Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
PBcastco Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun grease for an M1 Garand

Gun grease for an M1 Garand

Would a white Lithium based grease work okay in my M1 Garand? If not, what would you suggest?
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master

Lubriplate than Plastilube were the original spec greases. White Lithium based grease is fine.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=9020

https://m14forum.com/m14/35384-lubriplate-130a.html
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-16-2020 at 12:11 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Like M-Tecs said , those are the originals and still very effective . I still use them but one other that I think might be a little "better" is called "Pro-Gold" . Years ago I used it on a rifle I had just parkerized , It even slowed the wear of the parkerizing in the wear areas compared to other greases .

A pal of mine used it on the hinge pin of a double shotgun he uses for sporting clays . Many thousands of rounds later the gun is still tight and it still has the blueing on the hinge pin .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Just where do you buy "Pro-Gold". I haven't seen it in the gun shops around here.

Boolit Grand Master

Been using white lithium grease on M1 rifles, M1 carbines, M14/M1As and other firearms for 40 - 50 + years. Works as well, if not better, than issue "lubriplate" which I always suspected was basically the same.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=16369

I just got a tub of that grease in this video. Been lasting forever....

I mix a little plain 30 wt. motor oil into the white lithium grease so it just changes color a bit. It lasts forever-- I'm only on my 3rd little jar full in about 42 years. I use it on most any gun where a heavier lubrication in small amounts is needed. I usually daub it on with a matchstick or tiny screwdriver. I learned about this back around 1978 when I bought an AMT Hardballer, and information about this lube and how to make it was included in the box. The Hardballer was the first all-stainless 1911, but was made throughout of the same grade of stainless steel and could gaul itself without this lube, recommended by the manufacturer. It crossed my mind how similar it looked to Lubriplate, so it was a natural to use on M1s. The plain white lithium grease is kind of sticky and smeary, but mixing in the oil makes it spread better. I just put a daub here and there where it seems to be needed, and the movement of the action spreads it around.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006497.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	262211

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Just where do you buy "Pro-Gold". I haven't seen it in the gun shops around here.
    Bike shop

https://www.amazon.com/ProGold-16-Ou...g-goods&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Gold-Prod.../dp/B07CF47XWB

Never used Pro-Gold but I am a big fan of this on AR's and bolt lugs in general https://www.amazon.com/Phil-Wood-4-O...g%2C156&sr=1-2
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-16-2020 at 02:07 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Lubriplate when I had it now I use automotive moly wheel bearing grease. It's dark grey in color so you can't tell when it's dirty but I wipe it out and reapply when it's seen a couple hundred rounds. 2lb container will last forever.

Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    Lubriplate when I had it now I use automotive moly wheel bearing grease. It's dark grey in color so you can't tell when it's dirty but I wipe it out and reapply when it's seen a couple hundred rounds. 2lb container will last forever.
    Used Lubriplate, went to wheel bearing grease several years ago, think it's a little higher viscosity so it stays in place a little better. And it was already on the bench and paid for, the rate I repack bearings anymore, the 1/3 of a can that's left will last me into old folks home.

Do they even repack bearings by hand anymore?

i use MOBIL 1 wheel bearing grease

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Used Lubriplate, went to wheel bearing grease several years ago,

Do they even repack bearings by hand anymore?
    I feel vindicated.
    I use hi-temp disc brake wheel bearing grease (because I always have a tub) on my bolts & rails too.

I still grease wheel bearings by hand, just not as many or as often as I did when I drove a lot more.
    It does OK on the car & truck for thousands and thousands of miles.
    I figure a firearm isn't going to need anything it can't handle between frequent cleanings.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I read that the military wanted a visible grease that rain wouldn't wash off for the M1 and lubriplate was born.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

I heard of Moly grease at Dean's Gun restoration, and by happerstance saw grease gun tubes of it at a Harbor Freight for about $3.50 each. I reckon ONE tube might provide enough lube for 100 Garands for 100 years. I've been using it for more than a decade, and probably less than one inch of tube has been consumed -- and, I'm an OCD -- "probably a hair too much" M1 greaser! Also by happerstance, I saw some this morning in a trip to local Harbor Freight, and it's now $5.49 here.
    I also use this grease (different tube, in a grease gun) in Bearing Buddies on my CarryOn Kubota tractor trailer...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moly-graph.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	262239
    What I use.
    geo

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by derek45 View Post
    i use MOBIL 1 wheel bearing grease
    +1^^^ this. It is a clean red color and works very well. I keep a small balm jar (the kind you get at Walmarts) of it in my range box.

Ed

Boolit Master
    Almost any grease will work, maybe even bacon fat but would need reapplying often.

Mobile 1 grease

Boolit Buddy
    When I did the Advanced Maintenance Course last year, the CMP armorers were using Lucas Red n' Tacky. If I didn't have a 10 lifetime's supply of lubriplate 130A, I'd probably use that or the Mobil 1 synthetic stuff.

Let's be honest, though...We're not assaulting beaches...Pretty much any grease will work fine.

Boolit Buddy
    another vote for Mobil 1 red grease. I use the Red and Tacky on the tractor.

Boolit Bub
    I don't have an M1 yet and am curious if these heavier greases gum the gun up in freezing temps? I'd imagine so but if not I'd continue to run what works for you.

That said I'd probably try out the CherryBalmz light grease that I use in all of my guns, it is between a heavy oil and really light grease. It stays in place but is very very light and is good down to sub 0 weather and they make a winter one good down to like -50F with the AR platform. Not sure if it would be different for the M1 or not. This grease may also be too light to work well for the Garand? The military uses something similar called TW-25b which should work about the same but am not sure how well it works in sub 0 weather either.

I know freezing temps aren't a concern for most people but it's something I'm curious about since we have a couple-few months of fairly cool weather here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast