WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman Tru line press handle

Boolit Bub

Lyman Tru line press handle

New guy here, just picked up a later model tru-line press (compound linkage) that's missing a handle. Price was decent enough with advertised 38/357 dies. It turned out that the dies were a mix of two 38/357 dies (sizer/decapper & expander) and two 30-06 dies (sizer/decapper, bullet seater & shell holder). Anyway, can someone tell me the length of the tru-line press handle and I'll make my own. BTW are the 7/8"-14 die plates still around? I haven't seen one offered for sale in a long time.

Boolit Buddy
    You don't need to be exact on handle length,but you could probably look at a complete press on EBay, and use the height of the press in contrast to the length of the handle to build one .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firearm-lyman-tru-line-jr-reloading_373_c2b52d03f730b18c35172080fdf47b9c.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	262205

Boolit Grand Master

First of all it's 1/2" steel rod and you can turn or buy a turned ball for the top. Make it any length you want, with whatever bend you want, You will want to cut a circle or drill a hole (bent handle) for the locking bolt at the base. eBay is your best source for dies. I think Lyman has a few 45 Colt dies left that they are selling, I'm not sure what else. You will need J-type shell holders as well. They use the same numbering system as Lyman's X-type shell holders.

I assume you are used to progressive loaders. This does not use a shell plate but shell holders. One cartridge at a time. I hope you have shell holders for the cartridges you have dies for? The 38/357 shell holder and the 30-06 shell holder are common and frequently found on eBay if not. The 30-06 is obviously useful for that whole class of cartridges.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replies. I have a couple sets of Lyman 310 dies (38/357 & 45 Colt) just don't have the J-type shell holders to go with them. I see the #1 J-type shell holder all the time on ebay, the #11 seems to be more elusive to find. I plan on loading just the 38 Spl. and 45 Colt for my conversion revolvers ('51 Navy & 3rd Model Dragoon). I already reload on a RCBS JR3 single stage, just thought it would fun using an old turret press for the couple of boxes that I reload at a time.

Boolit Grand Master

It is, I have several of them. Put a handle on one, forgot to put the cut for the locking bolt the first time, that's why I mentioned it. I turned my own ball but they are easily available at craft stores or eBay.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Master

The handle is just under 10 1/2 inches total. Be careful of going longer as you get leverage that is greater than the press can take. The 7/8 " tops are nice, but it is still a pistol,neck size only press. There is a 310 swap sheet forum on this site. I'm sure you can round up all the stuff you need. good luck

Boolit Buddy
    I figure an old tire iron would be good to make a handle from

Boolit Grand Master

You need 1/2" round to go into the boss on the press. If you have that you are good to go.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Bub
    I'll remember the hole for the locking bolt when I make the handle, thanks for the tip. I think I may go the j to x adapter route so I can use existing shell holders.

Lyman still sells an adapter for the Tru Line JR press that allows you to use modern shell holders.
    I have one for my presses. I haven't tried to prime with them though so I can't say for sure if that works. I prime off the press.
    On the 7/8's" turrets, I thought about getting one, they turn up on Ebay now and then, I decided I'd not get one. This handy little press wasn't really built to do more than neck size cases and F/L size some pistol cases.
    With the 7/8's" turret I might be tempted to try something more stressful with it.
    I think if you want a turret press for using 7/8's " dies , you should get one that was designed for them. Lyman sold a Spartan Turret press.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    The shell holder adaptor will be fine with your 38 and 45 plan... you lose a little bit of throw length with the resulting taller shell holder assembly but it’s not a problem with pistol length cases and really only becomes noticeable with longer rifle cartridges. BTW, you shouldn’t have a problem with J-type shell holders though...the 38 takes a #1 and the 45 ACP takes a #2 (or is it the way around??) and these are the two most commonly seen for sale. The 45 Colt is only a little bit harder to find, and if you carry an empty case with you to a shop or gun show you might also find a #14 B could possibly fit.

