RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .45 Colt 255 KB, magnum primers, and V N350 for a warm load?

.45 Colt 255 KB, magnum primers, and V N350 for a warm load?

Hi guys. Looking for a warmish load for Bisley Blackhawk. The max that I've found for regular Colt loads is about 11.2 gr. of N350 with I believe regular large pistol loads with a 255 gr. cast, or 250 J bullet at about 1050.

I figure that the magnum primers will give me a bit more velocity with a bit higher pressure and a complete burn. And I was going to go a bit heavier charge at about 13.2 grains. Seems like it should be well within Ruger large frame capability when I compare case volumes and similar loads for .44 mag and .45 Ruger loads. But will it be a good combo for the 255 gr. Keith bullet? Should it be a decent shooter?

Looking for about 1200 fps out of a 7.5" revolver.

Thanks guys.

Boolit Master
    Winchester primers are designed to properly ignite double base powders, even the spherical/ball powders with a graphite coating. Magnum primers may need as much as a 10% reduction in max powder charge. At least that's what Elmer wrote many years ago.

Boolit Master
    Norske is spot on, magnum primers make a huge difference in pressures. I always loaded the 255 KT bullet with Unique, and it always performed very well. Never saw any reason to change from what old Elmer used. On that thought, I have been Powder Coating some of them lately, 2 coats, for a buddy to shoot thru a AR in 450 caliber, I forget the name. My slugs weigh 265 before sizing and lubing, I have not weighed the PC one yet. I am going to try them soon thru my Blackhawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Winchester primers are designed to properly ignite double base powders, even the spherical/ball powders with a graphite coating. Magnum primers may need as much as a 10% reduction in max powder charge. At least that's what Elmer wrote many years ago.
    Should have mentioned that I'm using CCI. Not sure if they are as hot as Winchester. Figured for non precision work the magnum primers would be "free horsepower". I figure that for the heavy loads that the magnums would be more suited for the task as well.

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Norske is spot on, magnum primers make a huge difference in pressures. I always loaded the 255 KT bullet with Unique, and it always performed very well. Never saw any reason to change from what old Elmer used. On that thought, I have been Powder Coating some of them lately, 2 coats, for a buddy to shoot thru a AR in 450 caliber, I forget the name. My slugs weigh 265 before sizing and lubing, I have not weighed the PC one yet. I am going to try them soon thru my Blackhawk.
    Hard to get ahold of some preferred powders these days. I was kind of hoping that someone with Quickload would chime in on what the estimated pressures would be.

.450 Bushmaster.

Went ahead and figured "what the heck". The 11.2 gr. load is probably less than 15 000 copper units, and hot loads can be twice that. Did a little extrapolating, and figured that I wasn't going to come close to doubling it, and should still be under max pressure for an 18 BN boolit.

Loaded 13.2 gr. into about 80. If I'm a bit high maybe I'll see some leading, but I think it should be about what I'm after. And it is only 80, so not a huge commitment....

Boolit Master
    I've had misfires/hangfires with CCI primers and hard to ignite powders. When I pulled the bullet and poured the powder in the trash, then whacked the case mouth against my hand, I got a piece of charcoal about the size of a hat pin head. The burn had started, but was too weak to finish.
    Since that experience, I use nothing but Winchester primers with double base powders, especially graphite-coated ones. I've had no problems since.

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    I've had misfires/hangfires with CCI primers and hard to ignite powders. When I pulled the bullet and poured the powder in the trash, then whacked the case mouth against my hand, I got a piece of charcoal about the size of a hat pin head. The burn had started, but was too weak to finish.
    Since that experience, I use nothing but Winchester primers with double base powders, especially graphite-coated ones. I've had no problems since.
    Never heard bad about CCI before, and just buy all CCI for consistency's sake.

Could be wrong, but that sounds like a contaminated or wet powder?

I did have failure to ignite once, actually several in a row, when I didn't dry out my cases well enough after cleaning them.

Boolit Master
    X2 on CCI primers. I have had them fizzle like mentioned, and got some so hard, that a extra strong #26 firing pin spring, on a Mauser rifle, would not dent them. I had worked up some loads, for several different calibers, .308, 7x57, 8x57, about 100 rounds each, and had the same issue with all 3 guns. I called CCI, and they said send them in, they would replace, them, it just happens from time to time. I told them don't bother. I pulled all the bullet and powder, deprimed the brass. I poured all of them into a bucket of water, then dumped them in a hole I had dug. I have never used one since, nearly 30 years ago, and for all my shooting, Winchester is my go to primers, second is Federal or Remington. 40 years of reloading, and have only had issues with CCI primers, no one elses.

Anybody happen to have Quickload, or something similar that could tell me what 1340 fps equals for pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
    Never heard bad about CCI before, and just buy all CCI for consistency's sake.

Could be wrong, but that sounds like a contaminated or wet powder?

I did have failure to ignite once, actually several in a row, when I didn't dry out my cases well enough after cleaning them.
    Well, that seems more of a slight on "hard to ignite powders." I stopped using "hard to ignite powders" and don't have a problem using CCI primers with good powders.