Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Pin gauges/what size do it need?

Pin gauges/what size do it need?

Im looking to get a few pin gauges for my 38/357 and .44mag.
    I dont want to buy a whole set just a few for each caliber that will allow me to determine my cylinder throats of each. So what range would you buy for each? .??? to .???
    Im going to order some from Meyer Gage Co. I think.
    Would 3 or 4 for each caliber be enough? Want to keep cost down.

I bought a whole set of meyers - pin gauges on ebay for less than $100. Shop around. You may find a deal. I always find new uses for them.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I bought a whole set of meyers - pin gauges on ebay for less than $100. Shop around. You may find a deal. I always find new uses for them.
    Ok thanks for the reply.
    On their website they have .0760" to .50099" this would work right? looks like its $14 would be good for .357 and the .44

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    I dont want to buy a whole set just a few for each caliber that will allow me to determine my cylinder throats of each. So what range would you buy for each? .??? to .???
    Want to keep cost down.
    I know exactly where you're coming from but Wheelguns1961 is right, look for a cheap deal on a whole set. It still might be more than you want to spend at the moment but in the long run you'll be glad you did it.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    I think that $14.00 is for each pin gage, not the whole set!

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    I think that $14.00 is for each pin gage, not the whole set!
    lol yeah you might be right. Im a cheap ******* so looking for the least amount to spend is ingrained in me lol But you guys are probably right like always and I should just buy one cry once.
    Last edited by Minerat; 05-17-2020 at 11:18 AM. Reason: lanuguage

My set starts at .251” and ends at .500”

Boolit Master
    I have all sizes from .011 to .500. The .250 to .500 is the most useful. I think I paid around $70 for my .250-.500 set from ENCO, which is now MSC. They are on sale often. Get the whole set. If you do regular gunsmithing or shop work, where measuring hole sizes is needed, the whole set will get used at some point. Buying a group individual pins is cost prohibitive.

Boolit Master
    "I know exactly where you're coming from but Wheelguns1961 is right, look for a cheap deal on a whole set. It still might be more than you want to spend at the moment but in the long run you'll be glad you did it. "

^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A bit of shopping, and you will find you spend less in the long run. Often,, it can take 3-6 pins to figure out a hole size. And if you have more than 2 calibers to tinker with,, a set is MUCH cheaper in the long run.
    Let's say you THINK you need just 3 size pins each for 2 calibers. That's 6 pins,, at about $10-$12 each, plus shipping. Then you discover you need 1-2 additional pins,, and a second order has to be made.
    You just exceeded the cost of a set.
    Or,,, later on,, you decide to add a 3rd caliber to your collection. Now,, you need 3-6 more pins. Again, exceeded the cost of a set.

I bought a set years ago,, thinking initially the same as you,, but knew I had more than 1-3 calibers to play with. I bought a .250-.500 Minus set. Now,, when I open the set,, I have almost 1/2 of the pins unwrapped,,,, and have used them,,,, KNOWING I saved money by buying the set.
    And remember,, not only can you determine throat dimensions,, they can also help determine thread choke.

Bite the bullet so to speak, & buy a set.
    Heck,,, if you want,, you could possibly sell the really odd ones & recoup money on the set too.

Boolit Master

Get the whole set. You can use them for different uses including verifying your micrometer/caliper is calibrated plus revolver cylinder throats, pistol chamber dimension, etc.

Ok ok ok you all got me to change my mine and I'll get the whole set, man peer pressure lol. So what a "minus" set and is there a "plus" set?

You want a minus set.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Minus set! I have several set that go from around .05 to 1". I use them for lots of stuff in my machine shop, not just gun stuff. Guns stuff is just a sideline hobby for me.

Get the whole set that incorporates the sized you will need. You will find lots of uses for accurate pins!

bangerjim

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    My set looks like that, but I bought from Enco or MSC with and discount and shipping coupon and it was around $80 I think, maybe a little more. It's been a while, though.

Boolit Grand Master

For simply measuring cylinder throats I find small hole gages better suited for the occasional user.

https://www.amazon.com/DGOL-Full-Bal...s%2C163&sr=8-6

Pin gage sets come in various grades and steps in addition to plus or minus.

For standard usage ZZ are the most cost effective. Same for size steps. The standard ZZ sets are on .001" increments.

Lots of folks use them to calibrate mics without understanding how the plus or minus works. Using a .500 ZZ class minus gage the true size is .4998". On a plus .500" ZZ class the actual size is .5002". The class will determine the tolerance on the plus or minus however it will never be over size on a plus or undersize on a minus.

With a minus ZZ set and a plus ZZ set you can check a .0004 difference in the best case and .0006" in the worst and with only one set you are limited to .001" steps.

Individual pins and sets can be had in a whatever size sets you want. I have two ZZ set both minus .2515-.5005 and .251-.500 plus some individual pins.

Bottom line is with the .001" increments you really don't have more than a .001" resolution. On a standard .4525 throat your minus .452 (.4518 actual) with go and you .453" (4528") should be a "no go" Yes you can tell if you have a little or a lot of play on the pin but back to my point a mic. and a small hole gage set will work for the average user.

Some basics here:

https://www.meyergage.com/abcs-of-gages/

https://www.meyergage.com/abcs-of-ga...sses-of-gages/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-18-2020 at 01:26 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I agree with just buying a set.

However, if you're needing a few odd sizes, I've used these with no complaints. As said go with minus, that will fit what its marked for. The plus will not.

https://www.travers.com/class-zz/c/299080/

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    Ok ok ok you all got me to change my mine and I'll get the whole set, man peer pressure lol. So what a "minus" set and is there a "plus" set?
    I have bought Meyer Gage pin gages before and they are very reasonable, like $3.95 per pin. I bought them for .355 through .360. Their shipping is reasonable too using USPS small bubble envelope. That price is from their 2019 catalogue.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!