Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: What is the most economical way to acquire a 22LR chambering reamer?

What is the most economical way to acquire a 22LR chambering reamer?

I have a project gun, for which I would like to make a custom, extended barrel, from an off-cut.
    I could, theoretically, cut it on a lathe, but my mini lathe may not be precise enough for that.
    Before I risk ruining the blank, I would like to exhaust the options of doing it with a reamer, but I do not own one. PTG is out of my league at the moment.
    Ideas?

Boolit Grand Master

Purchase one for $53.99. Used it than sell it on ebay for $45.00

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/10...=1101100736028
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I have a project gun, for which I would like to make a custom, extended barrel, from an off-cut.
    I could, theoretically, cut it on a lathe, but my mini lathe may not be precise enough for that.
    Before I risk ruining the blank, I would like to exhaust the options of doing it with a reamer, but I do not own one. PTG is out of my league at the moment.
    Ideas?
    You could make a D-reamer on your mini-lathe, and use it. http://imajeenyus.com/workshop/20150...er/index.shtml

Not the greatest choice for a complex chamber, but doable for a one-time project with a simple profile.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Purchase one for $53.99. Used it than sell it on ebay for $45.00
    22LR is actually 2x that price on Midway, and many of them are on back order. Hence the question. My price overseas is even lower, but $$ are scarce these days.

Boolit Bub
    Try 4d reamer rentals, they might have what you need.

I wish I could! They do not ship o/s of the US.

Boolit Grand Master

22LR is actually 2x that price on Midway, and many of them are on back order. Hence the question. My price overseas is even lower, but $$ are scarce these days.
    When you add it to the cart is shows one left at "PTG Solid Pilot Chamber Finish Reamer 22 Winchester 52D Match
    Qty:" 1$53.99. That only $12 more than renting.

It's a 22 LR match chamber.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    MANSON REAMERS. $50.00 and shipping. He has most of the various 22LR reamers in stock, match, Bentz, barrel, cylinder, etc. I have used his reamers for a long time and have been very satisfied. Good prices and SUPER people to deal with.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

If you have a lathe, get some drill rod and make the reamer. SAAMI has chamber prints that you can get the basics of the reamer print from. You'll want to turn it between centers to get the tapers using a dial test indicator adjust the offset over the area to be turned. Setting up to cut the leade on a 357Max reamer in the pic. Since it's so short it likely could be fluted held in your lathes compound with the pilot end also supported and an endmill in the chuck. Unless you have a tool post grinder polish the reamer down to about .0005" over final size, flute at least .005" below centerline and closer to .007" is better, then harden. Use a stone starting on the heel and work the discolored metal away working towards the cutting edge until the dark line (from the heat treat) under the burr is gone at which point the burr is gone also. Tool post grinder makes it much easier, but they aren't cheap by themselves.

How do you prevent the chuck from spinning on a mini lathe w/o gearhead?

Don't know about mini lathes, I'd be shocked if the mini lathe community hadn't figured out a decent way to lock the spindle though. In the mean time here's a couple good threads on making reamers. http://www.homegunsmith.com/archive/T24986.html and another that will show milling flutes in a reamer using a lathe by holding the reamer blank in the tool holder and using a end mill in the lathe chuck http://www.homegunsmith.com/archive/T24935.html Zeb was working with a much thicker reamer than a 22lr, but the same method would work on a smaller reamer if you supported the reamer blank at both ends. D reamers are much easier to make if an indexer isn't available. I like 6 flutes in reamers, but would likely make a D reamer for a 22 or a 3 flute.
    Last edited by Moleman-; 05-17-2020 at 06:05 PM.

Boolit Master
    How do you prevent the chuck from spinning on a mini lathe w/o gearhead?
    Here's one way: http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/lathe-spindle-lock.html

Indexing unit would let you index something around to cut flutes in it, for example: http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/head...xing-unit.html

A simple indexer that uses the spare change gears to do indexing: http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/first-indexer.html

Bill <--owns operational mini-lathe, Atlas TH42 that needs a bit of rewiring, and a SB Heavy 10L toolroom lathe that needs much restoration.