Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Using a Lee Auto Drum on a Dillon 550

Boolit Grand Master

Using a Lee Auto Drum on a Dillon 550

I plan on loading .40 S&W, and 5.56 on a 550

The .40 will load a mix of lead and jacketed bullets. The 5.56 will be jacketed. I will need to purchase two powder measures as I prefer using a true quick change.

The Lee looks like an economical option if it will work. Any comments or hints would be appreciated. What bits and pieces would I need?

Btw using Dillon dies for the .40, and Lee dies for the 5.56.

Thanks
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    For $40 higher retail and the simplicity and flexibility of the Dillon system I would save up the additional $80 and buy 2 Dillon new measures. Occasionally you will stumble on a used one and save you $20 each.

Some have used the Lee auto disk measure. They’ve discussed it here.

Boolit Master
    I used an autodisk for years on my 550, "upgraded" to autodrum. Very happy with it once it broke in.
    Won't work with the Dillon dies, different attachment method.
    If you really want to use the Dillon dies, just buy a Lee charge die by it's self.
    As you prob know. there is a learning / break in curve on most Lee stuff.
    My 2 autodrums needed flashing on the cast plastic parts cleaned up with emory paper.
    There is a reason it's $35 v/s the $80+ for a Dillon measure.
    I'm willing to futz around a bit for that price diff.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    You will need the short rifle charging die for the .223 and a powder through expansion die for the .40. I have not tried the Auto Drum on my 550 so I don't know if you will need the riser that goes between the charging die and the Auto Drum.

Dillon has their failsafe rod for their measures. The first version was designed to eliminate squibs and the second version was designed to eliminate squibs and for presses with auto advance double charges.

The Lee is designed so that the mechanism must be recocked after a charge is thrown. This can be done manually via a button or automatically via a chain that connects to the ram. You will need to figure out how to connect the chain to a Dillon. OR you can follow the directions that are enclosed to lock the mechanism so that it does not need to be recocked. The choice is yours. If you do the latter you will have to make sure that you look into each case to make sure that powder was thrown only once.

After your loading session you can turn the hopper and shut off the powder flow. If you take the hopper off at this point it is easily emptied. There is still quite a bit of powder in the measure itself so you will have to will need to pull the toolhead in order to empty the measure. This is the same as emptying the Dillon measure.

If you decide to go with the Lee let us know how things work out for you.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are making a ton of ammo on a Dillon 650 or 1050, I would feel safer using the Dillon PM with the safety rod. If the Lee gets stuck up, you are screwed.

I have used a Hornady on my Dillon 550 (cause it throws stick better IMO). I am forced to go rather slow on the 550 as it is ergonomically pitiful placing the case on the right.

SO, you are probably fine if you pay attention on the 550. But if you ever upgrade to something else, I wouldn’t use it without powder cop.

Good luck!

Your Dillon comes with two powder bars, keep the small one set for your pistol loads and the big one with your rifle loads and just swap them out like this. Cost is $0.00.

All you need is another tool head and powder die, the rest will come with the caliber conversion.

I thought the Lee auto drums would be just the ticket so I got three and extra drums so I could leave them set up on three different turrets. Didn't take long to take them off a sell them for half what I payed for them. Stick with the Dillon measure or buy something that works and doesn't leak powder all over the place. Gp

I have used my Lee Auto Drum on my Dillon machines, but I never quite warmed up to it.

But I do use Lee Pro Auto Disk powder measures on my 2 650's and my 2 550's exclusively. I started with Lee reloading presses and equipment many years ago, and I always liked the repeatability and speed of setting up their disk based powder measures.

Once you figure out what sized hole throws the appropriate charge for each powder you use, just note it in your reloading database and you never have to fool with it again. You can also get a micro disk for small powder charges and a double stack kit for large powder charges that the standard set of disks won't cover.

I have 4 Dillon powder measures sitting on the shelf gathering dust. I wanted a measure for each charge bar that Dillon makes (Magnum, Large, Small and Extra Small). They work extremely well. But I never liked the back and forth monkeying with the knob on the charge bar every time I want to change the power charge.

I can't fault the folks who are telling you to use the Dillon powder measures, as they are extremely good pieces of kit. Very accurate, well made and safe.

But I wanted to add my 2 cents worth towards the idea that the Lee Powder measures can work very well on the Dillon presses in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by C.F.Plinker View Post
    The Lee is designed so that the mechanism must be recocked after a charge is thrown. This can be done manually via a button or automatically via a chain that connects to the ram..
    Not so. the fail safe can be disconnected and it will throw a charge with every stroke that has a case in it. That is the way I use mine. No resetting after every stroke.

I have been told a number of times that Dillon pays Lee Precision a Patent Royalty on their powder measures.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    I have been told a number of times that Dillon pays Lee Precision a Patent Royalty on their powder measures.
    The information I have seen is that Lee has the patents on the powder through expansion die and they license this to Dillon (and others?) and that Dillon has patents on the adjustable sliding bar measure which they cross license to Lee for Lee's use on their Auto Disk measure. Has anyone actually seen the actual patents?
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,

I haven't but it certainly would be interesting to see just how much of this actually goes on. I'll bet it's much more than we know.
    I also have to admit that I haven't seen or heard the Dillon Patent reference before. Very interesting indeed.

Boolit Master
    Another interesting question is what happens when the 20 year expiration date on the patent has been reached. Do the powder measures using the rotating cylinder still have patent protection? I have seen Lee's patents on the rotating cone i.e. their Perfect Powder measure and Auto Drum types. Is no one else using that type of design because the Lee patents are still in effect?
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,

Boolit Buddy
    dverna,

The Auto Disk and Auto Drum powder measures will work on the Dillon 550. You will need all the standard Lee parts for the dies and measures. As a matter of course I use the riser with all my Lee auto powder measures and don't know if it is absolutely necessary but it sure makes adjusting the die a lot easier.

Gus Youmans

I used one on the 550 last time I made 9mm

Boolit Buddy
    The Reloaded Dude set up a 550 BL using Lee AutoDrums. The Lee Powder measures all work on a turret or single stage press using the Factory, included, parts to disable/ replace the safety chain. The 550 will double charge with a Dillon powder measure.

Lee furnishes free directions with their powder measures. If you read them you will notice 99% of the problems in the forums came from the operator. Th e big mistake is to not run a hopper of powder thru the Auto Drum to ensure accurate loads. People do all kinds of things to avoid letting the nylon drum be !married to the diecast body using the graphite in a hopper of powder...