WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bigest bone headed mistakes with sixguns.

Boolit Master

The biggest bone headed 6 gun mistake? That's easy. Nearly Fifty years ago the Neighbor kid had been watching a little to many TV westerns and decided he was going to fast draw his new Single Six. The Revolver discharged before clearing the holster and sent a .22 LR slug the long way threw his calf muscle. Miraculously
    it hit no leg bone before exiting. It then traveled down went threw his shoe and stuck in his big toe. One can only imagine how bad that toe hurt!

Had the opportunity to pick up a 2 inch Diamondback with a po’s name cut on the backstrap. My buddy would have held it for me but I didn’t jump. He didn’t keep it long. I did get a great deal from him though. He had a 6 in New Service in .38 spcl on his table for several shows and I picked it up numerous times until he talked me into it for the expensive price of $340.00.

The one that haunts me till this day was a 1917 S&W at the Huntsville Cabelas store opening weekend. It was in excellent condition and was $600 out the door. I've been back there a few times since and the bargains are few and far between.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus

I pulled in to a mom and pop place to buy a pop one day while working. They had a 44 special 4" target 1954 with a good price and leather. I had just had a warning about guns in the work truck and didn't want to chance another. They would not hold it and when I called back at 5:15 it was gone. i should have bought it and picked it up later, but was in a hurry.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I've made so many mistakes with guns, it'd start me drinking if I revisited them.

The worst was a Springfield 03A3, Remington in real good shape I let go for roughly $120 worth of crap merchandise I wanted at the time.

Sorry, my mind started tumbling and forgot the sixgun part.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Never look back, that’s not the way to go. My Bro is always hacking on me for guns I had years ago. Too facts the military guns from WW2 were a dime a dozen and were sold in barrels like baseball bats. Many of the guns like Colts, S&W revolvers were no big deal when you could buy as many new ones as you wanted. My foul ups were from selling stuff I didn’t have to because I had no interest in them. Colt and S&W service type revolvers, Webleys and all cap & ball revolvers I got my hands on. ( not talking repro either ).

Boolit Master

I let go of a M19 4" P&R with minimal holster wear that had never fired a .357Mag Cartridge.
    And a M25-5 8 3/8" in wooden box.
    Sold both to finance My Kids getting into Cowboy Shooting. Made money on both, but regretted it ever since, 25yrs now.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

I wish I could see the future. If you could go back to 2013 you could Dump $10,000 on H&R and NEF handi rifles, and in 2016 sell them for $40,000 or more. A $125 single shot was suddenly a $500 gun. I'm still bummed about all the missed opportunities with their barrel program. I swear you could send a frame in around 2012-2013 and a barrel was $79 or $100 for two. Now guys want $400 just for the barrels, and chances are they wont even fit the frame!

Boolit Master
    Letting good shooting six guns go is a long lasting regret. Mine include a 3" 65, 3" SP101, 2 GP100 and a couple SBH. Also a 625. Just what was I thinking? Now the ones I buy have issues......

Probably the number one money maker for 20/20 hind sight would be GI issue 1911a1s. Just taking 1970 as example. A new series 70 was $100 in LGS. That would put top condition used one at $75.
    Now a GI issue would be lucky to get you $40 cash. Now look at them parts guns by CMP at $1000
    and really good 1911a1s can bring $2500 easy. When I was a kid a guy had a unfired 1911 from supply depot stateside in WW2. He wanted a Savage 340 22Hornet. He had my dad go with him to do the trading/ dealing. This would have been 58-59. Anyway the Savage was probably $50, the gun shop wouldn’t give him $25 for the 1911 against it. A lot of the WW2 stuff that was worthless is now collectors items.

Selling a nib S&W 66.

Boolit Grand Master
    Had a table at a gun show and was looking around before things opened. Fellow had 3 Colt Pythons and he wanted $600 each. Didn't have the money, even though I knew that was a good buy. They were gone within a half hour of the shows opening.
    Did I tell you about the Colt Ace that a guy had for $400 or the Ruger Stainless semi pistol w/10" bbl for $400!!

Boolit Buddy
    My biggest sixgun mistake was not buying a couple of more Ruger Blackhawks 1n 1955 when I got one with a serial # below 5000 for $87.50. Still have that one though (with the original box)

Boolit Grand Master

My biggest mistake was selling my 8-3/8” 686 no dash and a M25 Mountain Gun in 45 Colt

Boolit Master

Another one for me was the S&W Model 296. Cook's gunshop had them back in 99-2000 time frame and they were not moving at all and they were fairly cheap. If I knew then what I know now about .44 Special I woulda bought at least one. Now they are kind of collectible.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

About 45 yeas ago, I traded a Colt Diamondback for a 1911. How’s that for stupid?

Boolit Man
    A nickel plated Python for $600.

Boolit Master

Another one from MS (not a Wheelgun) was a shop in Orange Grove that had a few M1935 French .32 Longue (Sig P210 lineage) pistols for sale. The guy told me ammo was non existent and it was long before I started handloading. I think he wanted 75-80 bucks each for them?... Now Starline brass sells that case and I am quite a fan of the .32s. I think the ballistics are on par with low end .32 Mag loads.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12