Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: 44 Special balloon head case

44 Special balloon head case

Info request-I’m hoping one kind soul has a piece of old balloon head 44 Special brass and would please measure the weight of water filled to the case mouth. Im interested to know the case capacity to run a few loads in Quickload and compare with currently manufactured brass.

Thank you!

Boolit Master

Not even a good plan for several reasons. 1) the brass is old and likely corroded inside 2) it was designed for black powder only 3) catastrophic failure is imminent. If yo have some, it’s only value is the antiquity.

Solid bases brass was designed for more strength and to keep chamber pressures within the chamber, folded head brass ‘balloon’ was made like 22 is is now. In fact, the Henry rifle of 1860 was originally rimfire black powder. Balloon cases were used even when primers became in use but were discontinued due to case corrosion weakening the brass causing failure. BP cases require almost immediate cleaning after discharge.

Lots of folks who shoot BP cartridges have a container of soapy water at the range, well except for breach loaded projectile rifles are used, and a charged case is inserted behind the boolit. In Creedmore matches, one case is used for an entire match. Case fired, chamber blown clear, new projectile seated, primer changed, she’ll inserted, fire, repeat. Good stuff.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

I don't have quickload, but I can tell you that the Elmer Keith loads for heavy 44 Special were 18.5 grains of 2400 in balloon head cases and this was backed off to 17.5 for solid head. Eventually it seems that 17 grains was settled upon as being under 25kpsi in modern brass (which is probably as thick as 44 mag brass). Is that what quickload gets?

I would advise against using balloon head cases for actual reloading.

Boolit Master

I'll have to dig through my 2 pound can of .44 Special brass. I started throwing out the WRA ballon head cases years ago but I'm sure there might be some left.

The WRA cases are not folded head they are solid ballon head design. They were smokeless powder loads. I reloaded some of them a couple times before I noticed they were ballon head so I would crush the case mouth and toss them out as I came across them.

If I can find any I'd be happy to send you a few.

I shot them in my S&W Model 29-2 with countersunk chambers so they were quite safe to fire with standard loads.

Dutch

Boolit Grand Master

Good question, and I too sometimes wonder. As I read the OP he stated, first two words being "Info request" that he wanted info only and I saw no intention of loading and shooting any and wanted info to compare with current manufactured cases (if he had some why would he ask about them?).
    My Anchor is holding fast!

That's right, info only. It is one of the many inputs for the calculation. QuickLoad uses the weight of water in grains right at case mouth overflow to measure case capacity. For this purpose, a resized case is recommended, but I'll take what I can get since they haven't been made in a long time!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Good question, and I too sometimes wonder. As I read the OP he stated, first two words being "Info request" that he wanted info only and I saw no intention of loading and shooting any and wanted info to compare with current manufactured cases (if he had some why would he ask about them?).
    My exact thought. Read better, understand better.

Boolit Master

I find that many on these forums are too quick to reply, not to actually answer what was asked by an OP, but to show everyone else on the board how much they know. It is truly amazing.

Boolit Grand Master

Sometimes a feller just wants to know...
    My Anchor is holding fast!