Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Labradar chronograph experience?

I cut a piece off a aluminum arrow and taped it in the sight groove ,works perfect . A dab of epoxy would permanately set in place.

I like the plastic straw idea.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    I like the plastic straw idea.
    Getting excited -- I just got the "We're getting your order ready" email from MidwayUSA -- and from what I've read/heard/been told thus far, the plastic drinking straw makes a lot of sense. Thank you! After someone (named George?) shot a chronograph sensor, I started using a 24" length of plastic pipe to view through as a "sighter" for my 35P Oehler. I had bought the up-grade where it is all together on an aluminum 4' frame; and, the plastic pipe is the "cat's meow" (albeit it was a PACT part which moved just as I pulled the trigger in my bullet's path ). Thank you!
    geo

Boolit Master
    george....i use the 2nd tripod for my crony ......i set the framed paper tripod 15 feet away ....it has a 1' red sticker in its center.
    at 15 feet i put 3 rounds on the red dot just to make sure of were the gun is gonna hit at 15 feet.

then i put the tripod with the chony on it in front of the tripod with the paper frame. this is to insure that i won't blow holes in my chrony.

that why the 2 tripods and when one blows over ....they usually both do.....but with 20 pounds of weight on the 2 of them they stay pretty stable.

Moderator Emeritus

mozeppa -- makes sense, now that you explained it -- Thanks!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    It looks like a good product.
    I've seen a few at the range.
    I'm hoping someone is working on making it smaller and cheaper.

Moderator Emeritus

Labradar update: Three-fold, 1st - with pretty much "everything" seeming ever so slowed down both from supply shortages and the Pandemic affects -- USPS delivered my LabRadar yesterday -- four days from my order to MidwayUSA! Second, all I ordered was in box; intact; and appeared to be OK -- no shipping damage . I noted NO SD card was in the box -- kind of a remembrance to the night-before-Christmas expletive-preceding search for batteries for kids' toys, many years back -- but, I have a couple SD cards I saved from an old Kodak digital camera, which work -- whew! Annnd, the #3 is I made a quick trip to a range, set it up, and fired a few .22 (pistol) l.r., and a few .45 Colt's -- both working quite dandily.
    ALL I did was set up the LabRadar, turn it on; used a length of soda-straw to "aim" at ~52 foot target -- and shot away. Yippee yippee -- it seems to work, right out of box!
    My next trip to range with it, God willing, I will be a tad more "sophisticated", typing in bullet weights and the like, as well as recording Series (what each is) on paper.
    All in all -- I'm both impressed, and quite happy with the unit! (As a side-note, I noted it is not made too far from my location -- "Three Rivers" (Trois-Rivière) is less than 90 miles from Montreal, in Province Quebec -- with me being roughly the same distance, albeit "the other way".)
    I thought I'd share an update on this purchase/use.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

There have been multiple firmware updates over time. Might want to see what yours shipped with. That being said I’m not running the most recent version. Haven’t had any issues and don’t want any that inevitably pop up when updating firmware.

Boolit Bub
    Using the app on your phone is a lot easier.

There are 2 trigger settings sound and doppler.

For airguns and supressors there is a separate airgun adapter kit for 50 bucks.

Once you figure it out it works great. Be sure to set your velocity ranges and bullet weights.

Boolit Buddy
    I wish their app would allow "sharing" data with a computer, cause even though I use the app to configure a string (pistol/rifle, bullet weight), I still have to take SD card and copy it to my computer for record keeping.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    There have been multiple firmware updates over time. Might want to see what yours shipped with. That being said I’m not running the most recent version. Haven’t had any issues and don’t want any that inevitably pop up when updating firmware.
    I checked this afternoon, and the version in mine is " 1.2.4 ". Interesting to me (???) the copyright is 2015. They haven't updated in five years?

geo

Boolit Grand Master

Maybe I am running the newest version then. I was part of the initial run and there were a few firmware updates early on. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, which the firmware apparently is.

1.2.4 is the latest version, just checked on Labradars site.

https://mylabradar.com/download/
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    I just ordered this trigger for the Labradar they are in stock and operate on the recoil of the firearm being used. Here's the link: https://jklprecision.com/product/labradar-trigger/

Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, minerat, and fjruple! Albeit I own the FX chrony for airguns -- https://fxairguns.com/accessories/pocket-chronograph/ -- I am hoping the LabRadar will work with, at least, my three .22 Benjamin Marauders (two are the pistol version). Possibly complemented by my 72 year old ears, these PCP airguns are both incredibly (imho) quiet and recoil free -- which, without an add-on like this, from jklprecision -- may be too quiet for the LabRadar to trigger. I've only shot .22 lr and .45 Colt past it, with most successful results. (I used minerat's soda straw aimer suggestion)
    Perhaps, Monday at camp I'll see what it does with one of the pistols, and the Marauder rifle. If it works as is -- great -- if not, however -- you provided an add-on which may hopefully enable its use with these.
    Thanks again!
    geo

George , thanks for the credit on using a straw but it was winelover's idea he gets the credit, but I fully expect to borrow it.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    George , thanks for the credit on using a straw but it was winelover's idea he gets the credit, but I fully expect to borrow it.
    Oops and apologies to winelover vis my lack of correctness ! I referenced Minerat's post #22, which was what I -- no harm intended -- referenced. Regardless, bion I amassed a fair collection of soda straws when I purchased my RCBS electronic powder dispenser years back, and one of the oft discussed "improvements" was the addition of a small length of plastic straw... (Those from Taco Bell were the favourite, but, for my dispenser, Burger King's "won out".) Anyhoos -- I used a Burger King straw, cut to about a four inch/10 cm. length -- and every shot was recorded. Granted, I was at very short distance from target, at the Pistol Range.
    My thanks to ALL who have so productively helped me make this buying experience a great one!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    My Son bought a Labradar about a year ago. He told me it wasn't working as advertised and asked me to see if I could make it work. He had bought the metal mounting plate and an external battery pack, and an aftermarket sighting device that attaches over the original sighting groove. I read and re-read the instruction manual thoroughly and figured it would be no problem. I took it to the range where I shoot and spent over an hour trying to make it consistently read, double checking aiming alignment, moving it around on the bench, trying different barrel positioning, everything but using dopler as a triggering source. I was using my Ruger Security Six .357 magnum as a test vehicle, and fired a total of 70 rounds. I got 18 readings total. I finally gave up, and began reading other's experiences with the Labradar. I suspect my problem may be all the metal at this range, the target holders are retractable via a cable crank system, so there is the metal frame of the holder, plus the cables hanging above it, and the rather massive attachment structure at the berm end. There is another possible problem since the shooting lanes (there are 12 of them) are all separated by concrete block partitions. Each shooting stall is about 4 feet wide, and naturally the gunfire noise in each of these booths is horrendous. I'm next going to try using what they call "the primative area" which is not concrete enclosed, and where shooters are allowed to advance forward of the benches and use their own target holders. I have one that I made, and it's entirely wood......no metal.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12