RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hope to go shooting tomorrow

Boolit Master

I hope to go shooting tomorrow

Well, I haven't gone shooting since March 15th. Once all this pandemic garbage hit, we took the warnings seriously. I've been venturing out once a week for groceries, that's pretty much it. My son and I are both fortunate to be able to keep our jobs and work from home, and my daughter is a college student so she's been doing her work online since she came home in March. My wife is a nurse, she has been going to work and back. She only works part time, so basically that's been twice a week. The kids have just stayed home.

We have had some pretty good (I think) protocols in place for when we do leave the house. My wife and I that is, for my grocery run and her work.

Back to the shooting. Both of my clubs are technically open. All organized activities (leagues, clay sports) were shut down, but we were free to use the rifle and pistol ranges at our own risk, and encouraged to use good social distancing, masks, etc. if we did. In spite of this, I didn't go. CDC, Dept. of Health, the Governor, everyone said if it wasn't essential, don't go out. The wife and I agreed that playing with my toys wasn't essential, and we didn't want to risk getting this thing or bringing it into our home.

Well, things are slowly re opening around here. I've decided to test the waters. Here's my plan.

I've loaded up my car with both rifles and handguns. I'll scope out both the rifle and pistol ranges tomorrow. If they're crowded, I'll turn around and try another day. If one or both are empty/ lightly occupied, I'll set myself up away from anyone else and have at it. I'll have my mask, tons of hand sanitizer, and spray disinfectant.

I'm really hopeful I'll get to shoot something tomorrow!

Good for you! I haven’t been since the first week of march, and I am used to going weekly. The range that I belong to is still closed down.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

March 15th?
    Wow, I haven't been since Monday this week, and I'm already starting to get those de-tox type tremors and shakes.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I took several weeks off as well. I finally got out last week.
    I had a very enjoyable time and I even shot well(for me). Seems the time off didn't harm my abilities much.
    I have always been one to practice often. I want my skills to be sharp when I need them. It appears the time I spent in the past has paid off.

I hope you have as much fun as I did.

Boolit Grand Master
    Been out a few times since then.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

Awesome have a great time shooting.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by winger ed. View Post
    march 15th?
    Wow, i haven't been since monday this week, and i'm already starting to get those de-tox type tremors and shakes.

I've only been out four times. As a result, I have a LOT of loaded ammo... Prior to the 'Rona, I was shooting 2-3 pistol matches a month and occasionally doing a 3 gun too. So, I kept my loading regimine and actually picked it up a little.

But, I have my Monday's off for the next month and my local range (finally opened) has rec shooting every Monday and Friday. What they are doing is only allowing people to be in every other bay, masks on, and if the pistol range gets busy, they'll regulate it.

So, I'm gonna fling some lead at the 880 yard target on Monday.

I actually belong to a "shooting club" that never did close down. Just limited use to members and locked the gate. When I went to this range, they have a trap range that generally gets use when they have trap matches (which are cancelled), so I've been setting up my steel on that range and have been having fun with rifles/pistols and shotgun. And nobody else is there...

I actually really like it because I setup a table about 50 yards from my targets with rifle ammo/rifle then another table about 20 yards with pistol/shotgun ammo and shotgun. I holster up, grab the rifle, and time shooting 6 rifle rounds, run to the next table load/shoot the pistol with 6 rounds and then pickup the shotgun and move in on the targets for 6 rounds of birdshot. And try to do it quickly and accurately. It's pretty fun. I think next time, it'll be grab the shotgun and move in until empty and then draw pistol and engage steel while retreating... Hmm...

Last time I went there were a few peeps on the .22 range, 1 guy at the 100 yard range and a few of the "usual suspects" at the pistol range. And then me running around on the trap range...
    Last edited by 44Blam; 05-16-2020 at 10:41 PM.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    March 15th?
    Wow, I haven't been since Monday this week, and I'm already starting to get those de-tox type tremors and shakes.
    I should say, that would be me too. I am fortunate that I live about 5 miles from my main club. Typically I would be there 3,4, maybe more times a week. So two months seems like a lifetime.

The worst part of the whole mess was that with the cancellation of the leagues, I lost out on TWO league banquets in early April (Bullseye Pistol and Wednesday Night Skeet leagues.) As a former fat man who lost a lot of weight, and maintained the loss, these food events are really important to me, and I look forward to them!!

Boolit Master
    I feel for you guys that have not been able to shoot.
    I go twice a week and only missed one week. I get there when they open and me and the guys i shoot with will often be the only ones there at the most 2 other lanes occupied .

Boolit Bub
    Sounds like you have a great plan, enjoy yourself.

