Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to ship 250 pounds of shot???

Boolit Bub

Best way to ship 250 pounds of shot???

I happened across a sweet deal on a MEC 28 gauge press and the guy has "at least 10 bags of shot" size 8 and 9. He wants $10 a bag for the shot. So, what's the best/most economical way to ship all this? I'm assuming multiple boxes would be required. What carrier would be best given the quantity? Lastly, will cardboard work or does it need a wooden crate?
    Lead, brass, and copper are the real precious metals.

Boolit Grand Master
    You can put two bags in USPS Flat Rate box
    Don Verna

That is a GREAT deal on the shot. Congratulations

P.S. Let me know if that’s too much shot for you.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

You may want to ship that lot via truck. I used to work in shipping years ago, don't know now how the rates compare now, but check it out with your local freight hauling companies. If they won't drop-ship to your home you can always just pick it up at their terminal, probably a little cheaper than drop-ship that way.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    USPS priority flat rate box is about the cheapest . Two bags in a medium box cost less than $14 . So that’s $20 for two bags of shot plus $14 or less for the postal charge which equates into $17 or less per bag which is less then half of the best price I can find for shot . I bought a bunch of shot a few months ago from the wife of a gun club member that had passed , I gave her $35 a bag and was glad to get it .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Banned

Wish I could find a deal like that on some shot.

Boolit Master

How far away is it? Is the seller going to want to mess with shipping multiple USPS boxes? Does he sound like the type capable of packing those boxes just right, so they don't break open and spill out on the journey?

Is a road trip out of question?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by djohns28 View Post
    I happened across a sweet deal on a MEC 28 gauge press and the guy has "at least 10 bags of shot" size 8 and 9. He wants $10 a bag for the shot. So, what's the best/most economical way to ship all this? I'm assuming multiple boxes would be required. What carrier would be best given the quantity? Lastly, will cardboard work or does it need a wooden crate?
    As quickly as possible. The medium flat rate box, two bags at a time will probably be the best. I can't remember the last time I've seen even junk shot for that price. Likely 20+ years ago.

Boolit Master
    I was paying $11 a bag for chilled shot in 1985 . Magnum was a dollar more back then so I only shot magnum in the 28 and 410 so I’d save a few dollars LOL’s!
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

If each one can possibly be considered heavy, the Post Office has a good reputation for losing them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Nobody has cautioned you about taping the boxes. You need to wrap each box in fiberglass reinforced tape. If they are not adequately taped the USPS will drop them on the floor until the boxes burst.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Nobody has cautioned you about taping the boxes. You need to wrap each box in fiberglass reinforced tape. If they are not adequately taped the USPS will drop them on the floor until the boxes burst.
    ^^^^^^^This!^^^^^^^

That fiberglass tape is virtually indestructible! I wrap all the lead I ship in this stuff, much better than duct tape!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    The post office rejected a flat rate box for being over taped. The post office employee handed me a piece of paper with the rules on it. Basically you can only tape the seams. They can charge for the weight of something if they deem it over taped. So the person you are shipping to can either reject it or pay the extra postage due. I now double box stuff.
    JM

Boolit Master

Wow, I've never heard of extra charge for "over taping". Usps is the cheapest,fastest, easiest. UPS may require a "business loading dock" or "fork lift". Fiberglass tape, lots of it. I suggest you put yor shot bags in another heavy plastic bag, maybe high quality garbage bag, then tape the crap out of it, then box and tape. good deal btw

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JM7.7x58 View Post
    The post office rejected a flat rate box for being over taped. The post office employee handed me a piece of paper with the rules on it. Basically you can only tape the seams. They can charge for the weight of something if they deem it over taped. So the person you are shipping to can either reject it or pay the extra postage due. I now double box stuff.
    JM
    No they can't. If it fits, it ships. 70 pounds. All postal employees, even custodians, have to be able to lift 70 pounds for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I was paying $11 a bag for chilled shot in 1985 . Magnum was a dollar more back then so I only shot magnum in the 28 and 410 so I’d save a few dollars LOL’s!
    That is $27 in today's money. $12 comes to $29.16. Shot is a bit more than that but not much. Most of the increase in prices is inflation.

Boolit Master

It is not in the USPS rules that Flat rate boxes can't be overtaped, it is a lie regional offices tell. I was told this by my local Post Office, as I ship lead back and forth all the time. They actually DO want the package to get there intact. It wouldn't hurt to put those canvas lead bags inside the USPS Priority Tyvek bags, those are hard to break. Use reinforced tape on the seams and in both other directions so all sides are taped. They will still probably look like round balls by the time you get them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    No they can't. If it fits, it ships. 70 pounds. All postal employees, even custodians, have to be able to lift 70 pounds for that reason.

That is $27 in today's money. $12 comes to $29.16. Shot is a bit more than that but not much. Most of the increase in prices is inflation.
    It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a dolly or cart out there for the mail person either if you are not around when it is delivered.

Just a little bit over $29? Even the bottom of the barrel junk, you won't find under $45. Some have claimed lower, but I've never seen reclaimed much under $40. Most good shot is going to be $48-$50. Many places ask $50-60 per bag.

Boolit Bub
    As a matter of dumb luck, the shipper is close to a facility that I have trucks through fairly frequently. The shipper has agreed to meet a driver and have the driver bring it back. Gonna take a little longer to coordinate that way but at the end of the day will be more secure, better cared for, easier on the shipper, and cheaper. I'm patient lol..
    Lead, brass, and copper are the real precious metals.

Banned
    I learned about smaller carriers when ordering car parts that were heavy. A few years ago I bought some stuff that was in the 100 lb category that shipped for about $18 so I kept using them for the heavy stuff....WAAAAAY cheaper than the big outfits.
    However this company only serviced a small batch of states in the middle of the country...Haven't checked them recently as to what area they service now ...they were expanding their service... If this will go to your area ...check them out.
    You won't be disappointed:
    http://speedeedelivery.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast