MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationPBcastcoTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun grease for an M1 Garand

Boolit Master
    Basically any good heavy tacky grease works well. I use Lucas red-n-tacky and also use it on all the grease points on my Kubota tractor. Used to use a moly grease on the Kubota but that stuff would stain clothes and never completely wash out. On the lift arms I usually use a small wire brush to clean the junk off and use a wire rope and chain spray lube. Frank

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Been using white lithium grease on M1 rifles, M1 carbines, M14/M1As and other firearms for 40 - 50 + years. Works as well, if not better, than issue "lubriplate" which I always suspected was basically the same.
    I used to sell Lubriplate and Lithium grease. They are exactly the same. The only difference was the packaging with Lubriplate a brand name owned by Wagner Electric & Brakes costing slightly more.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using Mobil1 synthetic grease for years for my M1, the hinge pins of my over/under shotguns and on for my other firearms, where needed. It stays the same consistency whatever the temperature, will not wash off and the red color is easy to see as you apply it. I even use it for the innards of my fishing reels. Mobil1 is the best grease I have ever used and I have tried out a bunch of them.

Boolit Master

I've been using the white lithium for several years after a Garand guy recommended it. I keep a contact-lens case filled with the grease in my range bag along with several toothpicks. A tiny bit of grease applied to any surfaces that rub seems to work well on rifles and pistols. I use the old military rule: If it slides, grease it. If it rotates, oil it.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Have you thought about looking here ... https://www.ebay.com/b/military-gun-oil/bn_7024859664
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I'm still using the G.I. grease from the tiny yellow cap jars that fit in the buttstocks recess of My Garand, M1917 & M1903A3.
    Or Outers "Gunslick". Have about a dozen small "jars" and 3 tubes of Gunslick.
    So I figure that'll last me until I go to the big range in the sky.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    the mil had a stuff called LSA was in small 2oz bottle we used it on the M 60 it is white and stinks when hot . still have about 20 or so , on A5 shotgun will last till you clean. never gets hard , use it on 45 auto and the marlin 60 never had a problem
    check the web for LSA in military

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    the mil had a stuff called LSA was in small 2oz bottle we used it on the M 60 it is white and stinks when hot . still have about 20 or so , on A5 shotgun will last till you clean. never gets hard , use it on 45 auto and the marlin 60 never had a problem
    check the web for LSA in military
    LSA is one of the best firearms lubes ever made IMHO. Sadly it's getting harder to find and more expensive. I've got two quarts and my buddy has two gallons.

If I can snag one of his gallon cans I'll be set.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I read that the military wanted a visible grease that rain wouldn't wash off for the M1 and lubriplate was born.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Ummm..............something wrong with that. The M1 was developed in the late thirties, while Lubriplate has been around since at least the early thirties. I think the government just launched into a quick research study of some sort and found what they needed right on the open market.

Boolit Buddy
    The way I understand it, Lubri-plate was chosen after some serious testing early in the war to be a replacement for whatever was used before. It was originally a food grade industrial cooking machine lubricant that had a high resistance to hot water wash out. It was also NON-TOXIC, so it would not make soldiers sick when it was turned to mist during firing, and transferred to the hands, which were seldom washed in combat and the lube was then consumed accidentally during eating.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    Like M-Tecs said , those are the originals and still very effective . I still use them but one other that I think might be a little "better" is called "Pro-Gold" . Years ago I used it on a rifle I had just parkerized , It even slowed the wear of the parkerizing in the wear areas compared to other greases .

A pal of mine used it on the hinge pin of a double shotgun he uses for sporting clays . Many thousands of rounds later the gun is still tight and it still has the blueing on the hinge pin .

Jack
    Several years ago I bought a 2oz jar of Pro Gold grease, it was a soft grease that was sticky and stringy. I had used about half the jar so when I found some on Amazon I bought another jar, it was 1oz. The grease has changed, it is darker and isn't stringy like the older stuff. I started reading reviews and it seems that Brownells bought them out and others had noticed the change. I was impressed with the original but not what they sell now.

New and Improved usually only improves the profits.

Dave

Boolit Bub
    I bought a tub of mobile one grease. It works fantastic. Lasts forever.

Boolit Buddy
    Another Mobil 1 grease fan. The Easy button!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12