My last outing shooting was on the 21st of March...and still no sign of when we will be able to go out doing what we love most......shooting, again. Have made lots of ammo, so are ready and waiting to be let loose!
    Those of you that do go out shooting, enjoy it and think of the rest of us still locked down......

Boolit Master

I am thankful that I live in the country.
    I can go out shooting any time the weather permits.
    The nearest range is 40 miles away which is not too far if I want to do some serious shooting from there covered concrete benches.
    There are a number of rock pits much closer that I can take my portable shooting bench and sight in or do some casual load development.
    Or just go shoot for fun.
    This virus thing has not effected my shooting because there is not ant one out shooting where I go except on the weekends, which I avoid.
    Go shooting when you can folks.
    It is good therapy for those of you stressed by this virus thing.

Boolit Master
    I'm kinda stuck too. Our local range is also closed. I usually go 2 or 3 times a week. Pistol would not be a problem as around here it is easy to find some space to shoot. But, I like to shoot rifle at longer ranges and that is hard to do.

Range was supposed to open Friday, but, the city waffled on it. Now it's supposed to open tomorrow, but, I am not holding my breath Our city council is not very good at communicating so we have to wait for the local newspaper to release anything new. I am getting antsy.

Boolit Master

Well, I went. It was heaven!!! It's strange how much we take for granted.

I got there, and the place was empty. I reasoned that more pistol shooters than rifle shooters would eventually show up, so I elected to shoot pistol first. I had the pistol range to myself the entire time I shot.

By the time I was done shooting pistol, there were about half a dozen on the rifle range. Too many for my comfort. BUT, we have a second rifle range (the "back range), with restricted access. Not everyone has back range authorization, but i do. So, I had that one all to myself. All told, I shot for about 2 1/2 hours .

As to specifics, it was a mix of what I call "business and pleasure." some things I just wanted to shoot, a few things I needed to shoot (check sights, etc.)

I started with my S&W M 27 , ran about 30 .38 wadcutters through it at 50 yds, 1 handed "bullseye" style. That was pleasure. Then I moved the target is to 25 yds and ran 10 .357 factory jacketed rounds through it just to check poi, along with 10 of my .38-44 handloads. I got this gun in January, and it was too cold to do anything but shoot it on the indoor range, which limits us to .38 light loads. It was my first time running heavy stuff through it, and I wanted to see how much the poi changed. Very little if any it turns out. I also ran 10 rds of .45 ACP and .38-45 Clerke through my .45 auto. I had to do an extractor tweak a few months ago and just wanted to test for positive extraction.

On the rifle side, it was mostly pleasure. I ran 20 rounds of my favorite 06 cast load (16 gr 2400, 155 GC Lee) through my 03 Springfield "slung and prone." Then 23 rounds (I know that's an odd number) of am M@ equivalent load through a Garand, also slung and prone. The just a little bit of business, I needed to sight in a scope. My main Highpower gun these days is a Howa 1500 in .223 that I shoot cast in the matches with. Since the Highpower league is sort of suspended, I removed the iron sights and remounted a scope so I could bench some groups this summer, so I took about 14 rounds to get the scope sighted in at 100. The actual group shooting will be another day.

Boolit Master

Our club has been open but all matches cancelled. Just received word that matches can restart May 26 at match directors discretion. Club is in southwestern Ohio.
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I love living in the country ! Step out the back door, set up shooting table, let er rip!!!!!! Except for a bunch of rain, I pretty much can shoot when I want. I’m glad y’all are having a chance to go to your ranges!!! Big range down from me never shut down, but, it’s at a private citizens house, so he can do what he wants to!!! Good luck to y’all
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I'm glad you got out and enjoy yourself , our governor has promised the extend the lockdown more every time there's a protest . So it looks like the beating will continue until morale improves . The panic hasn't slowed me down except for my once a week steak at the restaurant .

At least I can step out back and shoot ...... at least when I don't have work out back to do

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by hermans View Post
    My last outing shooting was on the 21st of March...and still no sign of when we will be able to go out doing what we love most......shooting, again. Have made lots of ammo, so are ready and waiting to be let loose!
    Those of you that do go out shooting, enjoy it and think of the rest of us still locked down......
    A buddy of mine is from SA and he happened to go back to his mom's house JUST before it got locked down... So, he is stuck until they start flying again. He said they banned booze and cigs as part of the shutdown. That is quite a bit rougher than here!
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    A buddy of mine is from SA and he happened to go back to his mom's house JUST before it got locked down... So, he is stuck until they start flying again. He said they banned booze and cigs as part of the shutdown. That is quite a bit rougher than here!
    South Africa? South America?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast