MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ever get your stolen guns back??

Ever get your stolen guns back??

I was just reading a post about having to go to check with the PD to get your gun back after it was recovered from a theft. I had 3 guns stolen in 2 separate instances, and actually got 2 of them back after the police in another town found what was left of the man/woman team of robbers. It took a while but I did get them back. The other one is still gone. Has anyone here been as fortunate to get theirs back- in shootable condition?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    My daughter had 20 or so stolen in east Texas about 5 years ago. They've gotten 5 or 6 back. One from Ohio. The SO gave them back within a couple days of receiving them. Still looking for the rest.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master

No , and local police are little to no help , this state is pretty far left and just the fact you own firearms is looked down on by most officers I have had dealings with . Why would you have that is the statement they make .

And they are pretty quick to take them from people and loathe to return them , have known several people who just let them keep their lawful property as it would have cost more in attorney fees to get them back with all the conditions and attitude they got dealing with local law enforcement .

Receipts for the firearm to prove you were the owner , and if you can get the batf to look up the purchase in the out of business repository for bound books , only police can ask for that so that ended getting that rifle back.

Boolit Master
    In my local area in Texas, the police notify owners who then get their property back. No hassle.

My daughter got her Taurus 85 back after about 2 years.

Boolit Master

No, stolen when in the shippers hands.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master
    Nope, not in my case. Might not help that I had been out of state (and country) for several years before the theft was "discovered." Lost all my long guns from the supposedly safe storage company because the movers "put them in the office for safekeeping, and it got burgled that night." And not reported until it was time for my goods to come back out of storage. A T/C Hawken in .50 cal, a 1903/A3 Springfield, an Agawam Arms .22lr single-shot levergun, the first firearm I'd ever owned myself, my Christmas present in 1970. There were a couple others there that I don't even remember, anymore. Somewhere, I may still have the moving paperwork that lists the weapons and serial numbers, but I've not seen it in about 24 years. My brother gave me the Hawken, and he still remembers the serial number.

Well, yes... of course, the police weren't involved.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    No, stolen when in the shippers hands.
    I feel ya! USAF, myself. Left Shaw AFB, Sumter SC, for Lindsey AS, Wiesbaden, Germany. Never saw them again. Got less than $500 for "compensation" from Uncle Sam. Couldn't replace them for that even then.

I've had 2 stolen, never got them back.
    A real nice Marlin 39 and a M1 carbine made by Rockola in perfect condition.

A buddy had a few stolen once. He got one rifle back.
    It was recovered in Houston, and shipped by the Police back to Dallas where they called and he went & picked it up.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 05-16-2020 at 03:53 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I have a Glenfield Model 60 that my mother gave me as a Christmas present that’s still floating around out there, along with a 7.35 Carcano. You can probably guess which one I would like to have back I got robbed in that same rental house twice but they caught they guys the first time and I got all my guns back.

I also lost a curricular saw, saber saw and drill that were also childhood gifts. They were older models that were all metal so I hated to lose them as well.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

Yes i had a derringer stolen from a X girlfriend 15 years went by got a call from the police department that they found it in a crack house in Chicago so i went down and picked it up at my local police station they handed me my gun i put it in my pocket thanked them and left
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still missing a blued ruger mark2 with the short 4inch? skinny barrel somebody stole out of my truck in college. Gift from my dad. Worst part is I've had a bunch of them over the years and it was the best shooter I ever owned. I probably got one that shoots just as good but I can't see like I did back then!! Lol!

Boolit Master
    Military for 20 years and never risked shipping guns. I'd load them up in the car/truck/trailer with the wife and kids. I watched movers mark boxes that had guns in them. You can guess why they would do that.

In-laws had some guns stolen and never got them back. Never got any money from insurance for them either.

The only sure way you get your money back (if you don't get the guns) is to have itemized property insurance. It is quite expensive and you have to get a certified appraisal to be listed for each weapon with the insurance company.

Boolit Grand Master

Nope, had several stolen a number of years ago and they remained gone. Small state but none turned up. Filed a claim with the insurance guy for those and some tools and stuff. When he came to do the paperwork in person I ended up selling him a Sig P239
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Military for 20 years and never risked shipping guns. I'd load them up in the car/truck/trailer with the wife and kids. I watched movers mark boxes that had guns in them. You can guess why they would do that.

In-laws had some guns stolen and never got them back. Never got any money from insurance for them either.

The only sure way you get your money back (if you don't get the guns) is to have itemized property insurance. It is quite expensive and you have to get a certified appraisal to be listed for each weapon with the insurance company.
    Can't do that if you're going overseas, unless you can take some leave beforehand and take them someplace safe. I couldn't. Long drive from SC to CO and back, and no leave left so soon after getting back from Desert Storm. Only thing I didn't lose in that deal was the Stevens Favorite that had been my dads. Left it with him so my youngest sisters could learn to shoot with it on my way to South Carolina. Got it back after I got back from Germany, so shot out it's not usable anymore. And I'm not sure the sisters actually got to shoot it.

During my LEO career I probably have handled several hundred stolen firearms. Most law enforcement officers will run a check on all guns they encounter in their day to day work. You will be surprised on how many gun owners will not take the time to make a list of their firearms with make & model number. Caliber and serial number and keep that list in a safe place to provide law enforcement in the event they have a stolen gun. Of those several hundred I felt were stolen, less then 5 % were listed as stolen.
    I hit a drug dealer one time with a search warrant and encountered 32 guns piled up in a corner in the house. I knew all of them were stolen as I had information the drug dealer was accepting stolen guns in payment for drugs. then he would take the guns to the Bay area and sell them off to a person that dealt in stolen guns.
    Of those 32 guns, only 4 came back as stolen on a computer check and those owners got their guns back. If you fail to make out a list, you can just forget any chance of getting the gun or guns back.
    I had one case where the burglars stole the victim's gun safe and about 15 guns that were inside. He had prepared a list of all his firearms and that list was inside the safe with the guns. No help there.
    If you are too lazy to make out a list, do not blame law enforcement for not having any chance of getting your stolen gun back, blame that guy staring back at you in the mirror.

Thankfully no, but I do have a notebook with a list of everything; make, model, s/n and any accessories/optics that’s are on them. My scumbag cousin stole a pistol from his stepfather years ago and got busted with it, chose not to press charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No theft here thankfully. I keep a list in my wallet and one in a notebook. I also can remember a few, my 30-30 winchester and my carry gun.

I have complete lists.... WITH PICTURES! It's so easy to do with a cell phone. Its not like you have to go get the film developed! But knock on wood, never had any stolen.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast