Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading - Case Chamfer tool

Boolit Mold

Reloading - Case Chamfer tool

Howdy all,
    Would anyone know where I might find a (large) case mouth chamfering tool that would work better
    on larger cases like a .45.
    The one I have works, but it's kinda small for doing the OD's of large caliber case mouths.
    Kind of a pain ... and really slows down the process.

I use the lyman hand tools, and am pretty happy with them. In my opinion, they are a little expensive, but seem to last a long time.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master

If you are looking for a hand tools using the 50 BMG stuff might be an option.

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#!c=192
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Lyman Case Prep Multi-Tool...also comes with tips to clean and remove crimp from primer pockets.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

The RCBS VLD chamfer tool does a very nice job of chamfering case mouths and a few light spins does it with aplomb .

Boolit Master
    CH4D up to 37 mm
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    You guys got me looking at the Lyman tool , I have used the little Lee tool for years I like having inside and outside cutters on the same tool to save steps I have used the little Lee tool for decades but my old hands are asking me to find something else. I need to find me a Lyman.

Boolit Master
    I have the Lyman Case Prep Multi Tool and enjoy it. I actually take the bits and chuck them in my cordless drill when I am mass prepping rifle brass.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys.
    Found what I need.

Boolit Master
    got a wilson chamfer tool but i find the little lee tool works better for the 45-70 .

Boolit Master
    Ditto on the little Lee for big cases. It seems to center better on the outside deburring step than the RCBS type.

Boolit Master
    I have been chamfering 45-70 since 1972 with a Forster chamfering tool.
    EDG

Boolit Bub
    The Lee works well for me on the larger cases like this as others have mentioned. But as far as the tool handle itself the Lyman tool you pick up for about $25 that is orange in color and includes a bunch of different heads that go on opposite ends of the tool works VERY well for a hand held tool and is my top pick if you don't have a case prep station. I eventually paid the price for a used RCBS Case prep station and in the end it was well worth the $85-90 I paid for it.

But the Lyman tool with the different ends included is still well worth the $25 just for the pieces it comes with. But none of the tools work well for the inside of the 45 cases since it has the VLD head. The cheap Lee one is what I use for that until I find something better.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Chamfering FYI ... chamfer only new cases and do not cut the rims like a razor. Other than new, take a fish hook and pull the point up on the inside of the case. If not smooth, lightly re-chamfer to remove the burr
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

don't get the RCBS case prep center. The steel chamfer tool is... Well it's beyond useless. You couldn't cut skin on it. I spent the big money for the carbide version, something like $50 for just the one bit. The carbide chamfer tool is best described as butter knife sharp. Useless junk. I've got an old hand camfer/debur combo tool that must be 40 years old that will cut brass like it's not there.

I'm not sure it helps this thread. After everything I've tried, nothing has beat that hand tool for 45 acp. I even made an adapter to put it in a drill press.

Boolit Master
    I once bought a lot of new brass for a .25-06 and it was really beat up at the case mouths. There was a rim of burrs both inside and out.

I expanded the cases at the neck to push all the burr material toward the outside of the neck.
    Then I used my neck turning tools to turn all that burr material off the cases. This left the case mouths smooth enough to easily deburr. Otherwise the 3 prongs of my deburr tool would have just jumped around on the huge burrs.

That little exercise made me prefer once fired brass that originates at indoor ranges. Factory brass from loaded ammo is processed enough to get rid of most of the burrs and firing the rounds also iron some of them out. Back in the golden age of buying brass about 20 to 30 years ago once fired brass was not in such demand and was really cheap compared to new brass of then and today.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    Here is solution for 45-70 through 10 gauge brass shells. Fairly thin blades, so must be a little careful. Not sure where I got mine years ago, but floats back and forth between plumbing supplies tool box and loading bench. Here is one on the interweb.

https://www.amazon.com/Copper-Deburr.../dp/B07X4XVYVJ

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    I've been using the RCBS , L.E. Wilson and Hornady Deluxe ( see midway Link) style inside/outside type combo tools for 50+ years now ...do fine on everything up to 45 cal.
    How big do you need ?
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

There was a poster on here for a while that was making an OS tool for a while. He was in Canada and sent me one and it's done well for me over the years as I was doing a lot of .45/70, .458 Win Mag and .458X2" work at the time. Handy as all get out. Might post in the Swappin' section. Forget who he was now./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast