RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite meat seasoning?

Banned
    Jane’s was a household staple for my mother.

Boolit Master
    Montreal steak seasoning on most meat. If it needs bbq sauce then Kenai BBQ sauce applied after cooking. It can turn a poor piece of meat into a delight.

Alpine Touch

I've been using Alpine Touch since I was a kid. It is more of an all-purpose seasoning. I put it on everything; meat, popcorn, potatoes, garlic toast, veggies, anything that I'd normally put salt on. They have a Hickory Smoke seasoning that I use when I make jerky - it's awesome. They've got a "light" version of their Alpine Touch for those watching their salt intake. We usually do the light version because it contains no MSG which my wife is sensitive to. They are a small, family run business and mostly only distributed to stores locally. In the past few years they've added some additional flavors and been trying to expand their market. Since I no longer live close, we either mail order it or have relatives pick us up some.

https://www.alpinetouch.com/

Boolit Master

For grilled beef I like McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning applied to damp meat and allowed to rest for 20-30 minutes before cooking. They have a good Montreal chicken seasoning as well. Steak cooks best if allowed to reach room temperature before putting it on the grill.

A server in a nice restaurant asked me if I wanted steak sauce with my meal. It wasn’t a cheap steak. I told her it better not need steak sauce. She understood and laughed. Fortunately, I was not disappointed.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=375supermag;4905170]Hi...
    I use Montreal Steak Seasoning.
    Whatever you guys use...use McCormick products. One of my pensions comes from them...help a brother out, guys.[/QUOTE

McCormick's "Mediterranean Spiced Sea Salt" is excellent on chicken or pork. I have not tried it on beef as I like the basic salt and pepper on it. I have tried mixing a little cumin in my kosher salt before sprinkling it over my steaks and that is tasty as well. I have two of them in the fridge on a rack for later today. If you haven't tried putting your steak in a pan on a rack uncovered in the fridge for a few hours before grilling your missing out on getting a really nice crust on the outside. One of the best tricks I've found.

Seasoning is to make low grade meat eatable. Really good meat is ruined with all the stuff people put on it. You are just using the meat as a sponge for spices. Bar BQ is a different story as well as smoking. Those are processes that require sauces and such. Same thing with cured meats like ham and sausages. I’ll go with salt and pepper myself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Seasoning is to make low grade meat eatable. Really good meat is ruined with all the stuff people put on it. You are just using the meat as a sponge for spices. Bar BQ is a different story as well as smoking. Those are processes that require sauces and such. Same thing with cured meats like ham and sausages. I’ll go with salt and pepper myself.
    I'm going to disagree with you on that. Sometimes I like the basic salt and pepper other times I'm doing a meal that a little different flavor lends itself well to. It's all a matter of preference.

Boolit Bub
    Salt and pepper and a Charcoal grill are my favorite seasoning

Moderator Emeritus

Garlic and butter are my main seasonings. Try to keep it simple.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Garlic and butter are my main seasonings. Try to keep it simple.
    For a proper Iowa ribeye, rubbed with butter and some garlic salt, it is heaven!

Out here in the West, the beef needs a little more help.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy

for smoking ribs, I loved the Costco Sweet Mesquite ... no longer available ... wish they would carry it again, or I could find a similar substitute.

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago a girl from Kellog Idaho introduced me to Alpine. She's gone but I will always keep the Alpine.

Seriously y'all need to try this stuff on a grilled rib eye or the like.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hithard View Post
    Years ago a girl from Kellog Idaho introduced me to Alpine. She's gone but I will always keep the Alpine.

Seriously y'all need to try this stuff on a grilled rib eye or the like.
    Went to their website and the nearest place that sells it is 50 miles away, and in the same town as the only place that sells .40 S&W for 50 miles. I'll add it to my shopping list for my next trip down there, which should be next week.

Thanks for the suggestion!
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Johnnys seasoning salt pepper and salt and garlic all you ever need , no iwoa steak is any better then any other states steak raised right , butchered right and prepared right , a little olive oil and sprinkle the spices of your choice , cook how you like , I prefer a fire and a stick , eat while hot .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    Johnnys seasoning salt pepper and salt and garlic all you ever need , no iwoa steak is any better then any other states steak raised right , butchered right and prepared right , a little olive oil and sprinkle the spices of your choice , cook how you like , I prefer a fire and a stick , eat while hot .
    You really like to argue everything, don't you?

There is a huge difference in the taste of beef depending on where they are raised and what they ate. Most beef in the west is free range beef eating crappy weeds and other vegetation. Such beef tastes crappy and is tougher.

Most beef in Iowa is raised on a corn-based diet. Such beef tastes better.

So saying that Iowa beef tastes better than Washington beef is a generally true statement. Geez, stop arguing everything.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    You really like to argue everything, don't you?

There is a huge difference in the taste of beef depending on where they are raised and what they ate. Most beef in the west is free range beef eating crappy weeds and other vegetation. Such beef tastes crappy and is tougher.

Most beef in Iowa is raised on a corn-based diet. Such beef tastes better.

So saying that Iowa beef tastes better than Washington beef is a generally true statement. Geez, stop arguing everything.
    No I stated what is true , you have a attitude and a arrogance , and you want to misquote everything , If you want to post in a forum and make a statement , others have their own opinions and they are just as important .

And the beef on the west side is not free roaming dry land cattle , it is a lot greener over here , and farmers feed them silage and hay also .

By the way Iowa is not the only state feeds corn , and beef that are gaining weight and eating good are more tender then a beef already losing weight .

So get your chip off your shoulder read the post and or maybe post less , or you could start your own site all about you.

Can’t beat plain old garlic powder, but ai like Tony Chachere Creole seasoning

Boolit Buddy
    Cooked 4 Boston butts yesterday for a wedding reception. Nothing but salt and pepper. 12 hours on low heat.
    Nothing better.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Buddy
    I admit that I didn't read every post but I use the kiss method with a twist. Salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder and brown sugar. In a ratio of 20/15/20/10/35 respectively.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    When I lived in Iowa, I fell in love with steak and ribs. Unbelievably good beef and pork out there. A friend of a friend started his own company making seasonings that are incredibly good.

His company is called Corky's Cookout. Never met the owner, but I have used his seasoning since 2005.

I've used Famous Dave's seasoning, and Lowry's, and other popular seasonings I've found in the store, and nothing is as good as Corky's. Just got in another couple of year's worth plus a jar of glaze they gave me for free. Order was $28 delivered. Totally worth it!

Attachment 262252

Attachment 262253

What's your favorite seasoning?
    Idaho45guy I want to thank you for turning me on to Corky's Seasoning. I bought some on a whim after you posted a great review about it and I'm on working on my second 28 oz jar of it. Used to like steak, but now I love steak. Same with hamburgers! This seasoning is absolutely the best!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast