WidenersLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: melting pot

Boolit Mold

melting pot

Hey guys does any of this look like it should not go into the pot?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3340.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	262236

Boolit Master
    Nah, melt it all. Just take up space in the attic otherwise.

Do a little research and see what some of that sort of stuff sells for.

Then, go from there.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Maybe save one of those candle holders for when the power goes out.

Boolit Master
    I think I would save some of the neat looking items. After melting most of that, you would still have plenty to meet your needs.

Banned
    I'd research the items in good shape, some are worth a lot of money. then I would keep what you think looks cool (maybe to use later if/when you need it I have some nice pieces displayed in my china cabinet) then smelt the rest.

I like to cast all my pewter into .5 oz boolits for easier alloying and "sweetening the pot"

Boolit Master
    Are you asking whether there non pewter items in your stash, or if there are rare or high value items there?

If it is marked with the word "pewter" or its equivalent in another language, and is modern in form or like commonly found colonial reproductions, then it's a good bet on content and not having collectors value.

In terms of being pewter, the only pieces I see that are not a typical pewter form are the two open work pieces near the front (bases for glassware?) and the right hand platter in the back with the heavily decorated rim. If they are marked as pewter, though, I'd be satisfied with that declaration.

Boolit Grand Master

I would do some research on the nicer looking pieces. They may have more value than you would think. Theres a nice sticky on pewter hallmarks thats worth reading.

Thats a nice pile of pewter!

Boolit Buddy
    One of the beer tankards looks suspect.. Double check that really bright shiny one. uncle mike

Boolit Master
    Teapot in front kinda looks like silver plate, but it’s always hard to tell in photos.

Boolit Mold
    thanks for the reply`s everything melted fine the big platter was silver plate over pewter.
    moma took the tea pot so not sure

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeyu View Post
    thanks for the reply`s everything melted fine the big platter was silver plate over pewter.
    moma took the tea pot so not sure
    I keep the plated stuff seperate now. Had a plated serving platter that had zinc in it recently.

Boolit Master
    Finding someone local who knows pewter is a good thing. i dont come across much of it but I always swing in a local junk shop with any pewter i get. She generally gives me decent prices for some stuff. Had a old plate that I could not find the mark for. She pointed to some pewter on a shelf. We walked over and sure enough most had the same mark. She gave me $40 for a 6" plate and it fit into her collection. A few others shes given me much more than scrap value for. I will say less than 1 0% of what i scrounged over the years was anything "valuable" .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    Finding someone local who knows pewter is a good thing. i dont come across much of it but I always swing in a local junk shop with any pewter i get. She generally gives me decent prices for some stuff. Had a old plate that I could not find the mark for. She pointed to some pewter on a shelf. We walked over and sure enough most had the same mark. She gave me $40 for a 6" plate and it fit into her collection. A few others shes given me much more than scrap value for. I will say less than 1 0% of what i scrounged over the years was anything "valuable" .
    Selling the valuable pieces does make sense. Take the cash and buy the junk stuff for a few bucks a pound.

The pot in the back right and the round bottom bud vase on the far left are both unusual. Only way to know is look up the pieces. find the value. Figure half that for wholesale if you sell it to a local antique place. Little less than retail price if you sell online and are not willing to wait a long time.

Weigh on digital postal scale. Figure at least $7 per pound as tin value. Value of piece if sold is known. I tend to sell to the antique markets even when the tin value and wholesale antique value are close. They make some money, I make as much as the tin is worth and maintain a contact in my network. I let them know the battered stuff they won't buy I will.

I have plenty of tin so I don't mind letting some go for a profit. If I bought for $3 and make $7 I can go out and buy more!

The really black stuff that isn't silver plate is older. Higher lead blackens with age and even good tin pewter will if old enough turn black. So black is generally older. Do not clean and polish! I have a couple of plates that are probably from the early 1800's Things are only worth a modest amount. Small side plates of a common type but still not going into melt pot.

It takes time to look up but in the end it is best way to get full value. It only takes one rare or hard to find piece to net a really good profit. Would stink to find out that coffee pot or bud vase was worth $100 and you melted it for $5 worth of tin.

On the other end if the maker is WEB they are the kmart of pewter companies. Melt away. Just watch out for "weighted" candle sticks they are noted for making. The yak hoof glue they fill them with to make the thin pewter skin feel like a real candle stick is a mess when melted. Have to peal the pewter off and there won't be much. These will be stamped "weighted" because they are not solid pewter.

Also watch out for decorative zinc bits when melting. Sometimes feet, handles or brackets will be soldered on and not be pewter because pewter is too soft and if like some idiot I know you are hitting it with a propane torch to speed up melting you can melt those into the mix and spoil it. I do NOT want to talk about it further.

I have a couple of book shelves in the basement. I put the nice pieces on top because I like them. Too high for the wife to concern herself with my taste in decorations buty I can admire them.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 05-20-2020 at 11:58 AM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

Also watch out for decorative zinc bits when melting. Sometimes feet, handles or brackets will be soldered on and not be pewter because pewter is too soft and if like some idiot I know you are hitting it with a propane torch to speed up melting you can melt those into the mix and spoil it. I do NOT want to talk about it further.

Some experiences are very memorable, huh?
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.