Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheelweights...forget about them?

Boolit Master
    I found nothing on CL so I left a wtb post for lead and linotype.

Had a nice old guy call from an hour North of me. Wanted to give away 35 pounds.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 05-22-2020 at 08:11 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    I found nothing on CL so I left a wtb post for lead and linotype.
    It will work. It just takes time.

Boolit Master
    Not WW lead, but I've found other lead FS on CL, though I haven't bought any, finding better prices and more surety of content from my other sources. Scrap wave solder I've bought at a fairly good price for the tin content, though wire solder goes for more, and pewter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    I have one tire shop that I can get them from my casting and shooting time is nearly nil these days, but I was still getting good amounts of clip on WW. I’d like more stick ons but I’m not complaining, out of the last 2-1/2 5 gal buckets I sorted I ended up with about 1 -1 gal can of steel and zinc weights rest was lead. Now that I’ve moved I have to start working on another source the tire shops here make sinkers with there’s and aren’t to keen on even selling their old weights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A waste of good bullet alloy making sinkers. Get them to swap you for zinc.
    8 or 9 yrs ago they banned the lead ww here. I used to get 100# every month from a local guy, almost all lead based. After the ban, the zinc & steel would be 50%, then 75%, I stopped. It just wasn't worth the $25. Today I trade for or berm mine my alloy.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub
    My grandson works at a tire shop. I asked him if he minded collecting the wheel weights for me. He brought over a few days worth that he and co-worked threw in a bucket. A bucket only 1/3 full netted about 14 lb. of lead. The rest was steel, zinc, or composite.
    It's not the 1st time I've been late to the game.

Boolit Master

I have a couple of tire shops that give me their wheel weights. It is now about 50% lead and 50% trash I throw away. Still better than paying but I hate to think about what is in the bucket.

Man oh man it's enough to make a feller shoot patches.

Moderator Emeritus

In the "Empire State" lead seems to be viewed similarly as highly contagious, fatal diseases and deadly poisons out to get you! Be it "lead remediation" for simple (?) house paints; NO lead in fishing sinkers; and -- most germane here -- NO lead in wheel weights -- I kind of envy residents of other states where it is assumed their citizenry has BRAINS between their respective ears -- cognizant of a zillion items which may have, if not addressed properly, not-so-good consequences.
    That said -- my very last "junk yard" lead purchase was at a petrol station featuring sheet rock buckets at ten dollars, each. Cutting right to the chase, from ~120 pounds total weight, I ended up with six ~ one pound ingots! In addition to a lot of sand, mud, expelled tobacco chew, and ????? -- there were many "composite" weights. A Monro Muffler acquaintance told me these are the ones most used on brand new auto wheels, and are made of too MANY different metals to mention, and resemble an, albeit heavy, plastic in texture. I made an executive decision to NEVER EVER again purchase wheel weights, as I had done with this purchase. After my discovery vis the useless ???? I had purchased, I looked up the NYS lead ban date, to find it was in September, 2010 -- almost ten years ago. "Duh" -- I should have looked this up first, and then known better....

geo

Boolit Master
    Pretty soon it will also be forget about pewter and linotype. They are not making that stuff anymore so the supply is finite. The pewter we find in junk stores is the leavings from estate sales and it's getting harder to find. Most of the linotype went directly to the scrap yards.

Boolit Buddy
    Here in Indiana I got six buckets about 2/3 full each of mixed wheel weights, cigarette butts and tire valve stems about two years ago. I've been slowly sorting them and the mix is about 1/3zinc, 1/3 steel and 1/3 lead and my next smelted ingots from this batch is about 200 pounds after a lot of work but honestly, it was worth it. The material was free and the sorting happened over music and those shiny ingots will be recycled a few times via a shredded rubber bullet trap. I'm also smelting some backstop scrap and that is three times the work for half the net, One five gallon bucket will yeld about 40-50 pounds of clean alloy, a much softer alloy. From a police range and their "green" ammo reduces the lead alloy. Seems nobody is shooting cast or swaged bullets in the police departments anymore. Even the shotgun rounds are "non-toxic". I'm half tempted to sort some of the buckshot pellets that look a little like Saturn. What a mess but again, worth it for the learning experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12