WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: What is your most accurate 200 gr cast load for a .44 Special.

Boolit Master

What is your most accurate 200 gr cast load for a .44 Special.

I recently cast up about 500 .44, 200gr slugs, Lee 6 cavity, with a roundnose, flat point, with a lube groove. I have new Starline brass, will be shooting it out of a Ruger 5.5" Bisley Blackhawk, that I did a action/trigger job on. I am thinking Unique will be one of my powders, anyone shoot the bullet or a similar one. All replies appreciated.

I use a 220gn SAECO boolit (2nd from R) in all my 44's and they shoot great. Mine is a 4 cavity custom made back about 10 years ago.

I am fortunate to have rifle and revolver that take the same ammo.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master
    Try 7.0 grains of Unique or 5.5 grains of Red Dot. One of these will shoot well.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I've had best results with the SAECO 200 grain flat nose design and 7.5 grs. Herco. MV a bit over 900 fps in 6" barrel. 7 grs. Unique may be worth trying; about the same MV but not quite as accurate as the Herco load for me. I use WW alloy and size to .432" but .431" may be as good or better in some guns. I'm shooting S&W Model 24-3.

Forgot a handload I just tried recently; shows promise and may be more accurate than the Herco load: 6 grs. 231, MV about 860 from 6" M29.
    Last edited by lotech; 05-18-2020 at 08:35 AM.

Hey Koger
    I shoot that slug out of an old model super Balckhawk. My most accurate load is 4.9 gr red dot. It will run at 810fps with 7fps SD. My range is from 50 to 75 yds with same POA and POI. I have won Florida state gold medals with this particular load. The load is position sensitive and 60fps is the difference from powder forward and powder back. Just a heads up.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Grand Master

With the 200 gr cast bullet in 44 SPL I've found Unique to be a bit to slow unless pushed to top end. At medium pressure levels [for the 44 SPL] it doesn't generate enough psi to obturate the cases. That work out okay with revolvers but with your M92 you will probably get blow back into your face because the chamber isn't sealed correctly. If you up the charge so Unique generates enough psi to obturate the case and seal the chamber then the velocity will be too much in the rifle and accuracy suffers.

For best accuracy and performance in both the revolver and rifle with the 200 gr cast bullet in 22 SPL I suggest 5 - 6 gr of Bullseye, Red Dot, WST, 700X.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My experience parallels Larry's.

I use 6 grains of Bullseye, 700X or TiteGroup in the .44 Special and .44-40 and 7 grains in the .44 Magnum. With Red Dot, WST or 452AA it is OK to increase 1/2 grain in .44 Special or .44-40, but I stop there in the older pre-WW2 guns. In the .44 Magnum you can safely go to 8.5 grains of those powders, but it really isn't necessary as the lighter load is accurate and more pleasant to shoot.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Lee 429-208 WC over unique with book loads for 44 SP, but loaded in 44 MAG brass for my wife's Ruger SBH. When given the opportunity, I want to lake my gear to the range and do some ladder loads up to 1000 fps for the wife to shoot. She shoots the 240 SWC at 1250 fps, but I think it would be fun to see her shoot some 'plinking' loads. I will also do some 240 at 1000 fps, just to compare her accuracy with both. She's an ambidextrous shooter out to 100 yards with all of her pistols, starting with the first gun I bought her, a Ruger MKII 4" taper barrel. I was shoot 100 yards so she tried. Man that girl can shoot!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    Lee 200gr .429” @.431” Lee tumble lubed over 5.0gr of Clays. (NOT Universal or International).
    Can be used in either .44mag or .44Spl cases.
    I stumbled across this trying to find a “civilized” load for a 329PD. Very accurate from my M69, to.

I modeled it from my favorite.45acp load of the Lee 200 .452” SWC over 4.3gr of Clays.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GooseGestapo View Post
    Lee 200gr .429” @.431” Lee tumble lubed over 5.0gr of Clays. (NOT Universal or International).
    Can be used in either .44mag or .44Spl cases.
    I stumbled across this trying to find a “civilized” load for a 329PD. Very accurate from my M69, to.

I modeled it from my favorite.45acp load of the Lee 200 .452” SWC over 4.3gr of Clays.
    Have you chrono'd this load?
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

I have a thousand or so of 44-250K loaded over 7.5 grains Unique. That was THE LOAD for me for years. I'll be going to a 200 grain bullet like yours when those run out and either Bullseye, Red Dot, or Promo. 250s at over 900 fps aren't at much fun as they used to be.
    Tony