There is one pair of priming posts for the J- type shell holders and another pair (called “Special-T” posts) for use with the adaptor and later style shell holders, so be sure you get the right ones for your setup. The little TruLine Jr provides a pretty good level of sensitivity for on-press priming, but I still prefer hand priming, and the 310 tool works very well for that step. I’ve never really been totally at ease withany priming on a press, but I guess that’s just me. YMMV!

Some sets of dies made specifically for pistol rounds in the TL Jr have a full length sizing die, which works OK if only a little sizing is needed, but there was also a hammer type die available if your brass requires much sizing. Since you’ll be loading each cartridge for a single revolver, you probably won’t have to track down either one. Neck sizing works the brass less anyway.

Best of luck with your project, one that many of us have done with great satisfaction, and by all means let us know how it goes for you.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I had two or three with out handles.
    Bought a set of small pool balls from the shop by the bay.
    9=9mm , 8=38 and 7=357 set ups.
    Drilled 7/16" hole and epoxied onto 7/16" piece of steel rod from Home Depot with end roughened up.
    Turned groove in end that goes into press for holding set screw.
    Held pool ball between two wood blocks with 1" hole drill in face, centered and drilled.
    Blued steel rod sections in furnace before the epoxy.
    I could turn and mill 7/8" die fixture but the press is fine with the 310/Tru Line dies for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Year ago when I started with the TrueLine Jr I ordered and got a package from Lyman labeled Special T - but had the standard primer seater in it. I started looking for J type shell holders.
    Wayne the Shrink

Boolit Bub
    I've got a shell holder adapter on the way, not going to mess with swapping out the J style holders. I'm going to pick up a steel rod for the handle next time I go into town. Since I hand prime, I won't be using the press priming system.

Boolit Bub
    A friend dropped off his Lyman T mag turret press to play with while he's in Alaska for the next year. So I think I'm set for a while on presses to keep me busy.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    FYI - as far as shell holders go for your Tru-line - I had one of these presses as I also use the 310 hand tongs - I sold my tru-line as I didn't use it very often. Anyway - you can buy a universal J shell holder adapter 0 looks just like the individual shell holders and it allows you to use standard shell holders like you would on any modern press - a lot cheaper than trying to buy the J shell holders in the sizes you need. A member here made me aware of the adapters and I put a WTB in the WTS/WTS section here and was able to find one - or possibly look on fleabay.

Boolit Bub
    Is the universal J shell holder 0 adapter the same one as the J to X adapter? I wasn't aware of it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    FYI - as far as shell holders go for your Tru-line - I had one of these presses as I also use the 310 hand tongs - I sold my tru-line as I didn't use it very often. Anyway - you can buy a universal J shell holder adapter 0 looks just like the individual shell holders and it allows you to use standard shell holders like you would on any modern press - a lot cheaper than trying to buy the J shell holders in the sizes you need. A member here made me aware of the adapters and I put a WTB in the WTS/WTS section here and was able to find one - or possibly look on fleabay.
    these are available from Lyman last time I looked, pricey, but you'll get it in a few days

Boolit Bub
    I have one on order from Lyman, it's on backorder. Apparently when everyone got put on lockdown from Covid19, everyone and their brother decided it was time to get back into reloading. Lyman and RCBS reps have told me things have been crazy for them trying to fill orders. The customer service rep at RCBS told me they had customers going up in their attics and dusting off reloading equipment and calling them for parts. Fun times...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sackettboys View Post
    I have one on order from Lyman, it's on backorder. Apparently when everyone got put on lockdown from Covid19, everyone and their brother decided it was time to get back into reloading. Lyman and RCBS reps have told me things have been crazy for them trying to fill orders. The customer service rep at RCBS told me they had customers going up in their attics and dusting off reloading equipment and calling them for parts. Fun times...
    It just goes to show, even these bad times have some good hidden amongst the bad!

Dale53

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast