But, I want to know as much in advance to decide if this is just a silly idea, or has enough substance (in the form of fine cast boolit accuracy) to make it worth pursuing.

So far, looks good!

Boolit Grand Master

You will not regret purchasing a 41 mag. So far we have bought 41's from near all that were offered. They all are well built and keepers.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.