Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bigest bone headed mistakes with sixguns.

Boolit Buddy

Bigest bone headed mistakes with sixguns.

Back in the early 2000's I walked into my favorite gun store and in the consignment case was a 4 inch S&W H.D. with a price of $600. I asked about it and was told it came in with original box, the one with the metal corner protectors. The store valued it in about 98% condition with the original coke bottle grips at $1,100 and priced it that way. One of the employes a few days latter was looking at the contents of the box and found a small piece of paper folded up and thought that maybe it was the original bill of sale. However, when unfolded it said C-R $1.75 and he thought UH-OH and took a 357 round and it droped right in the cylinder. The C-R stood for cylinder reamed. It droped the value down to $600. I looked at it and could see no holster ware or any other marks except the normal cylinder ring from some use. I had the money and thought hard about it but at the time I was all about 44 and 41 Mags and passed. A week later when I went to the store it was gone. Not sure if I would have bought it then but it was gone. About a month latter it was back in the case for $600 but this time with rubber grips. Not sure if I told this story before but reading in the current issue of American Handguns there is an article by Mike Venturino about 38 Specials and his two S&W H-D's and it brough back the memory of my dumb mistake. Imagine now having a vintage six gun in this condition. I would have just shot Specials or down loaded 357's. This is by far my worst six gun blunder among many.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Ok, I'll plead to being dumber than a river rock because I don't know what an S&W H D is. Please enlighten me.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Sold a really nice K-38 and Colt Target .38 when I got into semi-autos. A few years ago got back into revolvers....got tired of chasing brass. Really missed that gun. Started looking for replacements and got sticker shock. What a ******* I was.
    Don Verna

Ahhh yes, the one that got away. I'll bet we've all had at least one, and maybe more. Mine would be the S&W Mod. 25 special run that had a non-fluted cylinder chambered in .45 Colt. I saw one in the showcase of a LGS in about '87 or '88, a 6 inch, brand new, and I think the price was about $600. I decided to think about it, went back the next day and it was gone. I had an FFL at the time and phoned my distributor. The saleslady said that there had been some in inventory, but all were gone. Never saw another until about 2008 when I was working security at a big gun show. I spied a used one, a 4 inch. It had been carried a lot as it showed holster wear, but was tight with a good bore. Action was as smooth as silk. I decided to think about it and go back and buy it just before the show closed. It was gone.....and I've never seen another. So, double dumb!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    Ok, I'll plead to being dumber than a river rock because I don't know what an S&W H D is. Please enlighten me.
    HD means Heavy Duty, the early N frame in 38 special. The target sighted version was called the Outdoorsman.

Boolit Buddy
    It came out with special heat treating to handle hot loaded 38 Specials. Law enforcement wanted something more powerfull then standard 38 Special. They were being out guned by the gangsters of the day. Did not last long since the 357 Magnum came along.
    Really neat sixguns made by S&W gunsmiths.

Boolit Grand Master
    My biggest bonehead moves with revolvers was letting the good ones get away from me.

A few of my more memorable ones:
    My first GP-100, blued with a six inch barrel. That is the gun I really learned how to shoot a double action with.
    A Colt New Frontier Buntline Special .22.
    My first Redhawk. 5½" stainless.
    A S&W Model 28 that I traded for a Winchester Model 24 16 ga.

And not a revolver but this was one of stupider moves, I let a second model Colt Woodsman get away.

Now I'm depressed, I'll try to think of some of the smarter purchases I have made to cheer me up.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Not a revolver, but I let a Ruger Red Label slip away from me. Man at a garage sale was asking $600 for it. I kick myself every time I think about it.

Boolit Master

Years back my buddy with a pawnshop had 2 .357 revolvers in the case - A Model 28 S&W That had a silvery grey patina all over with oil soaked and battered wood grips. It locked up tighter than a bank vault and the chambers and barrel were shiny and crisp - $189.99. The other one was a Ruger Security 6 with the same patina and beat up grips, but locked up super tight as well - $179.99. Walked away from both of them and they were gone by the end of the day. This was around 2013-14 time frame. Both 4in.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

When you are talking years back and prices you got to allow for the value of the dollar. The S&W HDs were 38/44s which were N frame 38specials built for hot loadings with heat treated cylinders.
    Many were reamed to 357. The adjustable sight model was the Outdoorsman 38/44. The m27 and 357 pretty well run 38/44s out of business. Cops were toting m19s on K frames, not to much interest in N frame 38sp.

Boolit Master
    I think I may be dumber. Years ago my wife caught me looking at this centerfold, she said; what, do you love that gun? I told her that gun meant nothing to me. A few days later she came home early and caught me on the couch caressing one. $850.00 USFA .45 blue/case hardened 4 3/4” bbl.

Back then an FFL could could just hand you gun and say, come back when you decide if you want to buy it or not.

I decided it didn’t feel right, the hard rubber grips were too thin, the hammer didn’t have any over throw. I didn’t want any other grip material. It felt too tight and it wasn’t a Colt’s so I turned it down.

That gun now lists on Gunbroker for $2500.00.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a 3 1/2 inch 27-2 in the case and traded it for a 45 colt new service. Doh!
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Ruger .357 3 screw. At a garage sale for $200 in early 90's. Sure wish I had bought it.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is another one of mine. Back in the 90's I had a S&W 44 mag Mountain Gun with a Bear engraved on the side plate. I bought it new so it must have been some kind of exclusive. Along came a used Freedom Arms in 41 Mag and I just had to have it so I used the Mountain gun for part of the trade. Big mistake. Hardly used the Freedom Arms. Way to heavy and had a four pound trigger. Had Freedom Arms lighten trigger for $100 and they would not go below three pounds. Then had fireing pin break off. Never dry fired it without snap caps. Back to them for repair. So I sent it down the road. The Mountain Gun had the forged internal parts and not the new MIN ones. No lock and fireing pin mounted on hammer. Kick my self again.

The only one I can remember was around 2007. And of all places it was at Cabelas. Normally you figure they are just selling things at MSRP. But there were two FAL rifles with well worn finishes on the rack in their used gun dept, and they were marked $499. Im not sure about what mfg they were or inch/metric, but you just dont see too may FAL pattern rifles for that price.

At that time I was pretty poor in the cash situation and had to pass on them. I still kick myself for it. Should have just broke down and put them on the credit card. Heck, I could have bought both and probably sold one of them for nearly the cost it would have been to buy both of them.

Louisville gun show some years back. Uncut Webly mark VI with canvass holster and belt. $400 and Mrs. Thumbcocker asking me "Why don't you buy that; you have wanted one forever?" I passed.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    My first centerfire gun was a Colt National Match (before Gold Cups) 45ACP pistol. I think it was made in 1961, and I was the 3rd owner, and got the pistol, a loading bench, and all the Lyman items I needed for casting and reloading for $75. A couple years after college graduation, I wasn't shooting it any more, but was offered full retail book value ($125) against a rifle I liked. I traded. A few years later, the world noticed that model was only made in limited numbers, so the book value increased by roughly ten fold.
    The only other firearm-related thing I bought that increased in value is my copy of "Cooper on Handguns" which cost $5 off the magazine rack when published, but is now selling on E-bay for as much as $125.

Boolit Buddy
    Brother called, said a friend of his had a gun for sale. Wanted $200 for it. Did not have that on me so I passed. Found out later it was a Colt Anaconda, with scope. About 25 years ago.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Bub
    Here is a picture of my 38/44 HD....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0579 (1).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	262401

Boolit Buddy
    My biggest mistake was selling my 586 about 12 years ago. I had to replace it with a 28 and 66.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast