Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ever get your stolen guns back??

Boolit Buddy
    in the late 70's had a colt peacemaker stolen and a coustom 6.5 X308 rifle with a HK Winland special made brl with a 1-11 1/2 inch twist along with some other guns. The sheriff dept called me about a month late and had recovered some of the guns along with the rifle which they described to a tee. I went to pick them up the next day and low and behold the rifle had come up missing. Come to find out a year later one of the officers was cought selling guns out of the property room. "honest cops"!! Never did find the colt or the rifle.

Boolit Master

Another common theme , cops are not always trustworthy , and plea deals , I had some stolen , police plea dealed the low life on drug charges there and I have not gotten them back , serial number and description .

No vehicles involved as that is asking for it to be stolen , car prowling seems to be almost a new olympic sport , and family members and their friends can be the main ones if they have addictions .

Work sometimes with a low life trash liberal , brags about stealing a ruger mark2 stainless from a summer cabin in alaska when he was young , claims they put it back , I think as he describes the gun he still has it , trash is trash .

Well serial numbers photos and safes are all good , but it is society that has no moral compass and its anti gun attitude , as they blame guns instead the real issues that have become the norm in our country today .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    Another common theme , cops are not always trustworthy , and plea deals , I had some stolen , police plea dealed the low life on drug charges there and I have not gotten them back ,......... .
    Police don't make plea agreements, prosecutors do. Put the blame where it belongs.

Boolit Master

No police did not pursue it as they busted him for dope , blame is where it belongs , prosecutor is as anti gun as police .

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    he had a sack of weed and they busted him for that. Let him off from a felony theft to give him a 100 dollar fine and probation!!
    That's pretty common.

They didn't want the expense of keeping him in jail, and with the $100 fine- the local govt. got to keep it.

Rather than the expense of keeping a non-violent offender in jail, they made a few bucks.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    No police did not pursue it as they busted him for dope , blame is where it belongs , prosecutor is as anti gun as police .
    He likely got more time for the drug charge than he would for the larceny. And if the guns were already gone (like traded for drugs??) then the drug charge is a stronger charge anyway. And they can't return guns to the owner if the guns are gone. The drug charge may have been their best shot and not actually a bad plea agreement.

Boolit Master

Why not hang them for both is my thought , I do understand the plea arrangements , it saves a lot of prosecution time and money , it is a matter of priorities .
    I live in a state where the Governor hates firearms except for the ruling class and their security , same for Attorney General and most of the densely populated Puget Sound area , even the east side of the states bigger cities are turning or have turned lib.

Banned
    Why not hang them for both is my thought , I do understand the plea arrangements , it saves a lot of prosecution time and money , it is a matter of priorities . .........
    You answered your own question. Plea agreements often do save time and money. Plea agreements also offer certainty. The old proverb that "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" applies to plea agreements. The outcome of a trial is not a certain thing, even when the state possesses strong evidence. With a plea agreement the prosecution is guaranteed a conviction and the defendant often knows what his fate will be. Both sides gain some certainty as to the outcome.
    There's also the risk verses benefit decision of a trial. Adding a larceny charge to a drug charge isn't likely to increase the total sentence if the defendant is found guilty and you run the risk of a not guilty verdict in which the prosecution has lost everything.

It sounds like in your case the police found the person responsible for the larceny but didn't recover the guns. That is very common when illegal drugs are involved. The stolen guns (or jewelry, or tools, or cash, or whatever) is almost instantly sold/traded for drugs. Once that stolen property is in the criminal network it is nearly untraceable. So the drug charge may have been the best bet to secure some justice. It's sort of like knowing Al Capone kills people but prosecuting him for tax evasion because that's your stronger case.

As for the political climate of your state, I'm in the same boat. Virginia was once a great place but the liberals have gained control and are destroying our state. Like a lot of states, we have densely populated urban areas that control the tone of the government.

Boolit Buddy
    Had a Colt 45 LW Commander stolen in 1982 in Marietta, Ga. Shopping center had so many break ins, PD had a precinct there. I renew the police report for the PD every year to keep it in computer. Reading about some of these recoveries does give me hope.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234