Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Varmint - repelling boarders load

Varmint - repelling boarders load

I sure this has been brought up before but in looking back a few pages I didn't find it. Opinions please guys. Good idea-bad idea. I've been thinking of buying some larger shot #2 or larger but not quite Buck for varmint-home defense loads. Not only is this type of shot not carried in my local gun shops but buying it and having it shipped is costly. On to my idea. I have on hand, new 3" hulls, Steel powder among others and BPI MG42 wads. BPI Advantages manual has a 1 1/8oz for steel shot load using these components. What if anything would be wrong with loading Crossman copper washed .177 BBs approx. 50 of these weigh 490gr. and fit perfectly in the load, nice crimp. 6000 of these are under $10 (BBs) That would build 120 shells. and be more than I'd ever load for this purpose. Thoughts? Gp
    Last edited by gpidaho; 05-16-2020 at 06:31 PM.

I think anything receiving a face full of BB's at <15 yards would change it's Outlook, Direction, ideas on the meaning of life, etc. Permanently!

I think Ranch Dog loads lead BB's for follow up shots on multiple pigs under his feeder. It kills them all!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Will it work yes. Would it be my first choice no. When steel shot was first mandated in 1991 lots of folks tried this. Two issues the .177 BBs are way harder than actual steel shotshell pellets. This coupled with lack of good wads lead to a lot of scored bores. Due to better wads for both steel and things like heavyshot that may no longer be an issue.

At close range it shouldn't be an issue but steel shot doesn't penetrate nearly as well as lead. That being said I have never actually tested it but I have shot coyotes with heavyshot, lead and steel. Heavyshot is outstanding lead is good and steel not so much.

With the buying panic now everyone is out of stock but if you watch Midway they have Buckshot sales that are normally $69.99 for a case of 250 rounds with free shipping.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Will it work yes. Would it be my first choice no. When steel shot was first mandated in 1991 lots of folks tried this. Two issues the .177 BBs are way harder than actual steel shotshell pellets. This coupled with lack of good wads lead to a lot of scored bores. Due to better wads for both steel and things like heavyshot that may no longer be an issue.

At close range it shouldn't be an issue but steel shot doesn't penetrate nearly as well as lead. That being said I have never actually tested it but I have shot coyotes with heavyshot, lead and steel. Heavyshot is outstanding lead is good and steel not so much.

With the buying panic now everyone is out of stock but if you watch Midway they have Buckshot sales that are normally $69.99 for a case of 250 rounds with free shipping.
    Thanks for the reply. I am aware that buying during times like these can be expensive BUT I just checked around (Midway, Grafs etc.) and not only is the loaded buckshot out of stock, the rounds(military grade) are over $1 each and premium loads $1.40 and up bought in 250 shell lots. I have a lot of buckshot cast up and it's likely a better idea just to use that and not mess too much with things just to be tinkering. Again M-tecs and Randy thanks for your replys. Gp

Personally inside the house I favor birdshot. For one reason, I don't have to worry about a buckshot making it through a wall and killing family members in the next room. My house is 5/8ths sheetrock over plaster and lathe.

Outside, I'd be tempted to go with a larger size cast lead like #1's or even #4's.

That being said, if you have a good wad to protect your barrel. The BB's would work, and would likely be the cheapest option.
    I think if it was me I would be tempted to put a mylar wrap inside the wad just to be super safe. Save your potato chip, dorito's, bags. They are mylar, can easily be cut to go inside a wad. Just gives you one more layer of protection.

Boolit Master
    Potato chip bags? I did not know that. Another reason to stock up on Cheetos!

Boolit Master
    6000 BBs seams like a good reason to get a good BB gun .

Vendor Sponsor

This won't help you develop a handload, but I keep my 500A loaded with 3 rounds of goose loads first before the 00 and eventually a slug or two. 2oz. of shot in high brass inside a dwelling is about as lethal as you can get with the least amount of risk to neighboring property.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Bub
    Should the need ever come about that you needed to shoot an intruder your load may come under scrutiny. Factory loaded shells are not nearly as expensive as lawyer fees.

I would be interested in when density of the .177 bb's. If they are harder, are they denser? It could definitely work for varmints (coons, possums, skunks) at 15 yards. But then again, so will bird shot.
    Lead, brass, and copper are the real precious metals.

Boolit Man
    B.P.I. sells wads called TPS series that will protect your barrel. I have done what you are asking about and close range they are
    ok but not over 15 feet. I make and load my own 00 buck, #4 buck, and #1buck all from LEE molds and water drenched then tumbled with a shot of graphite and they work far better than steel.

Boolit Grand Master

The MG42 wad is designed for steel shot. While airgun steel BB's are harder than regular steel (iron) shot, many people have used them with no trouble.

Now for using them for self defense? I think it is a very bad idea. I would never use steel if I had a choice, I don't even use it on ducks anymore. More specifically to a varmint load, steel, especially airgun BB's have a nasty habit of ricochet. You'll shoot your eye out.

Then the question, is it lethal? It certainly could be to a person within house distances. To a varmint I'm not so sure. Airgun BB's should perform similar to #4 lead shot. Not exactly a heavy hitter to anything other than birds. I would not like to be hit by one, but statistics show bird shot used in self defense is only lethal something like 50% of the time. Far too many continued to fight too. My guess is those statistics are mostly aimed around #8 target loads, and larger shot should be more effective. Nothing lethal to a person is non-lethal on the other side of drywall.

You can use the same components you have, but use lead BB. You have the right idea though. The smaller shot like BB is much safer with neighbors than large 00 buckshot. Even if you shoot through the house, BB won't be lethal past 50 yards.

MSM: Thanks for the comments. My first thoughts on this were that this might make a load that would do for a in house anti bad guy load without the over penetration of OO buck and also, since one would need very few such loads, an inexpensive way to get them built. I have on hand buckshot #4 through OOO and some lead .177 BBs (hate to use these as they are from way back when I was a kid some sixty years ago) in a little canvas sack. After more consideration, I might just order some #2 shot from RotoMetals or just use #4 Buckshot. Chances are pretty good the loads would just be shot at water jugs anyway. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

I'm far from any kind of expert on the subject, but I like Paul Harrels real life experiments on this subject. 4 buck is lethal to a person, is lethal on the other side of drywall, but is not necessarily lethal after a couple of rooms. It beats the heck out of a slug that can go through a bad guy, through a house, and kill your neighbor 200 yards away. From what I've seen of BB lead shot, I don't see why #2 would not serve the purpose well. #2 is a little light for coyote and such, but can certainly kill them at short ranges. It is expensive, but you can order all the course shot sizes at ballistic products as their superbuck brand. In fact you can order anything from B shot, to 0000 buck, all the way to a .500" ball.

I've been trying to get them to sell 1# sample packs of each size, but they don't seem to want to go for it.