MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowering the front sight on a SAA.

Boolit Master

Lowering the front sight on a SAA.

I've got a new Pietta Model 1873 revolver that I finally got around to sighting in with my handloads. My 200gr SWC loads are shooting 5 - 6 inches low at about 50 feet, and my 240gr loads are shooting about 3 - 4 inches low. How do you figure how much has to be removed from the front sight to raise the POI up 'X' number of inches? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Could try lowering the powder charge to decrease velocity. The slower the bullet the higher they usually hit.
    East Tennessee

I've regulated sight of several SAA clones for particular loads at fixed distances. I just take a bunch of the preferred ammo and a sharp fine file to the range and start shooting. I take a little off the front sight and shoot again. I repeat this process until the handgun is shooting to point of aim, being careful to maintain the profile of the front sight. Then I'll use some cold blue on the sight, if it's a blued gun, or some black fingernail polish on the sight if it's a nickle plated gun.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I pretty much do it like Fred. I keep records of which loads group the best, which are closest to the point of aim, the one that does both best, take a box or two to the range and a file. There is a mathematical formula for how much to reduce the height of the sight at whatever range, but I prefer the "cut and try" method.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    ...being careful to maintain the profile of the front sight.
    Yeah, that's the part that worries me. Looks like I need to make a trip to Lowe's for the file. Thanks Fred.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

This saves from having to calculate it long hand.

https://www.brownells.com/guntech/si....htm?lid=13093
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

To answer your question, it goes like this. You'll compare two ratios, that of sight height to sight radius against that of POI change to target range. You want to raise your POI by 4 inches at 50 feet, or 600 inches. 4 divided by 600 is 0.006666. Thus, you want to lower your front sight by that fraction of your sight radius.

Say, your sight radius is 7 inches, you’d remove 0.047 inches. Good idea to begin with less and confirm the change by shooting. I’d use a caliper to measure height of sight from the lower barrel surface.

Boolit Master
    Thanks M-Tecs and Nueces. I feel better having a rough idea so as to not get carried away with the file.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I’ve regulated lots of single action front sights. I go to the range. Put a flat file down on a flat surface. Turn the gun upside down so that you are stroking the front sight along the file. Put a stack of targets or playing cards under the rear sight the same thickness as the file. File a little, shoot some. Don’t go to far.

Taking metal off is real easy. Make sure you are holding the front sight square against the file so you get sharp edges.

If you go too far, putting metal back on the front sight isn’t easy, in fact most gunsmiths with tell you easier to replace the barrel.

Great until you want to change your load.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Could try lowering the powder charge to decrease velocity. The slower the bullet the higher they usually hit.
    Can you draw a trajectory comparison picture of that Please....
    The slower the bullet the higher they usually hit.
    I noticed that happened one time at the range with some of my loads.... Never did take the time to figure that out

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GSP7 View Post
    Can you draw a trajectory comparison picture of that Please....

I noticed that happened one time at the range with some of my loads.... Never did take the time to figure that out

The slower load has a longer barrel time so the pistol pivots more before the bullet exists the barrel so while the slower bullet still drops more it will hit higher.

https://revolverguy.com/sight-regula...int-of-impact/

https://www.gunnuts.net/2013/12/09/r...-fast-bullets/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

USSR;
    I have regulated a few fixed sight revolvers. BEFORE you do ANY filing, choose your load, both for performance
    AND accuracy. Think carefully and test seriously, before you commit. Then, realize that our eyes change a bit day to day. I always make a practice of spreading the filing over three range trips with your chosen load.

I have won major matches with fixed sighted revolvers, both smokeless and black powder that were regulated in the manner outlined above.

FWIW,
    Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

Here is the formula I use it usually gets you very close.
    Error in inches X Sight Radius in inches / distance in inches. So 5" x 7" ( estimate of sight radius) = 35 / 600" ( 50' in inches) = .0583 to be removed.

Pick up a fine single cut 6" file and handle. Along with a sheet of 320 grit wet dry sand paper. File in close and the a strip of sand paper backed by the file to finish. Dont try to do this freehand. set the pistol in a padded vise and slowly and carefully work the front slowly. when you set the pistol in the vise use a level across rear sight or inside of frame t set it true, this way you only have to worry about the file being square.

Also when testing darken blue sight as the bright metal will hit to a different point than the dark non reflective surface

Boolit Master
    Guys,

The bullets to be used are 200gr, 225gr, and 240gr. All are relatively light loads (which is what I want), and all that I have tested have a substantially low POI. If I can get the heavier 240gr bullet to hit at POA, I could live with the 200gr bullet shooting a little low.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Vendor Sponsor

I for one would not regulate a Colt SAA or clone with 200gr boolits. Those revolvers were made for a 255gr boolit at roughly 800fps, they should shoot very close to the sights with this load.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Pietta does make the Model 1873 revolver in 44/40 and 44 Mag. For regulating fixed sight guns Dales53 is spot on. "BEFORE you do ANY filing, choose your load, both for performance".

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    DougGuy,

Read this in post 15:
    If I can get the heavier 240gr bullet to hit at POA, I could live with the 200gr bullet shooting a little low.
    Don
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    3 to 4 inches low at 50 feet is awfully low. Sounds like you’ve got your loads worked up. I have found that going home, filing on the sight and going back to the range is a receipt for removing too much metal. I would not look for a formula to determine how much metal to remove. Set your target at 25 yards and file your front sight by putting the file on a flat surface, turn the gun over and stroking the front sight across the file. You can hold the gun square enough if you are careful. When your point of impact starts coming up close to zero, maybe still a little low, go home and put a nice finish on the metal with sandpaper and bluing. Shoot the gun for a while until you are sure you need to remove more metal. Be patient, shoot often, take your time to get it right.

A single action needs to feel right, that includes finding the right load, and then getting it zeroed.

When you take the front sight down, it should become wider in your rear sight notch. You can fine tune your zero by filing the side of the front sight for windage.

Colt’s used to come out of the factory hitting low and left so the owner could file down the front and turn the barrel for zero. One of the Colt’s I bought new actually came with a front sight too short for even a 200 gr. boolit at high velocity. This was unusual, all the other Colt’s I’ve zeroed for myself and my friends came hitting low.

That being said, beware, the market is full of used fixed sight single actions with butchered front sights. I have never regretted filing down a front sight, a gun needs to hit.

I have a dozen Colt’s SAA’s, all shooters and have been shooting them for 40 years. Some of my fixed sighted guns are very accurate and hit at 100 yards and at 25 yards with the same load.

I have won State, local and National awards for competition and actual combat with fixed and adjustable sights, black and smokeless powder.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I for one would not regulate a Colt SAA or clone with 200gr boolits. Those revolvers were made for a 255gr boolit at roughly 800fps, they should shoot very close to the sights with this load.
    Same here, I would not file a front sight for a 200gr load in a 45 colt or a 44 either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast